i have just been diagnosed with bipolar

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with"manic depression 20years ago, long story but ave just eventually got diagnosed as bipolar(manic depression) why take 20years of suffering, I've been given quetiapine , just started, but am worried abt weight gain as suffer eating disorder/self harm , anyone been on this med ? Could you let me know if anyone has had bad side effects?, I see my psychiatrist next Friday. Thanks

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eleanor

Sorry to hear you have bipolar and your diagnosis.

I was prescribed a typical antipsychotic for severe anxiety (long story is in the depression forum) which left me with TD (tardive dyskinesia) after only a week of taking a very low dose.

As you can imagine, I hate psychiatry and meds with a passion.

But if the meds are life saving then take them definitely.

Good luck and best wishes x

• Posted

Hi Nikki, thankyou for your comment, I know I hate typical psychotics too, tried few un past one called stellazine which caused me to fit, long story, hope u don't mind me asking what is tardia dyskinesia? I hope you are ok now x
    • Posted

Tardive dyskinesia is a serious movement disorder that is a well known side effect of antipsychotic meds (mainly typical first generation ones). It's crap in a word...

Here's Wikipedia's definition;

Tardive dyskinesia /ˈtɑːrdᵻv ˌdɪskᵻˈniːʒə/ (TD) is a difficult-to-treat and often incurable form of dyskinesia, a disorder resulting in involuntary, repetitive body movements. In this form of dyskinesia, the involuntary movements are tardive, meaning they have a slow or belated onset.[1] This neurological disorder, by definition, most frequently occurs as the result of long-term (usually at least 3 months duration) or high-dose use of antipsychotic drugs,[Note 1] or in children and infants as a side effect from usage of drugs for gastrointestinal disorders.[Note 2][2]

• Posted

Hi Nikki, I am sorry it sounds awful, I do hope doctors find some kind of cure for you, best wishes xxx
  • Posted

My nephew has been on quitiapine for ten years. It has evened out his ups and downs. But he has put on a bit of weight. He used to say that it made him quite constipated too.
    • Posted

Hi Ian, thankyou for your comment, I must admit I suppose abit of weight gain is better than having my mad head, still paranoid though so am taking slimming tablets called phenatrimine so I don't overeat as am 10st and 5ft 6 which I know is ideal for my height just don't wanna b any larger, anywaybest wishes to u and ur nephew 😊 x
  • Posted

Just googled this as follows

Phentermine, a contraction of "phenyl-tertiary-butylamine", is a psychostimulant drug of the substituted amphetamine chemical classes, with pharmacology similar to amphetamine. It is used medically as an appetite suppressant.

Phentermine is approved in Australia as an appetite suppressant and is medically prescribed as a diet pill; intended for obese patients and patients that are considered a medical risk due to weight. Phentermine is a prescription that helps aid weight-loss and is designed for short-term use with a combination of exercise and a healthy die

Have you been prescribed this drug?  And do you meet the conditions?  According to this it is only for short term use.  If you buy it over the net be very careful won't you?  x

• Posted

Oh and I presume you have checked that it is safe to take with your meds?  x

• Posted

Hiya, yeah I got from ebay, its supposed to b safe and googled meds on treato and says there is no none reaction with quetiapine, thankyou for your comment and concern xx
    • Posted

Hi hypercat,and yes they seem to as I don't have the massive appetite quetiapine gave me, they are safe and are a herbal tab like phenatime but should of said they are actually spelt phentramine, hope this helps x
    • Posted

Hi Eleanor,

I have been prescribed Duromine, which im quite sure is phentramine, in the past.

It was prescribed for me to help with the work I did. Many of my work mates used it too. We didn't use it often, but we would sometimes use it if we had to be awake for long periods of time and it was essential we stay alert. 

We later began using Modafenil (provigil).

My point is we were told that using these central nervous system stimulants could be dangerous for anyone with an established psychiatric illness such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

I think it would be a good idea if you told your psychiatrist that you are using phentramine.

I know it's none of my business but I thought I should at least tell you what we were taught about phentramine.

• Posted

Hi Ian, thankyou for your comment and yes I will mention to my psychiatrist as see him next Friday, thanks again x
  • Posted

Hi eleanor, just sending love your way. I tend to have moments of suicidal depression but I have managed to cope most of my life without doing the dirty deed by always telling myself that I will feel better tomorrow and this usually works,  My daughter is just going through the process of bipolar diagnosis, Her fits of anger are enough to scare anyone yet when she is up, she's really up and the life and sole of any party.  Let us know how you get on with your new med. xxx
    • Posted

Hi Loracia. Thankyou so much for your comment, I am exactly same as what you said your daughter is when angry and the crazy highs, I will let Uno how meds are going, best wishes to you both xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.