I am being recommended to go on methotrexate to mitigate steroids

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on steroids for 2 1/2 years now and am sticking at 7-8 prednisolone at the moment.  Still feeling very fatigued and quite sore/stiff while also experiencing some side effects of the pred eg glaucoma.  My rheumatologist has recommended methotrexate and I am discussing this with my gp on Monday.  I have done some research and am more or less decided to go down this route (provided I am ok following the pre-assessment) but am not sure what to expect in terms of pred reduction? Does anyone have any experience or advice on this? Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It may or may not help you reduce pred - it works for some people, it doesn't for others. Many doctors don't worry once you are down to that level of pred - 7 or 8mg is what is called a physiological dose, about the same amount of corticosteroid that the body produces normally and which is essential to life. It has side-effects of its own - but whether you will suffer any or none is anyone's guess. The only way you can find out is to try it.
  • Posted

I'm coming to the end of my 3rd year on Prednizone. My Rhumy put me on Methotroxate for a month. The day after my 4th dose I had bad stomach pain. It caused gastritis for me, so I was taken off of it. It took 2 months of proton pump inhibitors (Nexium) to get my gut back in order. I've had at least 3 flares since November so it may be why he attempted the Methotroxate. Good luck, give it a try. I'd give anything to be over this PMR
  • Posted

HI Louisa.... I just posted this elsewhere, but seems you need it too! 

I'm on MXT. So is Suzanne M. Below I've posted the links to the three conversations I've started regarding my experience on MXT.  I started on it back in Dec last year.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/-things-are-going-to-be-be-pretty-awful-for-you--489879

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/my-experience-with-methotrexate-and-the-auto-immune-protocol-diet-or-the-worse-than-paleo-diet--501840

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/five-months-on-mxt-an-update-514391?page=0#2124894

• Posted

Thanks so much for all of this.  It is really helpful as my head is spinning! I especially felt heartened by the middle one - am thinking a lot about how best to change diet - reducing carbs has been the way I have been going...

One silly wee thing (well not silly really) is that I have to have fortnightly blood tests and.... I will be on holiday for two weeks later in August so..... is it reasonable to have a blood test a day early one week and then a day later than normal a fortnight later?  Yes I know this is a bit of a 'first world problem' but my lovely husband has booked this holiday and he is also in need of a good break.  I'm sure it can be worked round with the nurse etc but I really want to get this right and I know how important it is to stick to the correct days for the mtx, the folic acid and of course the blood tests....  Good grief, I reckon we need a degree in all of this....!

• Posted

I love #firstworldproblems! lol

It REALLY doesn't matter when you have your blood test!

And personally I wouldn't die in a ditch over one day either side for the MXT (if you forgot to take it for instance) as long as it's followed by the 3 days of folic acic.

• Posted

That's brilliant! Thank you.  Reckon it will all fall into place once I start taking this - ie next week (provided the chest xray result is OK but I have no reason to believe it won't be).  Then I can just get on with it! Thanks for a speedy response!
    • Posted

I was expecting lots of side effects and was really worried, but my fears were completely unfounded.

(It's 9am here in Canberrra, Aust, and I've just logged on at work over a coffee - I love my job lol)

• Posted

Thanks!  I am just going to bed at eek just after midnight so I will be shattered tomorrow.  Oh well too bad, I have had some great advice - loads of stuff my doctor and rheumatologist didn't tell me - and I didn't have time to ask! Have a good day at work!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.