Vitamin D deficiency and dry eye

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,many new articles on the net about the possible role Vitamin D deficiency may play in Dry Eye Syndrome. Some of the articles state that taking D3 may also improve dry eye symptoms. I went to the eye doc last week and she told me to take 2000 mg. That at the time was because i didnt go outside as much because I just developed DE in march and right now Im quite light sensitive. Anyway I looked up D3 just to see if it might help the condition.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dry eye doesn't result from any type of bacteria, virus, or calcium condition, and as a result, Vitamin D3 isn't likely to help dry eye.

Instead, ask your doctor about omega-3 fatty acids which COULD help.  Also check in to over the counter artificial tears, or any lubricating eye drops to put in at night.

• Posted

Hi louis. I take it caus im not out in the sun as much. However sure cant make things worse. There are studies that sudgest could help. I am on 3 omega fish oil caps a day. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Lee. You are absolutely correct! I have been fighting dry eye on and off for 3 years with no help or relief. Recently I ended up with a bacterial infection as well and couldnt figure out why my body was so off whack! After extensive research I fell across a possiple link to vitamin D deficient to BOTH dry eye and the bacteria infection I was fighting. (I also dont leave the house much)  My doc thought I had 10 heads when I told him I thought vitamin D was my problem. However, I started taking D3 5000 IU a day for 2 weeks and then demanded to be tested for a deficiency. And not to my surprise I was EXTREMELY deficient! At week 3 of taking it ALL my symptoms have dissapeared...all of them...even the bacteria infection I was fighting! So, good for you for figuring out what works for you and its always a blessing when people post to inform others, as helping even one person makes for a better day!!! smile
  • Posted

Let us know how you get on.

I've been taking D3 for a while now and it could be that it coincided with my improvement of DE. Still not over the hill yet, though.

• Posted

I have had burning dry eyes for years and used every kind of drops that are supposed to fix the problem and none work.  I finally had cataract surgery and found what they recommended for cleaning the eye lids built up from drops also instantly cleared up burning eyes.  I used 3x3inch sterile gause pad rolled up and wetted tip with OCuSOFT eye wash and gently rub over eye lids for 5 to 10 seconds.  Eyes then feel wonderful and stay that way for hours.  I keep hearing people with this problem trying all kind of wetting drops with no relief.  Try the above and see if you have the same results as I had.
    • Posted

Have you ever used their retain eye drops?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.