I need THR on both hips

Posted , 7 users are following.

According to the xrays my right hip is worse than my left so surgeon has suggested I have that one done first but I have only a little pain in it & quite a lot in my left hip so would prefer that to be done first.Although I wouldn't normally go against medical advise I feel that having the painful hip done first is the best option for me.  Has anyone else been in this situation?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi verinica

I was told exactly the same but the pain was all in my left but ny surgeon did do my left 1st and 8 weeks later done my right.

Laura x

• Posted

That seems really quick. I'm not planning on having the second one done that soon.

• Posted

I just wanted to get it all over with as quickly as possible. I felt ready after 4 weeks post op to have the next one done but everyone's diffrent though its your body so its your choice.

X

• Posted

Hi Veronica,

I needed both of mine done and was told the right was worse than the left, but because I am left handed and left footed asked if I could have the left side done first. Although somewhat surprised, my surgeon agreed

Your body, your choice I should think.

Gwen xx

• Posted

Thanks Gwen, I will speak to the surgeon at my pre op & unless the pain changes will want my left one done first. 
  • Posted

Hi V,

Scary times huh? But ... also exhirating to think that this is the start to getting back your life.

Both my hips were bad and my surgeon asked which I wanted done first. I opted for the one causing the most pain.

I think I would ask to talk to your surgeon again, ask why he chose the other one and emphasize the pain you are experiencing. I would be very surprised if he did not adjust the plan - unless there was a serious reason that you did not yet appreciate.

As you may have seen from other discussions the road ahead is a rollercoaster physically and emotionally but this forum is great in helping to navigate the journey. Wishing you a good experience with your surgeon, surgery and your life onwards as a hippie.

Hugs,

• Posted

Thanks Linda,  I will speak to him at the pre op & say I want the left done first.
  • Posted

hi veronica,

warm welcome to our family of hippies. ..

wow. that is tough. .

did you ask your surgeon why? even though your left hip is hurting more (probably because it is over compensation for bad right hip)

your left hip is stronger. ..this will be necessary to support post-op. ..

do you have a date for your surgery yet and how much time will be between the

I had 2 THR surgeries within 6 months. .

it is good that you found us...no better group to have who understands what you are going through. ..unconditional love and support. ..

come back any time you have a question or concern, okay?

Big warm hug

Renee

• Posted

Thanks for your message.  I have less cartilege in the right & the surgeon  said the reason I have less pain is because I am probably not using it as much.  I have asked for op the beginning of October as this is the only time I will have someone at home with me for a few weeks. I don't know when I will have the second one done but not in a great hurry.
  • Posted

From my experience, when the doctor told me that my hip needed replacing, he also told me that it was going to get worse in pain quickly and continue to get worse which it did.
  • Posted

To veronica,61194. I hope this helps you. I have arthritis on both my hips. Last year April 27th 2015. I had total hip replacement on my right hip. The bone was just starting to rub together when I walk. I then saw the hip replacement surgeon that carried out the right total hip replacement last year. He said the arthritis is spreading on the left hip. He asked me how I feel. So I told him. He replaced me back on the total hip replacement surgery list. To have the surgery done this year. It's unusual for the surgeon to do that to u. But I guess if one hip is worse then the hip that your in pain with. I would if thought surgeon would do the pain full hip first. You could of argued with surgeon. I would of.
    • Posted

Hope all goes well for you with your 2nd hip & thanks for messaging me. I still have cartilege so have some time before I get to the stage of bone on bone but have a hip impingement on one side & a bone spur on the other so guessing that is what is giving me pain. If I was a bit younger they possibly would have done an arthroscopy rather than replacement which I would definitely have opted for given the chance.
  • Posted

Hi Veronica, 

When I was diagnosed I was told I was needing both left and right THR, however on my right side was giving me any significant pain and monility problems.  I managed to put it off for 4 years before my right side really started to give up. When i went back to the consultant I was told my left side was really bad and would benefit from THR but my right side was shot.  However as my left side is not giving me any issues, my consultant has no intention of touching it (which is fine by me). Hes always based his assessment and decision on how much pain I am in backed up by what he sees in x-rays. 

What I have found is that after the operation, my left side has started to hurt as it is doing all the work / taking the most stress.  So perhaps he is worried that if your right is in a worse condition and he does the left, that it will give up on you and you'll find it very hard to get mobilised. I'm sure if you ask them they will explain their reasoning. 

You can never ask too many questions.....

Good luck with your decisions,

David.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.