Taking FS along on vacation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Almost time for my annual vacation, and although I was hoping to have my FS behind me by now, it looks like I will be taking it along with me to Florida. This could get interesting at the Wet & Wild water park. Oh well, I'm over the worst of it, it's not gonna stop this old surfer from going for it. My wife thinks I might ruin the trip, but not going would be worse. Hell, I might even do some surfing!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi minonda. How did the MSM work? I know what you mean. I went on my kids trampoline yesterday but thought better of it and got off so I don't make things worse. Enjoy your trip and don't do anything crazy!
    • Posted

I started taking the MSM yesterday, and it's definitely doing something. It isn't doing much for range or any sudden acute pain, but it's making a difference with that on going nagging pain at rest. I believe the benefits will only increase over time as I continue to take it. I'm doing 1 1000mg capsule in the morning and 1 at night. I think it may also shorten the duration of the condition as well. I'm definitely taking it with me to Florida. Thanks for sharing your experience otherwise I never would have even considered tring this!
    • Posted

Exactly! Me too. The nagging pain that was driving me nuts day and night has eased up tremendously. The acute pain is there but we cause that with quick movements. So glad you are getting relief. I think it also helped me have a more positive outlook in terms of being able to deal with this for the long run. Not to mention I've stopped being miserable. So glad it's helping.
  • Posted

Hi Midonda,

How was your holiday in Florida?

I am taking my daughter on holiday next Tuesday for a week & am considering having a cortisone injection a few days before so that I can enjoy the trip & be more fun-mum than miserable-mum for my little girl. However, I hate taking meds etc & have relied solely on more natural remedies so far (turmeric capsules, lots of anti-inflammatory foods incl. grating fresh ginger into my juice every morning, acupuncture & cupping & using a chilli muscle rub [esp. helpful at night when I wake a few times].

What really helped during your trip to Florida?

• Posted

Hi Rose. Florida was excellent. My FS didn't affect the trip at all. In fact, the climate probably was helping the shoulder feel better as well. I think it depends on what stage one is in though as far as being able to go on a vacation like this. I'm just about completely finished with the very painful stage with all those "zingers" upon one wrong move. Now I've begun the last and longest stage of "thawing" where my shoulder is more stiff than anything else. I have been taking MSM supplements though, especially last month in Florida. This seems to really have helped move things along in regards to healing and pain reduction. I actually quit taking it recently because of such pain improvement. I probably should continue it all the way through the process. As far as what you're doing it sounds like you have it all down. I would just add MSM to your regimen as many people (including myself) have benefited wonderfully from it. I'm less than one year into this thing and am already thawing, quite a different story from my first go round with FS. Best of luck to you and don't let FS spoil any possible good times! Regards, Mike.

• Posted

I'm with Minonda on this. The MSM also helped me tremendously during our vacation in Virginia beach. I was a bit awkward holding the boogie board sideways but the kids were just happy I was doing it with them. The best payoff is without constant pain you are able to relax and sleep and be more happy. Plus Portugal won the Euro Cup so we were all psyched. I'm 9 months in a totally frozen now but just started PT last week so hopefully this will get better. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Midonda & Maddie. I am going to get some MSM supplements. I hope they are ok to take whilst also taking turmeric capsules but I shall check.

Five days until our holiday & was on the verge of going for the cortisone injection before I found out about MSM on here so thank you again.

Best wishes,

Rose

• Posted

Have just taken my first MSM 1000mg tablet with my lunch. Am going to drink plenty of water to hopefully prevent the laxative effect. Will take another with my dinner this eve.

Also have Star of Bethlehem Bach remedy now too (good for shock/grief/blocked emotions).

Will keep you posted. May start a new MSM thread.

Thank you so very much again. I feel positive that this will work & is a much gentler approach than the cortisone injection.

All the best to everyone on this forum.

• Posted

It saved me. If I forget to take it one day I notice the pain returning. I've never heard of a laxative effect and don't believe that happens. It definitely improves my sleeping and moodiness, which is another benefit. I'm thinking you'll notice a difference tonight as my first day I kept testing my shoulder all night cause I didn't believe I was sleeping. I actually thought it unfroze until I stretched it too far.

• Posted

I slept until 6am today!!! Usually, since getting FS, I wake at least once in the middle of the night so I was delighted when I noticed it was light outside already.

My arm is still rigid but the constant nagging & twinges seem to have gone! Wow!

Thanks again. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have even heard of MSM :-)

• Posted

Glad to hear that. It certainly does help. When my FS was really bad I took 1 1000mg at night and 1 in the morning. Now I just take 1 at night. Maddie is the one who convinced me though. She deserves all the credit.
    • Posted

So glad for you! I read it in an online posting. I'm sure everyone with FS googles things. Sometimes I wonder if we are more clued in than the darn medical doctors. Or maybe they get kickbacks from naproxen or ibuprofen or something? I even saw an old YouTube video on 60 minutes raving about MSM. Surprised it's such a secret!

• Posted

I just joined the forum so just saw this post. Thanks for a great laugh! smile Might as well find the humor!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.