been on escitalopram for 7 months.

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi all,

Started with 5mg then increased to 10mg. also took notriptyline but came off that 3 weeks ago.

Have still got strange side effects, pressure in head and a numb/tight face.

I wondered if I can split the 10mg and take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night?

feel a bit desperate I've been like this for a long time.

take care

Sxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi, sorry to hear you are having a difficult time

​if you are quite sure that the side effects you are experiencing are due to the escitalopram and not something else you are taking/stopped taking recently, perhaps consider switching to a different SSRI (because it seems quite unfortunate to still be stuck with the side effects you mentioned, after several months)

in a large study regarding side effects of SSRI's, it was found that the SSRI called sertraline was better tolerated than escitalopram, so perhaps you could discuss with your doctor about switching to sertraline

(or perhaps your doctor will find that your pressure in head/numbness/tightness is something else entirely unrelated, so i recommend doing to see your doctor for further investigation)

• Posted

Hi sparrow,

That's the problem I am not sure where my symptoms come from.

Diagnosed chronic depression and G.A.D. 14 years ago.

This morning so stressed (don't know why) face/jaw/neck numb and feel as if I am quivering inside and out. I've taken 0,125 clonazepam hope I gives me some relief. I don't think the escitalopram works but I can't take more than 10mg as I am very sensitive to medication.

don't really know what to do,

struggle on I guess.

take care

Sxx

• Posted

hi, it does sound like perhaps you should speak to your doctor. perhaps you would be better off with some anxiety medication, or something to relax you/your muscles.  im no doctor though so it is something you should discuss with him or her. it certainly can't do any harm to pop in for a chat.

best of luck and i hope your health will improve

• Posted

Hi sparrow,

I see a psychiatrist and at the moment take lexapro 10mg and when needed a tiny bit of clonazepam. The next step in the "protocol" is lithium. I really don't want to take any more "mind" medicatie.

I will go to my GP and see what he says about the symptoms I have.

I would like to try natural medicine but you can't mix things. so I daren't.

take care

Sxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.