Just started taking Amitriptylin last night, 50mg, feel sooo groogy, is this normal?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I think I should have taken off work today, can't seem to concentrate on anything, feel dizzy, and so tired... Will this go away?  Do I have to get use to it?  Also, do NOT want to gain weight, seems like everybody does, and what's funny is I've super hungry already this morning... help!!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi beth     ive been on amitriptylin for about 22 years i take 200mg at night ie never put on weight i was always 8st ive gained weight in the last 3 years due to my age im 50 years oldand going throught hot flush stage if your feeling groggy next day may be you should just take 25 mg instead of 50 mg see how you feel after that or may be go back to your doctor when you take your dose how much sleep are you getting i normally get 7 to 8 hours a night i feel groggy when i first awake with in 10 minutes im fine i do hope this helps 
    • Posted

I've just seen alot of people talking about gaining weight here... I will try the 25 instaed of 50 tonight.  I am 43 and already going thur that wonderful change of life us women go through, lovely!!  lol.  That's where I thank my mom, she went thru it in her late 30's!  Thank you for post right away!
  • Posted

hi beth your welcome hope  all gos well if you need any more help just message me 
  • Posted

Hi beth. 50mg seems a lot to start on IMO. I have been on it for just over 18 months on 20mg. I started on 10mg for first week then 20mg thereafter. I take mine for headaches, sleep priblems & IBS. I have never experienced weight gain & im 44.

The groggy feeling is common upon starting amitriptyline. My feelings took 3 months before they cleared & that as i say was on 20mg.

What is it that you are taking amitriptyline for. Speak to your GP to see if you can start on a lower dose (ie 25mg as others have said), before increasing.

Best of luck to you beth.

• Posted

Hello Stephen

I have issues with my whole body, it seems like! lol  I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  I've had a couple Medial Brach Blocks done, Epidural Injections,for my lower back. And now I'm going in soon for something else, forgot the name.   I have 3 bulged discs with one having a tear. And finally, I had carpal tunnel surgery done a few years ago, but now having the same symptoms, and with normal results on the ERM that I had done yesterday, he says I have fibromyagis.  Plus alot of other symptons resulting in it.

I'm just so sick of all these pain meds I've been on for almost two years due to the neck.  I want a new body!!!  lol

Thanks for listening!

Beth

I did take only 25mg last night, didn't sleep as good as the night before, but not as groggy today, a little hazy and spacey... Don't like it at all.  I sure hope this gets better soon!  I do have a call into my Dr.

• Posted

My wife is going through the symptoms of fibromyalgia but it hasnt been diagnosed officially as of yet. She has recently been put on 20mg amitriptyline. The pain you seem to be experiencing is more or less the same as what my wife experiences.
  • Posted

Hi - I agree 50mg seems a lot to start with. I once went up to 30mg for 2 days and felt dizzy so I took myself back down to 20mg.  I have just gone back on Amitripytyline (as posted previously) and have started back with 10mg for the first week and then up to 20mg - I haven't needed to take any higher dose than that thank goodness.  

I think it depends what you are taking it for and how severe your symptoms - maybe a call to the GP to see if you could start lower and build up might be a good idea.

Good luck!

• Posted

hope u adjust to it lots of people like it. the longer i stayed on it the dopier i become and i was only on 10mg.
  • Posted

Yes I think 50mg is little too hefty to start with. My doctor gave me 10 mg and then 25mg. I take a bit off the pill these days just to see how it would be like. So far I am ok. Here I see some people are over 100mg but some stay below 20 for years. I don't know how this medication will be like in the long term. 

• Posted

Regarding appetite I do have increased appetite and I can tolerate milk. But it is not the major problem because my will can control this, unlike my pain and foggy head.
  • Posted

I have been on Amatriptyaline for one month to hep with nerve pain in my left shoulder and arm caused by a defensive disk in my neck.

I started on 10mg -20 mg a night and now it's been increased to 25-50mg a night but so far only taken 25mg.

I have found that I feel tired on and off all day. I also think my concentration is somewhat hampered by the med's but I'm also menopausal and had poor concentration at times anyway.

I too am hoping that over time things improve. The pain in my neck and arm is better but sometimes I still feel it. Fingers crossed that this will become better as the drug takes its long term effects.

I'm sticking with it for now. I hope this helps.

??

• Posted

Hi polly. It is normal to feel groggy when starting amitriptyline. It took me 3 months before the effects wore off on me. Another tip i have recently learned as well is to take your dosage at the same time each night or give or take 30 minutes. I take mine at 7pm. Or 7.30pm if i am in work until 10pm.

Just keep going with it & hopefully you will soon see a difference.

Best wishes

• Posted

I started with 25 mg of amitryptiline. I am taking it to help sleep at night and it has been helping me. Been through a lot and could not sleep. I have been and during day I am fine. I only take it once at night and that is it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.