Anal fissure, botox injection?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I know there are quite a few fissure discussions already on here but was just hoping for some advice and to discuss with other people this painful problem! As I feel quite lonely sometimes as it is not something which I feel I can freely discuss with everyone!

So in October this year, I moved house and got  a new job which was quite a stressful period for me and I have read that fissures are sometimes caused by stress. I went to my GP who prescribed me rectogestic which gave me horrendous headaches, but actually really helped, there was only a sharp pain when passing a stool and not much pain afterwards (if it was soft!) However it had not properly healed so I was refered to the hospital. The consultant told me that I had a small fissure and she had seen much worse, which was quite reassuring but how can something so small cause so much pain!? She prescribed me some diltiazem cream but felt this did not work at all, made no difference and then back again I went to the hospital. She has now told me that having a botox injection is the next step in hoping to cure this problem. She explained it is injected either side of the fissure. However now reading some experiences online I have some doubts about this procedure. I am terrified of being put to sleep and even having the blood test in the pre-assessment scares me! ( I am a wimp I know.) I wonder if putting myself through all of this, when it might not even work, or worse suffer some sort of nerve damage as I have read online from others, is even worth it. She told me that they do not like to do the other surgical procedure, where they cut open the fissure, on young women as when they come to have children this puts pressure again on the fissure/scar tissue and the muscle and it can cause it to rip open. I also did not want this surgery as I am anxious of the chances of incontinence as that would ruin my life, especially as I am only 23.

I sometimes wonder if I can just live with this pain, especially as it is a 'small fissure' however I assume it can get bigger if you're straining or not having soft stools so I may have to face this issue again in the future anyway. However I do not have bleeding anymore, this only happened the first few times, maybe when the fissure was fresh? And unsure if I am having the spasms other people speak of, I just am sometimes unable to sit down after going to the toilet as the pain is quite bad. It does feel like glass when going to the toilet and sometimes am left crying and shaking, and then I think maybe I can't put up with this forever and why am I one of the unlucky ones to have this awful problem. 

I don't know of anyone else around my age suffering with this problem and also would like to hear from people who have had the botox injection? My consultant said there is quite a high success rate but reading stories online, it does not seem to be that way?

Thanks for reading, feels good to get it off my chest a little! Such a hard topic to talk about with friends! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi soph7878 --

I'm an in-shape, active 49 yr. old woman & suffered with a very painful fissure for about 2 mos. I tried diltiazem but found it did nothing but irritate my tush. So, I went ahead with the Botox treatment you're considering. It has definitely helped me! I am not having the horrendous stabbing & cramping pain I was experiencing before. However, at 1 month post-surgery, the fissure has not yet healed (I can tell because I'm still bleeding a little, at times, but not as badly as before). I'm glad I had the Botox treatment; it has definitely improved things (pain) even if I haven't yet healed the fissure yet (the doctor says it could be yet another 4 weeks of healing).

I hope that helps. For me, at least, the surgery itself was not a bad thing at all. Good luck! ❤️

AnnaSarah

• Posted

I am so glad to see so many posts here regarding the angry little fissure issues.  I have never experienced pain other than a slight pinch and then it's gone within a couple of days.  This time around I've been suffering for over a month now.  My doctor prescribed the Nifedipine ointment and that seemed to help.  Went to th doctor and he said it was healed.  A few days later I have that cutting glass pain so back on the cream and sitz baths again.  Scared of surgery and Botox.  No bleeding right now but just tolorable pain when going.  Agreed...such a hard topic to discuss but, thankful for this site.  I have done a 180 with my diet and I don't eat anything that is not healthy.  Seems to help a little. 
  • Posted

Hi! I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. I hope that by following these tips that have helped me, you will heal soon. Don't lose hope, you will get better! 

I was able to get immediate relief from using Coconut oil, applied directly to my anus and taking numerous baths during the day, adding 2 tablespoons of cocunut oil. I carry a small quantity of coconut oil with me, to use whenever needed.

To help soften and decrease the pain with a bowel movement I

increased the amount of water I drink daily, I also now take 4 fiber tablets, 3 stool softners and eat 6 prunes at night. This has been very effective for me. I plan to continue this since I am now painfree, feeling very blessed and no surgery required.

I hope this helps and you find some relief soon!!

• Posted

Good morning Soph7878

i can fully appreciate how you feel, I was in the same pain and thinking why me, dreading going to the toilet and holding the sink when I did go because of the pain. No one could really appreciate it, but not being able to sit to read a book or watch tv was a nightmare. Plus in my job I drive a lot and I just cried sometimes I was so frustrated. So I was sent for the Botox and I thought well it will be no worse. Initially the pain is still there but that is the trauma of the op, after that bingo. I kept thinking any minute now it will come back, and it did once but wholly my fault, but it healed and 18 months later still pain free.

however I am sure you have read a lot about managing your diet and the like and I am afraid that is paramount. I have stopped eating steak and pork it makes the stool hard thus increasing likelihood of a tear, and I reduced alcohol. The diet is trial and error as to what your body can cope with. I drink water at least 2 litres every day, eat fibre and avoid too much fat, so a healthy diet really, so no harm.

my doctor was quite foward thinking I am UK and he prescribed a product called Instilagel that is a syringe and a local anisthetic which you use 10 mins before bowl movement, it is briliiant as a stop gap, you may have to mention it to them as other doctors even the hospital ones had not heard of it.

so please we all feel your pain, there is light at the end of the tunnel and even now 18 months on pain free I watch what I am doing and think I wonder if today is the day it comes back, but so far so good, just a mind set change, as for the op, it helped and treated me, but you also have to eat,drink, and not forget the critter is lurking waiting for you to lapse into bad ways.

all the very best to you.

• Posted

Hi neil87282  responding to your posting below, is this an over the counter product?   

my doctor was quite foward thinking I am UK and he prescribed a product called Instilagel that is a syringe and a local anisthetic which you use 10 mins before bowl movement, it is briliiant as a stop gap, you may have to mention it to them as other doctors even the hospital ones had not heard of it.

• Posted

Hello Soph,

I had a bad fissure and hemrroids and tried the usual crams the doc gave. Sadly it made me constipated and retore the wound. I found a new doc recently and he said to use diaper rash cream. I had read of a few ladies in London who had used it successfully. So I bought Burts Bees as it has the highest amount of zinc oxide in it to protect and heal it. With in 1 1/2 week I have no burning and only a little pain. It was vastly better and continues to heal. I was using disposable syringes -without the needle) to object it into the anis as I had an internal tare as well as a tear going to out outside .

• Posted

Sorry again it keeps sending before I am finished and before I hit send -?!?? Who knows
  • Posted

Sorry that sent without me intending it to and I didn't get a chance to check the typos -anyway if your fissure is at the end of the anus try applying this a few times a day and if it is inside do the same if you have no access to get it in there. The since protects it as the stool comes through allowing it to heal from the inside out and too down if that makes sense.

I have also hear wonders about wheatgrass cram from add wheatgrass but have not had to try it as I am doing so well with this I also used H-Fissure homeopathic oil and that has also been important in the healing I am experiencing .

• Posted

A fissure is definately not something that is easy to live with....I had my anal fissure at the age of 17 and thought to myself the same question of why me?.......in my case, i had the surgery and it changed my life around. I do not know how well botox works, as I have never tried it.

Here are a list of tips you can try aside from doing the botox:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

5. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Good Luck!!!

Sincerely,

Myles 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.