Iv been off Effexor for two weeks and the withdrawal is hell

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was put on Effexor when I was 15 im 25 now and wanted to get off it to start a family

I started on 75mg xr and after a couple months went down to 37.5 advised by doctor then 37.5 every second day for couple weeks which he had told me to do this made me feel very sick every second day when I was due to take it again iv now been Effexor free for 9 days and the withdrawal is pure hell I can't sit up for long, I'm dizzy, bad vertigo, vomiting and basically feel like killing myself coz i can't handle it for much longer I went back and my doc gave me 5mg of valium to take morning and night I really don't want to get hooked on that so I haven't taken it.. How long will this last??? Iv lost my job from being to sick to work.. I'm so depressed why didn't my doc tell me how hard it is to get off it!!!!!!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there! And I think you should take the Valium for a couple of week, at least, until you get over the worst of your symptoms. You won't get hooked in a couple of weeks, and a small dose of Valium won't be hard to get off. I took Effexor for about six months, and about two weeks ago took my last dose, after tapering off VERY slowly, 2 mgs a week. Not feeling great, but I am assured in another month I should be back to normal. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. Take good care -- I find lots of exercise helps.
  • Posted

I am also withdrawing ... Take a look at the advice i was given. Its really helped. 
    • Posted

I would like to hear more about the helpful advice you were given. How wd I find it?
  • Posted

Hi there.Wonder if you are feeling any better? I am also going through Ven withdrawal and having a very bad time. I took my last dose about a month ago, after tapering off very slowly -- or so I thought! Now wondering if it's okay to take some tranquillizers (Oxazepam) to get thru this. Any advice?

• Posted

I see that your doc prescribed Valium.I think you should take it.
    • Posted

Venlafaxine withdrawal to sertraline instead.

This was the name of the topic I first started and it was Betsy who replied.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.