Tendon Rupture and Minimal Invasive Surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

I'm a 39 year old female. Fairly active been dancing competitevely and semi professionally for years, though I've slowed down but still very active.  I was working out doing boot camp...jumping down very high steps and felt the unfortunate pop in my ankle and I knew exactly what it was.  I felt no pain whatsoever but couldn't walk.  Went to the ER right away and was diagnosed.  This was Monday, May 9, 2016.  I had surgery 17 days after on Thursday, May 26, 2016.  I had the minimal invasive technique done that supposedly has a faster healing rate. He said his average healing rate for patients is 4 months from surgery.  I know I was shocked!  I will imagine it will be more like 4-6 months for me. I'm in a cast now, been laying in bed and using the I-Walk 2.0 to get around. My first post op is tomorrow morning Monday, June 5, 2016, about 10 days after surgery. 

Wish me luck!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

sorry I was doing bootcamp...jumping up and down stairs....
  • Posted

The fact that there is no pain was what really baffled me. I have not had any pain, even at time of injury. I was doing a traditional Ukrainian dance at a wedding & my leg just gave out & would not hold me up.. So it was difficult to try to figure what was wrong. I kept commenting shouldn't I be in pain. No one seemed concerned that there was no pain.

I am just starting my 10th week non operative, starting physio, First steps outside of aircast taken this week and next scheduled Doc appointment is end of July . So 4 months to walking without crutches sounds about right.

Be patient that is by far the most difficult thing I have found.

• Posted

Normally there is the excruciating bloody murder scream of pain that comes with it from what I've known. However, I didn't feel any of it hence what despite knowing exactly what the injury was I was silently hoping it was just a sprain or something. Oh well. I still haven't felt pain except 3 days after injury and up till surgery I felt a burning sensation in my tendon at like 2 or 3 am in the morning. I was howling in pain for 1 hour. I felt bad the neighbors heard me. It came like clockwork. I wanted to cut my foot off that's how bad the pain was at 2am. Then the pain disappeared after

1 hour. I haven't felt anything since surgery. I think in terms of pain, I might be one of the lucky ones.

• Posted

Today is your appointment. Let me know how it goes. Interesting to hear the difference in operative & non operative on recovery protocol. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hey!

Well I had the minimum invasive surgery. So I don't have the long gash scar on the back of the leg. My PT said I was the first Achilles repair she saw 14 days after surgery. She said normally it is about 4-6weeks but my surgeon is known to be a bit aggressive depending on the patient. It felt weird to have someone touching my Achilles after so long. Man the atrophy is serious!! In such a short amount of time!

She massaged my Achilles, cleaned it, made me point my foot and flex and move side to side. Then she did the electrodes on my calf which felt like dull scratches. Really weird.

My next PT appointment is next Wednesday. My goal is get driving again. That's the major thing for me now. My injury is on my right foot so I'm screwed.

I'm being positive with my recovery!

• Posted

Hey there first Physio was Thursday went good.really need to work on my flexibility in ankle - very stiff.so that made walking very hard.she gave me 2 stretches for my ankle. Working hard on this & improving. Walking slowly in house with no crutches & using only 1 crutch when outside. She said my sessions of 3 times a day walking for 20 minutes was too regimented. Just walk like I normally would. She showed me how to do stairs. Great relief as I have 4 stairs to get out of my house & using crutches to do this was very precarious. I ventured out with a friend for food yesterday it was kind of scary but I did it. My PT worked on the scar tissue & that was very painful. She said I can try driving so that is my goal for this weekend. I have been on a weeks vacation & go back to work Monday. First time without my boot another adventure. There is a ramp area at work that I need to figure out going down will be fine but up advised not to do. Have PT twice next week. Also gained a little weight in the past 10 weeks so that is a little tough as well, as I can't just get up & wear it off. Used to go up & down stairs about 10 times a day prior to injury. Feeling overall more secure & positive. This blog helped alot. Would have loved to have found it at time of injury

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.