Can endometric cyst recurrence be prevented?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I had an ovarian cystectomy 2 weeks back to remove a 4 cm endometriotic cyst from left ovary. Surgery went well and I recovering. Went for post op check up last week and have been started on Microgynon 30, birth control pills (has both progesterone and estrogen) to avoid cyst recurrence. For 3 cycles to start with. I am 44 and have never used pills as a method of contraception before. Have been reading up which is not always good and am aware of side effects. Have breast cysts too for a while and my maternal aunt had breast cancer and can't help but think if the BIrth control pills will start this horrible disease. Gynae does not think so.

So far, I have had light headedness, severe leg pain and heavy bleeding during period in the 4 days of using the pill. All these symptoms subsided in 3-4 hours.

Would love to hear anyone's experience with microgynon 30 particularly if you started it as a treatment for ovarian cyst recurrence. There seems to be no certainty that BCPs avoid recurrence of cysts and therefore my concern being if I am doing myself more harm than good if any of the side effects like breast cancer or clots set in. Would also be helpful to know how long you were put on the BCP. I was also told that if BCP does not suit, shots can be given which cause menopause like symptoms temporarily.

Appreciate any advice.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

First, light headedness is not unusual following surgery. Safe to assume abdominal not laproscopic?

Very important to stay hydrated. Also, has your Dr. taken blood work to check for anemia? Very common with heavy bleeding. My iron count high before my bleeding became heavy, unusual for a middle aged menstruating woman. Once the bleeding became heavy I became borderline anemic. Post surgery I became temporarily anemic and slightly woozy. (Also temporary.)

BC for 3 months would likely be to help regulate your cycle and see how well you tolerate. If your hormones are out of whack, estrogen high, this may help. Dr. will likely monitor.

Did you discuss the leg pain with your Dr.? If not, I would you suggest you do. That may just be temporary but should be noted in your file for follow up at least.

2 weeks post abdominal surgery I was doing well but moving slow. Easily tired, walking daily but baby steps, increasing a block a day.

3rd week driving short distances for quick errands. Note: incision was pubic bone to belly button. Took a few months for anemia to improve which really improved wooziness. But staying hydrated helped also.

BC should help with heavy bleeding overtime. But if you are really concerned about clots and/or breast cancer ask your Dr. to explain why he's not concerned, risks, benefits. There are other ways to reduce bleeding. Cysts in general are a normal part of your cycle but when they don't go away and grow large there are other factors to consider and your Dr. is proactively trying to prevent return.

Ask about any other factors he may have seen while he was operating. Be your own advocate. Sometimes doctors only go into detail when you show interests beyond the basics.

Hope this helps. Keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Thanks very much for sharing. Really appreciate it.

I am settling down with the BCP. The second cycle was much easier and now beginning the third. Overall recovery from surgery (laproscopy) is good.

The main concern now is breast pain, cysts and underarm pain with enlarged lymph node. I have had a mammo and 2 ultrasounds ( went for second opinion). Have several cysts but breast surgeon is not worried about them. The problem is now one sided breast pain and enlarged lymph node in the armpit plus have a small milky discharge on squeezing left nipple. Have been sent for prolactin test and asked to do full blood count to check for any inflammation / infection. All this at the breast surgeon this week.

Will be going back to my gynae for a 3 month post op review in about 3 weeks and going to ask him about the pill. don't know if it's causing the breast pain though enlarged lymph node is probably unlikely to be caused by it. I haven't had as many scan any time in my life as this year and it's starting to pull me down. Am also considering going back to my primary health care provide and ask to be referred to a third breast surgeon. Was reading up on other types of cancers which don't show up on mammo or ultrasound but can be very aggressive (IDC).

Thanks very much for your sensible advice again. I can't help but think that the pill started it all but perhaps I am reading too much into it.

• Posted

You poor girl! BC is not well tolerated by everyone. You've traded abdominal pain for breast pain, neither is good. :-(..

Your decision should be easy once you get the test results back from the breast surgeon. Sounds like he's being cautious and investigating but they always say any discharge needs a Drs. attention. Hopefully it is just a reaction to the BC or an infection. You don't want more surgery but the waiting is excruciating. I had a lump, was referred to a surgeon who wanted to "monitor" over time. Since it was so close to they surface he agreed to a lumpectomy. Turned out to be fibrocystic disease. But the peace of mind was worth it.

With the swollen lymph node too I'm sure you are going crazy waiting for tests and results. Both symptoms can be infection related though. You've been through a lot and your immune system may just be run down.

Hopefully the latest tests come back with definitive results and a good outcome. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between fear and instincts. But your instincts have gotten you this far. You are your own best advocate. If he doesn't suggest biopsy I would ask him about it. If you aren't good with the answers you receive, get the referral from your GP.

I was dismissed by 3 Drs. as just being constipated before I went to by Gyn. After 6 months of suffering I was on the operating table within 2 weeks which is the only reason I still have 2 functioning kidneys.

You are a strong woman and have done well so far so keep up the fight and stay strong!!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.