On the verge of cancelling!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Virtual colonoscopy is scheduled for Tuesday. I begin colon prep tomorrow (Monday) and am so worried about that part that I'm ready to back out. I will be drinking magnesium citrate in addition to dulcolax and have read that the magnesium citrate has caused various discomforts, including vomiting. Yuck!! I'm beyond worried about it all and am actually making myself sick today already with nervous anticipation. Thinking of postponing...:-(

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Vomiting is very rare. The worst some people feel is nausea but most don't even get that. I have had several types of preparation and magnesium citrate was the one I most preferred. It is a bit boring and naturally you feel empty inside, but unlike a stomach bug, you don't feel actually ill as long as you keep hydrated and drink everything slowly. Wet wipes and Vaseline help you getting sore. So don't worry too much and definitely don't cancel it because it can be a life saver. A day afterwards you will wonder what the fuss was about most probably. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement...I need all I can get and really do appreciate it.
  • Posted

Do NOT cancel!....or you do you will regret it... and it will soon be over. After its done you will feel proud of yourself and when you hopefully get a good result you will wonder why you worried so much, I have never had a virtual colonoscopy but have had 5 regular colonoscopies. I prepped with picolax and dulcolax and only vomited once and that was my fault for drinking too much water all at once. If you do vomit within a few hours of taking the prep you might need to take some more  BUT phone the hospital for their advice first!.Make sure you prep properly and follow the instructions to the letter...otherwise you will have to go through it all again...good luck!.
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement. Problem is, I have a real fear of vomiting , so even once would put me over the top and make me quit. I'm ashamed of myself for being so near cancelling. :-( but haven't talked myself into having it yet.
    • Posted

Sorry! I missed this, I have had this phobia since childhood and through force of will haven't vomited since I was 19!!! There is a drug obtainable only from your doctor and only for emergencies that takes the feeling off in about 8 minutes called metoclopramide which is dispensed here under the name Maxolon (or something like). I use it very sparingly but it can be a life-saver when that ghastly feeling comes on. But I had never had that feeling with the prep except when I bolted back gallons of water lol and I felt sick just for a few seconds. I think the citrate is easier to tolerate than some of the preparations to be honest.
  • Posted

Do you mean a colonoscopy scan ? If so, I had one last month and there is nothing intrusive at all. I was very apprehensive after having the first colonoscopy, I wouldn't allow them to continue as it was too painful. The virtual is absolutely nothing and just an X-ray.

Good luck.

• Posted

It's a cat scan,but from what I hear, they inject gas into you first. Wondering how uncomfortable that part is.
    • Posted

It used to be very gassy but I think they use carbon dioxide nowadays which can be absorbed by the gut. The first time I had gas inserted it was just air I think and I felt like the Michelin man and suggested they stick a pin in me so I could fly home. I gas can be a bit uncomfortable (like bloating) but it's usually more of a nuisance for a day or two than anything else. If they immobilise your gut for a few seconds with an injection that can feel weird but I didn't find it painful. Thinking back, I remember the gas stuff but it isn't a terrible memory and more good for a joke afterwards. I know relaxing is a ridiculous thing to suggest, but everything including the dentist is easier if you are not clenching which draws in and tightens all the body's entrances. So if you can consciously try to relax a bit during it all, it usually feels easier. I try and press out gently as if I am on the loo cos that opens everything up. The really bad memories I have are worrying about it - rather than the "it" itself and I hope it goes really well for you with a good result too. You're not alone!
  • Posted

Please don't walk away from this important procedure. The anticipation can be far worse than the reality. I know that was the case with my first colonoscopy. Just chug-a-lug the cold bottle and a half of magnesium citrate followed by Gator Aid. This is a critical step. After you have had your colonoscopy, you will see what a baby you were about it.  The colon and life yyou save may well be yours.
    • Posted

Thanks.....I sure wish I could fast forward. Tomorrow at this time it will be over already! I'm soo worried about getting sick to my stomach. It's by far my worse fear...
    • Posted

I have the same phobia and didn't have this problem, but take the drinking slowly.
    • Posted

Well, I went thru with it and am so happy to report that everything turned out just fine! The prep was no where near as bad as I'd expected. Drank it down fairly quickly with a straw. Have to say that the worse part was having to drink so much water! But I did it and never felt a bit nauseated. Only thing that surprised me was the fact that my insides didn't feel normal again for 2-3 days after the procedure. Thanks to all who helped. My fear was far worse than the actual deal. If I can do it, anyone can do it. I was terrified and came really close to cancelling!
    • Posted

Well done! I think you have described it perfectly. It does feel a bit odd for a few days after but it is all filling up again, I suppose, and it doubtless wonders what you have been playing at with osmotic laxatives and tubes going the wrong way...I genuinely did not think you would have any problem with nausea because I can feel nauseated very easily myself but did not find it with this process. I think the worst is that you feel a bit distended from drinking so much liquid. Keep a record of what you wrote because if you have another one all the old fears return and it's useful to have a written record of how you actually felt back then. Good luck with everything and well done for having the courage to do it. That alone makes you feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.