Citalopram to escitalapram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I've been on citalopram for 6 months for anxiety and depression didn't seem to be helping much so doc switch me to escitalapram has anyone done this switch and felt they were better what my doc said is they are better for anxiety

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi again Don 

My doctor said the same that Lexapro is better for anxiety. I have had a seemless  transition and losing a little weight now which is good. I'm glad I made the switch and hope it helps you with those intrusive thoughts. 

Best Wishes Felis 

• Posted

hello you didnt mention what dosage of citalopram you have been taking

i would recommend trying escitalopram, but perhaps dont start too high as you may experience some anxiety as your body gets used to the medication (so perhaps just start on 10mg for 2 weeks and consider going up if necessary and are not getting too much unwanted side effects) - personally i was on 10mg for 3 weeks, and then 15mg for about a month, and then moved up to 20mg

• Posted

I was on 30mg at the end then went down to 20mg for a week then swoped to 10mg of escitalapram thanks for advice
  • Posted

I have mixed feelings. For most of the time my anxiety got worse especially in the morning. Lately I have been a bit better on 15-17mgs. It is very hard to taper off 

of. In some ways I wish I never took it. 

• Posted

i also have the problem of some anxiety with escitalopram as soon as i wake up, and also a friend i have, has the same issue with escitalopram of morning anxiety. i had the morning anxiety also when i took 15mg, but that side effect went away after about 2 weeks. i am giving myself longer on 20mg for the morning anxiety to go away, and after 4 weeks if it does not go away, i will go back down to 15mg (but i think i prefer 20mg as it really has kicked away my depression and i have my strength back which is a good feeling).   15mg was working quite good also.  well, it was certainly better than not taking anything, because then i felt awful, depressed, suicidal, no interest in anything, dont want to be anywhere near other people, do not want to go outdoors, aches and pains in my body, poor sleep, nightmares, etc.

the escitalopram has helped with all of those issues. but it took a long time to work for me. i would say 3-4 months.  (but hopefully some people are luckier and feel better faster than me).

keep going.

• Posted

Yes, I found the same & switched to escitalopram some 4yrs ago. i now only take 15mg every morning & it controls my anxiety & depression very well. I had a blip several months ago, & went upto 20mg temp for few weeks, but my problem turned out to be perimenopause for which i am now on hrt. so i am back down to 15mg daily. definately a better drug than citalopram.
  • Posted

I started using escitalapram again after being on another antidepressant that didn't work so well. I have been on escitalapram a good month now and am still experiencing some increased anxiety from it. I first was on 10 mg for two days an then went to 20mg as my doctor requested. I also was given a perscription for Lorazapam 1mg tablets which I use only when absoluely needed when I can't calm down an even then I only take 1/2 a tablet. My question is, how much longer will it take for my anxiety from being on the escitalapram to go away? I try not to take the Lorazapam and fortunately I only have to take one 1/2 tablet when I do.  Please tell me if this is normal.
    • Posted

hello sally, first off regarding my post above, i can say now that the anxiety i was getting with 20mg has completely gone now, which is great

regarding you, im quite surprised your doctor rushed you up to 20mg so fast.  in my opinion it would have been better to take 10mg for 2-3 weeks, then 15mg for 2-3 weeks, and then up to 20mg  (and, for people more sensitive to medication, a start on 5mg for a week might be a good idea before going to 10mg)

your anxiety you have will go away soon (perhaps 1 or 2 weeks) so keep going,

however if it's really very bad unbearable anxiety which you didnt have before taking this medication, perhaps go to 15mg dose until you feel the anxiety is eased, and then you could move up to 20mg again if you feel the escitalopram is not working as well as you hoped

keep us posted here on how you are doing -- dont worry, you dont have too far to go  before you will be feeling good again

• Posted

Hi Don. I am on escitalopram 15mg & have been for a few years. I completely agree with what sparrow just said about your dosing. maybe try 15mg for a few weeks then increase to 20mg to minimise initial side effects. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.