Please help desperate

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please, I'm self diagnosing myself ! I have said before on forum regarding my symptoms . Pain, throbbing, burning , discomfort . Especially more after defecation! There's no bleeding thank god ! This has been a problem for almost a year , everyday ! I was suppose to get a sigmoidoscopy but chicken out! This week a surgeon is suppose to evaluate my condition . I've had hemorroids , so you can rule that out , don't know if that's still an issue though . Desperately trying to find any feedback to what might be causing this health issue of mine . If anyone shares any similarities to this condition , and what you think it might be . It will be greatly appreciated thanks . Hope to hear a response !

0 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are not alone. Your simtoms say Anal fissure all the way. I've been dealing with it for over a year myself. I don't need to explanation the pain. It's the worse! It's a daily battle but I have learned to deal with it. I tried crazy diets which didn't work. I now treat myself with laxatives and strategic pooping. I take a natural vegtable laxative before I go to bed. When I have to go in the morning I try to hold off as l long as I can but when it's time I never sit. I stand with my back to the toilet and almost poop standing but slowly bend down and aim as good as possible to hit the target. Sometimes good and sometimes clean up. I'm getting good at it. I still get pain most days but with normal activity I'm pain free most of the day. I hope this helps you. Keep me posted.
    • Posted

Thanks Greg . I appreciate that very much. Yes ! All this time it point to a fissure ! Everyday there's pain as though like when you have a scrape and it stings . There's some okay days that I'll be fine , but diet of what I eat has a lot to do with it I guess . I hope this doc can see what the issue is , I heard the sig is not pleasant . I really hope it's that and not something worst . Thanks again
    • Posted

I hear you. Sergery has crossed my mind but that's a last resort. Try to avoid the hard to digest stuff. Tortilla chips. Nuts etc. I try to drink a lot of water and go heavy with veggies and fruit. Let me know what the doc says.
    • Posted

Will do . Thanks a lot , and yes fruits , veggies , lots of water . I'll keep you posted .
    • Posted

Hello Greg,

Just got back from seeing the surgeon , yup! Anal fissure all the way ! Basically she prescribed some ointments , a high fiber intake . She said in two months she wants to see me , if there's no improvement surgery!! Botox ? And something esle she mentioned . Point is I'm anxious , I don't want to get surgery . When I came in I explained to her what I'm going through minus that after defecation pain is more . She barely checked and said fissure . I'm hoping that a professional that studied this trait knows what she diagnose me with , it was brief and all she said was fissure , I guess I'm hoping just because I gave the power of suggestion . She went with my suspicion of confirming a fissure .

• Posted

Did she actually take a look or did she just say fissure after hearing your symptoms?

Also, when taking the fiber, make sure to take lots of water with it. And do not drown yourself with too much fiber...If you eat so much fiber that your poop is liquidy, the acid in the liquidy poop could sustain and even make the problem worse. Goal is soft formed stools.

Good Luck!

• Posted

She had me on my left side , and saw the outside , then inserted finger and said fissure
    • Posted

Ok good...Just wanted to make sure she did not just infer a fissure and actually saw one....If you need any more advice post back!

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Yes, she barely somewhat inserted her finger , and mentioned a fissure . Giving her the benefit of the doubt , this is her profession and specialty , I would assume this is a diagnosis that she'll be able to detect right away? Now my next main question is can the fissure heal? Giving ointments , and a regiment of fiber . I don't want to get surgery .
    • Posted

The fissure can definately heal, especially since yours does not sound as bad as some of them can be. Just drink lots of water, take fiber but not too much, try to walk around. I wouldn't do heavy lifting. And after  you go to the bathroom try to rest. What ointment did she give you and what is it for?
    • Posted

I know guys aren't into baths but see if you can sit in a bit of warm water after going this will clean the area and bring circulation to it to help it heal as well as calm the sphincter .

Go easy on yourself stick to the diet and get off feet after going if you can.

Keep us posted!!

• Posted

Yeah, like Jennifer said, I would try the baths.

However, if you do not feel relief from the baths or feel that it is making it feel worse, I would skip out on them. Make sure that your bathtub is clean and maybe buy a spa mat for your bath so your back doesnt hurt when laying down. 

• Posted

Hey Marcus ,

You just mentioned not to walk or lift heavy things ? If you do know the answer I go to my jogging , slash running exercise at least 3 days a week . Plus if you do know those exercise machines they put in parks , there's one that you sit and and you're basically pulling your own body weight , up and down . You think this is a bad thing to do ? Meaning aggravating the fissure more , or making it worst ?

• Posted

To be honest, and there may be people out there to say otherwise, I would avoid strenuous exercise like weight lifting and things like this. Although they do not directly affect your fissure, they could produce a hemmroid and you do not want to be dealing with a hemmroid on top of a fissure. I am not familiar with the machines they put in the parks.

That's not to say don't exercise, just do not do something that is overstrenuous on your body. The less stress you put your body through, the faster your body will heal.

You do want to avoid bikeriding though as that puts pressure directly on your butt, something you definately want to avoid. 

• Posted

Got it. When I do cardio it helps me , I guess it's more relaxing . It releases stress from what I'm feeling I guess . Yea I will stop doing heavy stuff , it's more for working out your back I think . (That machine I mentioned when lifting your own body weight )
    • Posted

Oh and everyone says use Epsom salt and trust me I am a huge fan!! I use it daily in my bath. But when I got this fissure I thought the more the better and sat in the bath in a bit of warm for about 15 mins a few times a day and added a lot of Epsom and it made it worse! It dried it out and made it prone to cracking and opening back up. I over did it for sure!! So try the bath it should ease it and you can just sit your rump in there and use some nice warm water and see how it feels. You cans even try the salts but be moderate. Don't over do anything one way or another find your balance and keep it up till it heals!! We will get there 😊Everyone's body is different so what works for me might not work for you and that is ok. Just do what works for you!
    • Posted

I will thanks a lot . People have made a post about applying coconut oil ? And if you have mentioned , what are the main killers food wise to try to avoid ? Now being a fissure victim . Oh, by the way did your fissure healed already ?
    • Posted

Avoid dark dark meat as it can be constipating. I would eat chicken instead. You can eat dark meat just do not eat too much!
    • Posted

I agree with Myles-avoid spicy and red meat. Eat white meat and fish if you like it. Include oils in your diet they help keep things lubricated and help heal tissue as well as reduce inflammation. Oils like olive, fish and flax oil. Avoid tortilla chips as they hurt and scratch on the way out. Eat lots of veggies and steamed or grilled veggies. Eat easy to digest foods -soft foods. I did the coconut oil a lot I made suppositories out of it and also applied on the outside but the diaper rash cream with the 40% zinc oxcide helped 100% more for me. I had a bad fissure on the inside that I have no awareness of now it pain, no burning -nothing!! I have a small tear that goes to the outside that now feels like a paper cut but no burning and little pain. I think it is the tail end of the one that was inside and has just been slower to heal as I had so many set backs. So now I feel 90% and am just being very careful to keep everything the same and moving and flowing if you know what I mean. I would just stick with what the doc gave you and see how you do and then if you need to try other things you can. You can and may very well heal right up using what the doc gave you. they say 80% so do be positive and you have many other options before worrying about surgry. I tell myself that all the time.

I got the sqatty potty yesterday -it is like a stool that puts your feet and legs in the right position for stool flow-Myles suggesting squatting and I found this to try. So far so good!

• Posted

As another point, make sure to not eat large volumes of sticky white rice as it is pretty contipating. You can eat some white rice, but just like Jennifer says, take everything in moderation. So if you do eat some white ric, make sure to drink lots of water and have some vegetables/fiber too.
    • Posted

Thanks a lot , this means a lot because I'm clueless ! And it's horrible to go through this . I was playing basketball with my son right now , and I feel the irritation , but he's obsess with this sport . So I didn't want to let him down , considering that I'm in ouch mode right now .
    • Posted

When I had my fissure I did not even know about this website. Having no support is horrible. Having people who know about the condition, who have gone through it, who you don't feel embarassed about asking different things about this condition, these things are what make this website great and keep positive attitudes and hopes up for those who still have the fissure!

Keep up your spirits. I am happy to help anytime. 

• Posted

Many thanks! Honestly since we're all here sharing our dirty clothes ,and we are in the fissure family ! Part of me is so negative that I'm here accepting my fate , that I'm not going to heal , that surgery will be required because it's over whelming having the discipline in maintaining this strict diet , and routine in getting better . I guess things never really turn out for the good , with best results in my life . Things are never handed to me . Sad but true
    • Posted

Your welcome but trust me you guys are really helping me too!! This is a horrible scary thing to go through !!
    • Posted

For me too!! I was so terrified I wouldn't heal and would have to have surgery and that that wouldn't even work for me!! The doc said 80% of people get over this without surgery and I was like ok I'll be part of the 80% but inside I was terrified. I have chemical sensitivity so anetheasa would be horrible for me and is one of my biggest fears!! It could make me sick for weeks and maybe even a huge setback on my health!! And then I didn't heal and had all the setbacks the fear grew and grew and the pain was brutal and the mental aspect was brutal and the diet was brutal!! But I knew my body was designed to heal and my faith is such that I had to keep my eyes on God and have Him lead me. I found a new doc and have made amazing progress and now believe I am close to the end of this nightmare !!

But you know what in the end knowing that there are other options including surgery as a last resort is a comfort as I will do anything to make it all go away !! You are not alone my life has been very hard but now I choose to believe that was the past and to hope and expect things to be easier it is a mental battle and I believe the more we believe that in our heart that more we will manifest it instead of what we know from past experience and projecting that fear into the future !! Again it is a battle in he mind.... Baby steps are really big steps when overcoming in this area!!

Take comfort knowing that you are not alone people get it ... I get it !!

• Posted

See! Again I don't want surgery ! The doc mostly put emphasis on the fiber aspect . That fiber was the solution to resolve their fissure ( scramble the word fissure , get rid of the letter f& r ! Issue !
    • Posted

There are many options before you have to consider surgery. You have a good chance of healing this with the cream the doc gave you!!
    • Posted

Well here's the cream that she prescibed ,diltiazem 2% and the same again diltiazem ( rectal gel ) and as I mentioned she mostly brought the fiber aspect of it . And plus she didn't offer any other choices but , surgery !
    • Posted

To be honest Erick, diltazem is said to be a very effective product. On some people it works and on some it doesn't. My doc gave me the exact cream, it wasn't effective in my case, and I decided to have the surgery. But now after the surgery, I have been pain free for about 2 years almost. When you read about surgery online, it does sound scary, frightening, and stressful. But fortunately, like Jennifer said, surgery s an option andso are other options. Obviously it is best to heal naturally, and a fissure is a hard thing to heal naturally, but at least there are other options out there in case the natural way does not work. Give it your best effort, really try, and yes it will be aggravating at times. 

With my fissure, I felt like I was getting a lot better one week, and the next day I went back to square one. But what you have to realize is that you are not alone. You are not the only person who god has afflicted with this illness. Yes, it sucks. It sucks so much. It is not comfortable, its aggravating, its annoying to have people do stuff for you. It's aggravating that you have to lie to friends and coworkers because you don't want to get made fun of for something that causing you a lot of pain. It's annoying to have to ask other people for help doing stuff. It sucks that you have to wait this out so long and it can't just heal in one day. It's very unpleasant. But you have to hang in there. If you are uncomfortable, distract yoruself. Watch a movie, read a book, listen to music. If that doesn't work, take ibuprofen. The key to healing a fissure is to set your mind to it. I thought of it almost like getting an assignment done and having a daily schedule. You know like go to the bathroom,  take a bath drink water,, eat some fiber, relax in bed, drink water, watch a movie, do some work, go walking, relax, take a bath.

Keeping your mind on the end goal (which is possible without surgery, and if you do have to get surgery (which I did) then you will get through it) is the key to successfully healing a fissure.

• Posted

Wow! Those were some profound words , really! And again thanks for your support in responding to someone you don't know , but through the source of the Internet we could reach out our painful experiences that life can throw . And yes this sucks! Everyday the same pain is with you , there's days that I'm ok , then I know life can't be awesome 24/7 ! So there I wait in anticipation damn fissure will start aggravation me ! Then part of me accepts the pain , it becomes part of me and I have to learn how to manipulate it! Your fissure was bad though? Did you bleed ? Today at docs , one of the nurses told this lady to stop getting up or else you're going to bleed ! Creepy listening to that . Other people there in each room getting tests done .
    • Posted

I bled every day I went to the bathroom, and a lot of blood, and then I had around a two minute grace period to get into my bed in a comfrotable positions for waves of spasms to come over me an immese pain beyond words to describe. So all I am trying to tell you though all my words is it does suck, but it could be a lot worse. I don't like comparing pain to other people's pain because then that makes some people's pain less justified, but really you do have to be grateful that it might not be bad.

Carrying on that note, in my life currently, I am grateful for a lot of things that I wasn't before. I even say a short prayer every time I go to the bathroom because after going through something like this, any time you can go to the bathroom blood free and pain free, it is a good day

• Posted

Only other words of advice I can give is if you do end up having the surgery, research the surgeon thoroughly. You get someone who has done the procedure more than hundred times, you are in good hands a likeliness of the problems you read go down significantly.
    • Posted

Amen to that ! I just try to understand for over a year , what happen?! Everyday I went through emotionall agony , what am I going through ?! What do I have ?! I just want my life back in the sense of pain free . I pray that this treatment cures me ! I want my life back .
    • Posted

I completely understand your agravation. Going through something like this seems unreal. It's almost like waking up to a nightmare that never goes away.

Over time it will if you stay strong and do what you need to do. 

• Posted

Do you know what issues can happen in the long run , if you basically live with this issue ? Can you have serious consequences if left untreated ?
    • Posted

Your issue if left untreated is dealing with the issue as far as I'm concerned. Don't read all the horror stories you hear online. You have to realize the majority of the people who post online (not all of them) usually haave bad experiences with surgeries, botox, and everything else you hear about. People who usually recover from surgery do not post online for they have no reason to. They healed, they gott better, they moved on with their life. I know you are probably very worried about all the things that could happen, and they can happen, but realize that the chances are slim, and you can survivie if you put your mind to it. 
    • Posted

What I mean is that anything is possible, but you shouldn't focus on all the negatives out there because they will deter you from healing on your own. Stay positive and focus on your own individual situation. The fact that you posted that you were with your son playing basketball should make you realize you truly do not  have it bad AT ALL as bad as some other people. Count your blessings, stay positive, stick to your goals, and have an agenda to beat this thing. Only you can make that happen, so you must stay positive and have a clear mind.
    • Posted

Got it and thanks again . But I am one to tolerate pain . Meaning the fact that I was playing , was a challenge literally . But yes again I will do my part to heal .
    • Posted

Everything Myles said is truth with regards to being able to heal this and focusing on the goal and having hope and expecarions of it healing. I have two adopted babies and my fissure was so bad I couldn't stand or take care of them. I wanted to be knocked out daily and dreamed of a robber coming in and shooting me. I am not minimizing your pain but saying if I can get this much better so can you and it will happen one way or another. I was hopeless and terrified to eat and poop. It was so traumatic. Hang in there you will make progress and we are here to support and encourage you.

God wants you well he doesn't want you to suffer. This world is a fallen world and bad things happen. Thank God for all the good trust his word that he wants to heal you and focus on the good. Do your diet , walking or what ever mild excersize and things will get better.

• Posted

I sure don't want surgery either.  I've never had one that lasted this long on and off.  The days I see no blood I feel relief.  Who would have ever thought that in my early 50's all I can think about is going to the bathroom.  This is horrible and I am tired of it.  I first had a fissure in 1987 with the birth of my daughter. Went years with no issues and then in the mid 90's another and then on and off a few years and now this one I've had since March.  I don't have any pain like I did the first 3 weeks but, I know it is there.  So frustrated.  I hope yours heals up.
    • Posted

Thanks Elizabeth , my issue as I said before started when I had those hemorrhoids, then everything progress ! that started early last year , and here I am dealing with the alleged fissure ! I'm 38 years old , and here I am dealing with this ! When i was young nothing worried me no care at all! Then life began and stressed became a factor in all this . A big chunk comes from stress as well . Today I applied that diltiazem, don't know what I'm suppose to feel with this yet .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.