Switching from citalopram to escitalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there 5 weeks ago I switched from citalopram to escitalopram. I was on escitalopram for 10 years with a couple of 3 month breaks but last year had a major melt down so I was put on sertraline for 3 months then venlaflaxne then citalopram and all weren't great and gave me horrendous side effects so I'm back on escitalopram! Side effects are better but mornings are still a struggle! I take 10 mg every morning about 7am and an hour later I feel a bit spaced out and nervous and a bit of nausea and a bit shaky this does wear off however around lunch time and by evening I feel as nothing is wrong with me! I also have lack of motivation until lunch time but I can't remember feeling like this last time I was on them! I know 5 weeks is early stages and I've had a lots of swapping around meds in the last year but I just want to stop feeling like this and stop thinking about it all the time!

Anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi polly, in my opinion, (for many people)  5 weeks is often not always enough time to get over the side effects. from my personal experience i had side effects (for example: morning anxiety mainly, and negative thinking) for about 8 weeks when starting out on escitalopram.  i also have a friend who has started on escitalopram, and after 6 weeks she is still getting some side effects (but they are becoming less troublesome now so she is making good progress).

i certainly know how awful it can be when taking antidepressants that you can 'feel worse before you feel better', -- this is a real thing, which happens, as i have experienced it myself. i really believe it is important to keep going and not give up (in my case, after a few months of taking escitalopram 20mg (starting at 10mg for 2-3 weeks, then 15mg 2-3 weeks), im felling great with no depression and anxiety. if i would have given up without putting up with those annoying startup side effects (which can last a few months unfortunately), i would be right back to square one, trying to live life with depression/anxiety, which as many of us know, on our worst days can literally be impossible, and can lead on to thoughts of deep despair and perhaps even suicidal ideation.  nobody deserves to live like that.       keep going with getting better. dont worry you shouldn't have too long to go now

• Posted

Thank you so much it does help to read other people's story's too!
    • Posted

Hi don

I'm not doing too bad thanks mornings are still a bit funny with anxiety but all in all ok. How about you? X

• Posted

This is only week 2 and I feel better than when I was on cit anxiety still there and a bit moody at times but still early day Hoping things get better over the next few weeks 😃

How long did it take for it to kick in propley ?

• Posted

I'm only on week 5 bout to start week 6 so still early too but definitley different to citalopram however I still find its best to keep myself busy o keep the anxiety at bay xx
    • Posted

hi polly, that annoying morning anxiety lasted about 8 weeks for me, but im ok now without any anxiety so dont worry, soon that will pass for you also (even though it seems like it never will.  i know the feeling!)

keep us posted on how you are doing smile

(and well done for keeping yourself busy. because one thing which is for sure: depression loves boredom!    i have found reading a book to be a great distraction, even if you dont feel like reading. just read something helps take your mind off yourself for a bit)

• Posted

Hi Sparrow01, I joined this group because my 19-yr old daughter has anxiety and 3 weeks ago, it may have developed almost into depression. She has had a lot on her plate and all through her teen years, has been battling it. She is strong but she suffered a lot from mental anguish --- pain, anxiety, etc. After thoroughly thinking about it, she finally started medication and started Citalopram three weeks ago. We have seen very scary side effects during the first two days -- muscle twitching, fast shallow breathing, heightened anxiety, but they have finally died down. Right now, the side effects she goes through are muscle and joint pains, bruising, jaw clenching, etc. I read that there are less side effects from Cipralex. Per her doctor's advice, we are switching her to Cipralex tonight, 10 mg, as in Citalopram. 

We just want to be sure we are on guard as to any side effects that can happen when switching to Cipralex. She has been on Citalopram for 16 days now. 

Thanks so much for your help and input. 

Warmest regards. 

• Posted

Hi bernjd.  I'm just wondering if your daughter had more success with Cipralex/Escitalopram than Citalopram.  You specifically mentioned muscle/joint pain as a problem with Citalopram.  This is the main side effect I'm considering switching.  I'd be grateful to hear if you noticed any differences on Cipralex.  Kind regards,

JB

• Posted

My story is almost identical. I am going through the same problems only now I don't feel as alone. After six months I have determined that the Escitalopram must be causing this. However when I try to taper off I get depressed aroung 10mgs. At 15mgs I can function. The nervous stomache and anxiety is almost always there. I have noticed marijuanna aleaviates the symptoms for a day or two but I am not a regular smoker. So my plan is to switch to another medication slowly just not sure which.

The withdrawl from this drug is very difficult so I take 1/8 off each step for 3 weeks.

Still feel dizzy,anxious but I can get through. If you want to talk more feel free because I do understand I am sorry I just don't have all the answers yet.

• Posted

hi, if escitalopram not working out for you, have you tried sertraline instead. in some independent studies it was found that sertraline tended to be one of the better meds with regards to minimal side effects

(but dont start on too high a dose of course, so you body has time to adjust ..  eg. start low and increase slowly in dose, over 4-6 weeks (if necessary))

• Posted

Hi - did you always have the nervous stomach and anxiety or was it caused by the escitalopram. From reading other posts it does seem to cause a lot of anxiety at first and that does seem to continue for some..
  • Posted

Hi foxy

How r u doing ?

• Posted

Hi don

Yes I'm doing much better now thank you. Things seem to finally be ok but I don't like to speak to soon! How are things with you?

• Posted

I'm ok a lot better than when I was on citalopram ?? Just started week 4 so things sould improve even more fingers crossed nice to here your doing well ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.