Recently diagnosed eczema suffering TSW

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I am in my mid 60s and recently diagnosed eczema following a biopsy. Have very reluctantly been on tapered Prednisolone steroids for some 12 or more weeks as was abroad for 5 weeks. Finished a few days ago and am now covered on top half body and awaiting it to affect my legs. I assume that this is Topical Steroid reaction. My (private) dermatologist mentioned prescribing a cream which means sunlight affects skin. I love the sun and would hate to sensitive to it. Can anyone advise what the cream is/ does and is the effect reversible. I ask on this forum as I should have seen the Dermy before I ended the course so skin was clear. I wasn't prepared to continue taking steroids. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you are suffering at the moment.  I don't know what cream your Derm is thinking about but I can tell you that I take a drug orally for an auto immune skin disease, that prevents me from going in the sun because it can cause skin cancer.  It is a steroid sparing agent, called Mycophenolate Mofetil.

You may well have to weigh up the pros & cons of what your Derm wants to prescribe & the eczema.

• Posted

Have you looked into TSW (topical steroid withdrawal syndrome/red skin syndrome) ?
  • Posted

Hi Leighites,

I'm sorry to hear your having difficulties. Prednisone does make you senstive to the sun and also topical steriods (to a lesser degre). Sometimes eczema can become exacerbated by the sun.

I honestly can not think of a single cream for eczema that does not make you senstive to the sun. If your flare up is this severe to warrant prednisone, I suggest you hang up your sun suit for just a little while until you clear.

I hope you feel better and can collect some rays on another day ; )

Oxygen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.