Radiating neck pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all. I am in computer desk job for 10 years. For the past 3 years I am having neck pain from the base of my skull to the shoulders and to my fingers accompanied by burning sensation. MRI shows cervical disc compression with bulging disc at C4 C5, C5 C6 and C6 C7.

I checked with numerous doctors and all asked me to exercise or go for surgery.

The exercises taught by PT dis not help at all.

I dont want surgery. I want to heal with exercises. Can some one tell me what all exercises to do and how often ?

I have a 4 month old to care for. With this pain 24x7 my life has become miserable. I have taken a break from work too.

Please advice

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Lak,  a lot depends on the discs and where they are compressing (Which Direction)

1) Stabilise the neck  so you have little or no pain

2) Build up really slowly when you do the exercises

3) Pay attention to your posture  Chest Head shoulders neck

4) Find a really good therapist that wants you to get better

5)  Once you know which way the neck disc bulges you can start improving it

Meanwhile drink at least 2 -3 litres of water a day hydrate discs

Tuck chin in ala  double chin lookup with your eyes and move the head side side slowly for 45 secs   5 times a day

Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you. With a 4 month old to care for, I hardly have time for myself. I should have taken corrective actions yeas before when the symptoms showed . I will have to some how squeeze in time to get my health back on track.
    • Posted

Normally the side you get the pain on is the bulging side I had a bad episode the Ryder Cup 2 years ago the doctor who treated me was the Dr for Englands rugby team. He Placed his thumb on point of pain and below afterwards push hard while I pushed against his force , he then asked me to relax and would gently stretch my head away fromthat side. in 5 mins my symptoms went!   He told  with all the head & neck knocks his rugby players had oftenresulted in neck shoulder arm numbness.   
    • Posted

Wow.. I wish I could find such a doctor in the place where I live. I had an episode of syncope one day when my PT gently massgaed my cervical neck. So giving my neck to some one to push hard or crack gives me the shivers.

My pain is bilateral. So the disc is bulging on either side and rubbing the nerve exiting the spinal cord ?

• Posted

As my diagnosis was similar I wore a neck brace to take the weight off my neck, heat treatments ad message . I always sleep with neck support. 

See your dr for meds to help relax the muscles around the neck.

over time mine has gotten better. Hope your will too!

good luck

HOPE

• Posted

Thank you. Could you please let me know what kind of neck support you use while sleeping ?
    • Posted

Yes of course. It's filled with small beads with a washable outer case. I also like to use lavender oil to sprinkle on inside of the neck support. The smell is relaxing. 

Since using this I have had very little issues with my neck. Knock on wood. Also be careful about the things you do during the day. Be sure you wear back and neck support if needed. 

If if you would like a web site or picture I could PM it to you. 

See the many types of neck rest supports on line. 

• Posted

Thank you very much. I am going to look for one now and order.
  • Posted

sorry to say if you have trying PT and several types of workout and the pain shoots more and the numness gets no relief, surgery my be you only option. I started withc5-c6. that was supposed to do me good for ten years. two yrs later i HAD to have c4-c7 and two yrs later c4-c7 from the back of my neck and will have a fourth c1-c3 which will fuse at 100%. sometimes u can skip it ut sometimes you cant. the one concistant is life long pain meds. sorry
    • Posted

I actually did not stick with any exercise routine for more than 2 weeka. I would give up because of pain. I want to try again. I don't have nerve root compromised. don't have numbness. It is the pain. The pain 24x7.
    • Posted

Have you tried to wear a knee brace. That along with ice and rest for a few days can help. It all depends on the extent of the injury.
    • Posted

neck brace not knee.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.