Topamax for silent migraines?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone tried it? I heard it's not a good one to try out first.

Is there another I should try before that one?

And does Topamax make you dizzy?

The first neurologist I went to gave it to me for headaches I have. I don't see her anymore and I wasn't necessarily diagnosed with migraines (I have ice pick headaches & occipital neuralgia) but I'm willing to try it to find a cause to my vertigo.

Thanks!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Topimax is often the first medication given from what I understand. It is often called Dopimax (as in it makes you a dope)or Stupid pills (as in it makes you feel stupid). For many people it makes them very foggy. My husband would walk out of his office to do something and had no clue what or where he had just come from. He would drive to a customers location and have no clue how he got there. It didn't help him anyway so he was changed to something else. It does work for some people and not everyone feels that much "fog" while on it.
    • Posted

Thank u! I feel like I do that now anyway lol

My friend started it and it's worked wonders for her.

• Posted

Hi Hayhue

I have written many times on here about this drug and there are many more in agreement with me.  It is a dangerous drug with awful side effects and in my case, which was extrememly rare, it could have killed me.  People have sight problems, hair loss, numbness, memory loss and generally feel very lethargic and just not quite right.  Yes it works and you can lose weight, which is always a bonus and it did work for me before I became ill, but if you can find something else I suggest you do.  

Amyitriptyline and propanolol seem to be quite popular and successful, but not in my case.  People seem to get less side effects with these two.

Good luck

• Posted

I've read a lot about amyitriptyline on here and it seems people are given that often. I'd like to try that before the Topamax, to be honest.

I just don't understand why out of all of the doctors I have been to that no one ever suggested migraine associated vertigo.

I mean, it's a real possibility, right? I seem to have a lot of the symptoms.

I'm willing to try anything at this point. I'm at the end of my rope.

• Posted

I agree 100% with YorkieLass Topamax is so bad and I know many others have said the same.  It made me suicidal!  My meds ar Pregabalin and Verapamil for preventimg and Sumatriptan when I have an attasck, they work very well.  Plus I have Botox and take Flunarizine for Hemilplegic migraines,  Good luck and take care
    • Posted

Personal20, can I ask you if you have any side effects for Pregabalin & verapamil, I am not taking any propylaxis at the moment, but am going through a bad stage with headaches nearly everyday and am concerned at the amount of eletriptans I am taking.  I'm going back to see the GP and may suggest them as I've never had them before.

Thanks

• Posted

The only problem I would have with Pregabalin would be weight gain, but as I am a personal trainer, I know how to control my weight with healthy eating and lots of exercise, so this isnt so much of a problem.  But when I had to take some down time due to injury, I did gain weight more than what I had expected.  Hope this helps
    • Posted

That's not what I wanted to hear, I am on a diet at the moment, not that I'm over weight but just want to get rid of a couple of stone and finding it quite hard, 1 gone another to go, so I don't need a drug that's going to reverse that as I do have a sedentary job.

Thanks for your help though.

• Posted

Well if you wanted to private message me I might be able to give you advice in helping to keep trim as I am a personal trainer and this is one of my jobs that I do.

I only started to notice that Pregabalin had the potential to cause me issues when I had to take a higher dose, you may not need a higher dose so it wouldnt cause you problems.  Also I take Flunarizine and this also has the potentilal to cause weight gain, so it may not even be the Pregabalin.

• Posted

when deciding if a medicine is any good to us or not, you have to work out if the benefits out weigh the side effects or visa versa.  At the moment for me the benefits are out weighing the side effects, so I am happy, if this changes I would need to review my meds with my neurologist
  • Posted

Topamax has been a wonder drug for me and been a big part of me being able to function day to day. I used to be so ill with constant migraines that no drug responded to. I tried so many meds, amytripteline, all the triptans, beta blockers, other seizure meds, anti depressants, I either had really bad reactions or didn't respond. I do feel really fuzzy on this med it takes me a time to speak and my words can be really slow but I can function without the chronic migraines that used to have me bed bound. Settling into his med isn't easy I did have weight loss which may seem attractive but I also had lows and suicidal thoughts. It's essential that you are monitored closely whilst slowly beginning this med. Most of the side effects are short lived and I've now been on this med for around 12 years and I have only the fogginess and pins and needles in my feet.

It's always so important to remember how we are all extremely different. Our bodies all react so different to medications and so I can only possibly tell you my experience on this as can others, it is essentially up to you and your body to see what happens.

I hope you find something that works for you soon, sending positivity your way. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.