Feeling better after 8 days off ramipril

Posted , 2 users are following.

took myself off rampiril after having many symptoms with using it for the last 7 months. Coughing, unable to breath, white frothy mucus, feeling ill all the time due to a chests infection. Unable to sleep through the night.

Last 5 days starting to feel better, but not taking any Blood. pressure Meds. Go has given me irbesartan , but after the last months of feeling so ill I am reluctant to start taking them , anyone else in this situation?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I was in this situation.

​Took Ramipril as my first medication to control BP for a total of 238 days.

​I couldn't believe that this medication could induce such intolerable side effects which included breathlessness, hypersensitivity to allergens, swollen throat and thick mucus from lungs.

​I'd had enough after the symptoms started resulting in a compromised airway at night and came off the drug after which I discovered that the symptoms matched exactly those of drug induced Angioedema.

​There was a warning in the Patient Information Leaflet but not indicative of those published elsewhere which indicated the potential seriousness of the symptoms and the actions needed to deal with an emergency arising from them.

• Posted

I suddenly got taken off Ramipril when I had a stuck kidney stone last August. Within a few days I felt 10 years younger due to cessation of cough, aching joints, cold extremities, lack of energy, night cramps etc. I have since looked a lot at the whole issue of supposed 'high blood pressure' and have decided not to go back on any medication (but that is my own personal decision). It is well worth looking at the history of the blood medication before making your own decision on the matter.
    • Posted

Hi Steve sorry for late reply, I have been put on Irbersartan and so far no nasty surprises, and blood pressure is down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.