Salivary Gland Symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok I have a question re. salivary gland symptoms!

Although my Sjögren's Syndrome symptoms have included dry eye and dry mouth, they have in no way been my worst symptoms - autonomic neuropathic symptoms have been. However something in the mouth department seems to be a-changing!

A couple of months ago I had a swollen gland under my jaw, which lasted a few days. I had not had a swollen gland for many years. Three weeks ago I travelled overseas and in the hot tropical weather I had a few drinks which were lemony or tangy and on several occasions I got a strong 'fizzy', reaction in my salivary glands. (Fizzy is the best word I can find to describe the reaction). Not too painful though and fairly fleeting.

Today when I was chewing, gum, I got the 'fizzy' reaction quite strongly. I have been chewing, gum for about four years now to alleviate dry mouth and this is the first time it has ever occurred. I have not changed the brand or flavour. This evening I have had some residual discomfort from this afternoon's episode.

Last week I had surgery and a general anaesthetic.

Is today's episode likely to be from a general downturn in the oral part of my SS symptoms or as a result of the GA?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You could have the beginnings of a blocked salivary gland due to stoned. I've had one of mi e removed due to stones. The best thing to do is massage to stop it becoming stagnant with saliva and d rd inks lots of water. Ask your d ed Brody to check it out next time you see him.
  • Posted

Hey Megheart

I have these horrible large hard bumps, glands, swell up under my jaw and I know exactly the 'fizzy' pain that you're experiencing!! Mine can be excruciating on occasions and have even had me in tears!

Sometimes I don't dare even move my jaw because the slightest movement triggers it off.

When I eat something and I start getting that tingling feeling i just dread it!!

I find mine is triggered from stressful periods in my life or ALCOHOL. Yours might be totally different but over the xmas period when there's loads of party's that when mine was at its worse.

They're settled at the mo!! Thank god!!

Anyway hope you're ok and. It suffering too much xx

• Posted

And I work in a dental practice and yes sue...they also said it probably a blocked salivary gland x
  • Posted

Hi Meheart,  My Rheumatologist checks my glands all time, and they do get swollen sometime.  So far I have been lucky, I have not gotten the stones, and fingers crossed I won't.  I have had that fizzy thing happen a couple of times though, and under my chin area...and it hurts like crazy!  But it went away after about a week.  I just keep doing what I can to keep on top of things.  What a crazy thing we have!  How on earth did we ever get this?  I hope it doesn't last long for you!  Good luck!!
  • Posted

Hi,

I was FINALLYdiagnosed with SS 3 weeks ago, but my prolems started with fizzing in my submadibular glands in 1997! My glands would swell to an enormous size and fizz away for no apparent reason. I was tested for allergies, investigated for stones,had my left gland removed, have had numerous procedures wth a radiologist to inflate my salivary ducts, but nothing worked.  I would recommend you have a ultrasound to see if you do have stones, if they find some you can have them removed fairly easily and your problem might be over. If not it may just be that your saliva is too thick and becoming infected. I do not and never have had any stones but  I have been getting fizzy flare ups every week and have been 'milking' the glands to remove infection. Push firmly on the gland from the part nearest the ear towards the jaw. You will have to do this a lot. The pain might increase, but eventually you will get rid of the 'gunk'. if you want to speed things along, suck a lemon slice at the same time.  Thankfully I went to see an ENT consultant a few month ago who suspected SS,due to this and other symptoms, and did a biopsy to confirm. At the same time he performed a proceedure to lay my ducts open to releave the pressure on my gland, the inside of my mouth is not a pretty sight, but the fizzy symptoms have eased and the 'gland milking' is over in 10 minutes rather than the 4-5 hours of old.  I know what you are going through. The pain and discomfort are awful...

• Posted

Thank you to all who responded to my message. You all obviously know what I am referring to.

It seems, disappointingly that I may at last be getting some salivary gland involvement which I have been free of up to now. Thanks for your suggestions. 

Grrr....another symptom to add to the list!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.