Switched from citalopram to escitalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dr switched me from 20mg citalopram to escitalopram 2 weeks ago and the transition was good except now I'm getting very tired in the morning and can't really function til midday! As the day goes on it gets better. Is this a side effect that will wear off? I'm currently only on 5mg and concerned if I up to 10mg I will feel even more tired! Any advice please.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've been on Lexapro (escitalopram) for months. Never got used to feeling so tired and out of sorts. Why did your doc. change your meds.? 10mg escitalopram is the equivalent to 20mg. citalopram but give 5mg a try, who knows!!!

You should get used to it given time (most people do). When do you take it? If it keeps bothering you maybe you can take it in the evening?

take care

Sxx

Sxx

• Posted

He changed me as I couldn't settle on citalopram, and apparently escitalopram is better for anxiety! I gave the citalopram 5 months so did try hard!

I take the tablet in the morning as always have so I don't know if it's just a side effect the tiredness.thanks for replying

• Posted

Lexapro is a purer version of citalopram.

I'm still on Lexapro but am also trying magnesium, vit B and Omega.

Try to drink alot of water, eat healthy and get enough sleep.

take care

sxx

• Posted

Thankyou, might have to live with the tiredness, it's better than how I was! Hopefully it might wear off!

You take care

• Posted

Hi Sue. It is probably a side effect. I remeber this when I started them (few years ago now). It will settle. Each time you up the dose you need to be patient & let your body adjust to the higher dose . I take mine in the morning too, I am fine through the day & I sleep well at night. Stick with it Sue. xxx

• Posted

Thanks loo loo, yes I'm hoping it's a side effect but some people say they are tired all the time! I prefer these as citalopram were very bad, had loads of horrible side effects with them but these are much gentler! Thanks for taking the time to reply x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.