What do you do with a high profile job and hives?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have graves- currently in remission for the time being and I am no longer on Meth. (a myzole-haha gotcha!) But then I started with the CIU 7 months ago, at a huge conference. I do have extensive allergies but they are mostly under control  as well as I was diagnosed many years ago and have learned to deal well. I have to enjoy a lovely illimination diet about once a month to reset and feel whole again.

My Dr's are so blasé about the suffering and of little help (after years of being misdiagnosed when I had graves and almost dying from a thyroid storm I am quite bitter towards Dr's! Even with the hives they wince and say "Wow this is so bad. Well, there's no cure and you're likely to be suffering two or more years given the autoimmune issues you have"

So, I have given up on solutions but I am really wondering if there is anyone out there who has a high visibiliy job and who also suffers with hives? What do you do? How do you handle it? I have called out when they are on my face but on my back they are always the worst and almost always there so no one can see them but I feel quite aggitated and distracted when I have a nasty outbreak unless I dope up on Benadryl then I am useless. My mind does not stay where it should and I dread working and disguising my hives and discomfort. Plus I'm scary ugly when they are on my face and I am in sales. I love my job but if these hives don't subside soon I'm likely to lose my mind! Help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I know how you feel. I have a high profile stressful job as well. It's impossible to hide the suffering as the itching and discomfort don't let up. I just tell people what Im going through (autoimmune cause etc) and my colleagues are supportive and remind me to eat clean during the working day.

I am fed up with doctors as well. I cannot believe they know so little about this life-devastating disease!!! All they do is treat the symptoms and inadequately too.

My advice would be to explain to work colleagues what you are going through in order to receive support. This disease affects your productivity and your mood and its important its not misconstrued as just being in a bad mood or distracted.

Good luck - this is a painful journey.

V

• Posted

Thank you so much!

I actually have not said anything yet. I hadn't thought of colleagues being supportive but it would probably relieve a bit of the stress with a little support as I am sure they would be supportive.

My thoughts have swirled around whether I will have  to leave my career which actually gives me alot of happiness, so your option is a welcome choice.

Thanks again and all the best to you. 

• Posted

I can relate to all of you people at my work are very supportive also but they don't know to what point how uncomfortable this could be i'm on the verge of a breakdown if this continues its been 3 years for me with no diagnose.  Doctors are no help at all.  Im finally going to see a immunologist wish me luck to at least having a diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.