Terrible pins & needles pain while trying to heel walk. 2 weeks post bunion surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had MIS bunion surgery 15th June so just under 2 weeks ago. I tried heel walking at about day 5 but the bottom of my foot felt like it was on a bed of needles. Then I accidently stood up on my operated foot (I forgot I'd had it done and it was very late one night) and that was like standing on a bed of nails. All my weight on my bad foot and I was only post surgery a week!

I tried heel walking today but as soon as I put any pressure on my heel my heel it felt like it had terrible pins and needles. I'm wearing a wedge shoe the hospital gave me and I cannot get away with it.

I'm now worried I have got damaged nerves or if this is normal. I'm really worried right now. I feel like I should be up and about heel walking and my knees are about to give up from all the crawling around the house like a baby I've done for nearly 2 weeks .

I didn't imagine this pins and needles pain in my heel at all. I thought it would just hurt where I had my bunion surgery.

Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this. I dare not Google incase it's a bad thing ??

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Would definitely give the hospital/surgeon a call, I had my bunion and all 5 toes fused a few days before you. Have been heal walking since the day after surgery. Pain some days, other days fine but no pins and needles. Always best to get these things checked for reassurance. Best of luck. 
    • Posted

Oh. I was hoping you'd say you got it too lol.

I've been OK pain wise other than burning sensation at the Base of my big toe for a few hours one day then just some pains on and off since having it done. Not nearly as painful as I'd have thought.

It's just this terrible pins and needles feeling. I'm wondering if it's because I've not walked on it for. But also on day 3 I assumed I got bad swelling because I was in terrible discomfort on the bottom of my foot under my little toe and the toe next to it. The bandage was very tight and my skin was bunched up. The next day it settled but I do feel it's still a bit tight. I'm thinking maybe if the bandage is too tight it's causing the pins and needles? It's my only thought really.

I called and spoke to the surgeons excretory but the surgeon is on holiday. I have had to cancel my appt tomorrow for stitches removal and to have a splint fitted. So thankfully my bandages will come off. I'd have to have driven to the hospital which is nearly 2 hours away and I'm not sure where it is. I have an autimatic so dont use my left foot which is the side ive had done. My hubby is away so couldn't take me so have rearranged it to Wednesday so one more day to wait to see my new foot .

• Posted

Dear Gillian

I too had pins and needles and electric shock feelings during recovery in both legs.  Whether this was to do with sitting on my tail with legs elevated (as prescribed) I don't know.  I also developed knee pain in the other leg for the odd walking gait for which I eventually got physio.  

I had neurology investigations after recovery to find out why the numbness but they said it was "unexplained" but not to worry about.  Am now 4 1/2 year post op and could not be more pleased except for the numbness which is much better than pain.

Best of luck with rest of recovery, I think everyone must have forgotten and put wrong foot down like you have, I certainly did but it caused no lasting damage but is worrying at the time.

• Posted

Arhhhh typed you a reply then I accidently went off my phone and now it's gone! Anyway, I'm not feeling pins and needles in my leg at all just the Base of my foot mainly heel. What I did that night with weight on my foot was horrendous I nearly fainted with the pain. Made me feel sick. You just immediately think oh my that's it I bet the pins been dislodged or I've damaged my foot in some way!

I'm surprised my knee is holding up. I crawled up the stairs like something out of The Grudge film. Not sure if you watched it may then at the top of the stairs I pull myself up and hop to the loo or bedroom. I feel like I've turned into a kangaroo! I find hopping easier than stupid cumbersome crutches.

I just want to be able to at least heel walk but just at the moment I think something is telling me my foot just ain't ready for that. I'm hoping it's just my bandage too tight restricting blood flow and once it's off it might be OK. That's my only hope right now! X

• Posted

Hi,

i had my op on both feet 6days ago (lapidus) the only time I experienced the feeling you have had ,is when I had to but my feet down the day after surgery. I had to put on the Velcro boot/shoes they gave me and stand up using crutches. It was like hundreds of needles were being stuck into my feet,the physio said this was normal and after a few days off getting up to go to toilet etc it went away.

But if it is worrying you I would give them a call. Hope all goes well.

• Posted

Hi

Well, the day I got my bandages off I was told they'd been too tight! The day after my bandage removal I heel walked with xrutches then by the end of the day was was dashing round the house without the crutches ??

It was obviously the bandages restricting blood flow. It was like what you said 100s of needles being stuck in my feet it was very scary though. I'm trotting round no problem now. it's so nice to not go crawling around the house or hop around lol.

• Posted

Hi Gillian

I'm just curious to see how this resolved? Are you still experiencing this pain/sensation? 

I had a slight accident on Monday, the cat came in looking like he was about to be sick so I leapt out out of my chair to get him outside, completely forgetting about my double bunion operated feet!!! I took a couple of steps then wobbled on my heel wedge shoes before realising what I'd done - I then panicked for the rest of the day. It didn't initially hurt however by the end of the day I felt as if something very sharp was digging into the side/bottom of my big toe on my left foot. That pain has not subsided since Monday so I'm wondering if this sounds similar to what you had? It's especially when I heel walk, almost like there's a stone or pin tucked into my bandages - sound familiar? I was 10 days post-op when it happened. 

I phoned the hospital on Monday night but they said it was highly unlikely I'd done any damage and to leave it another couple of days. 

Just curious to see how your pain resolved and whether all is now ok? I'm obviously a little worried right now....

• Posted

Hello.

Well after having my bandages removed the flowing day I was heel walking around the house without a problem. It had just been the bandages too tight restricting blood flow. Such a shame that happened as I'd have been heel walking so much sooner and would have been a damn site easier than crawling and hand and bum shuffling!

Anyway. Oh wow, I bet you got a shock with your cat. Hope he/she was OK.

I don't get any pins and needles pain now. I do however get pain I think where you say it's at the bottom side of my big toe. It's actually hurting right now but I've made tea and washed up so it will be from that. It's a sore pain more than anything. I also get some pain where my bunion was maybe from the pin inside.

How is the pain now??

I'm at hospital on Tuesday next week that will be a day under my 6 weeks mark. I was hoping it wouldn't be hurting as much and that after 6 weeks I would be getting back in the gym but I realise there's no chance of that anytime soon. I think I've got a lot of rehab still. You just think once 6 weeks is up and the wedge shoe is off you'll be OK but I feel it's just going to be the start to my road to recovery ??.

When do you get your next check up at hospital?

Gillian

• Posted

Next check up isn't until 25th which seems forever away when you are worrying about something. I might give it another day or so and then contact the hospital again just to make them aware. I can't work out if it's an internal pain or whether it could be the stitches digging in or even the bandage pressing on that point - whatever it is feels very sharp and just strange it appeared shortly after the accident. Could be purely coincidental I don't know - but when you're stuck sitting around all day with your legs in the air you have little to do but think about every little twinge! 

Really hope your recovery goes well - I personally can't wait to get to six weeks and get these horrible boots off!! ??

• Posted

Yeah I know what you mean about the boot coming off except now I know next week I need to try walking in a normal shoe which actually really scares me as I've not had my big toe bent in 6 weeks so I'm really really nervous of that appt. I will be seating that's for sure. I bet I still limp around in the worry that I still may damage it or that it will probably hurt.

I think the operation and the 6 weeks in the boot is the easy part. I reckon the time after the 6 weeks getting back to normal will be the challenge.

I hate having to phone if I have a problem with my foot. I feel a pest! I did it once though about my plasters over my wounds.

Did u have stitches? Mine were dissolvable thank goodness I was so dreading that appt to get them took out and the bandages removed after 2 weeks but it was fine and there were no stitches to come out. Phew!!

Are u in the UK?

It's difficult to know whether it is purely coincidence or if it's related to the incident. I find that the types of pain has come in stages then gone to reveal a new pain then so on. It's been really weird. Seemed like first 2 weeks was just the achy pain after op then I got for 2 weeks the horrible sharp burning pain in big toe then I've had this pain where my bunion was. Hoping it's a phase and goes soon cos to me it's been the worst. I'm pretty sure it's where the pin is.

• Posted

I too was convinced that there was something sharp in my dressing as I had sharp pain like a pin or electric shock shoot from over by my little toe - nowhere near the bunion op site. Dressing taken off,and of course no pin. Now it feels like something in my skin! I mentioned it at my 2wk check and guy said there was plenty of bruising over there and to see how it settles down. Other bruising gone (visually) now but I do have a raised section with a pin-prick of red with still the same pain if I press on it. Gillian's Bunion, you seem slightly ahead of me. Any explanation or let up from pain yet?

• Posted

Hi. Well, the pins and needles went as soon as I had my bandages removed at 2 weeks. The bandages had just been far too tight and had restricted my blood flow. The day following my bandage removal I was practically running around the house on my heel walking shoe ??.

How's your foot now?. My pins stay in. I have 3. 2 big at side of foot and one small across big toe all hidden away. Tender if I touch the ones at the side tho.

I have my x ray next Tuesday. I'm hoping my bone has fused back. I wore my shoe for 6 weeks and had my 6 week xray to be told I'd need to wear shoe another 3 weeks as bone had not fused back. I pray it's all OK but I'm so nervous of walking in my normal sandles. ??

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post-op. Quite sore in the mornings, but have managed stairs on my feet last couple of days. Most of foot much better but still have a problem on underside of foot. Very sore to pressure, hence my continued lack of mobility. Hard swelling underneath the skin, with red pin-prick in the centre.
    • Posted

Oh well still quite early! My underneath hasn't hurt apart from the bandages too tight. Maybe it will hurt underneath when I start to walk!

It's such a recovery isn't. ??. I reckon on months before being anywhere near normal and then I think what if it's never normal ??.

Not sure what your red pin prices are tho? I have a swollen ankle now my foot seems to have finally stopped swelling ??. Lasted at least 7 weeks. It's either swelling on ankle or its muscle built up from the heel walking in the wedge shoe.

Have u heel walked without your wedge? I have a little but just from bedroom to bathroom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.