Update: Decision on treatment - Acessa Procedure

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have decided to have the Acessa procedure for treatment of my fibroid. It is scheduled forth is Saturday.

I am curious to know if anyone has had this procedure done.

Of the options available to me in the US (I live in Lis Angeles) this was the least invasive with very few side effects.

Of course with any surgery, I am scared. Especially because insurance companies in California do not cover this procedure so I must pay out of pocket.

My fibroid is now the size of a cantaloupe and my uterus is at 21 weeks. I am a 35 year old with no children and want to keep my uterus. I only other options were UAE and Myomectomy, but because of the size of my tumor, I have been told that the chance of complications and total hysterectomy are great.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank You

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Any kind of surgery is a bit scary but try and think positive and good luck, that sounds like a big fibroid to me! A pain its not covered by your insurance. Hope all goes well. x
  • Posted

Acessa? What is this Julia? I have 12x13x7 fibroid - melon sized lower posterior wall. Live in the Uk (came to LA last year & loved it) I have only been offered UAE (but been told 50% chance of success due to small arteries feeding) Advised against myomectomy (because surgery has large risk of adhension with such a big fibroid) Or hysterectomy. I'd love to know what Acessa is & how it works where your fibroid is. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Heather. Acessa is a minimally invasive procedure that is done laparoscopically. The website can explain it better than I can - link below. Basically the dr takes a probe and an internal ultrasound camera, finds the exact location of the fibroid, inserts the probe into the fibroid, releases prongs and heats them up making the fibroid tissue into mush. Then is the probe is extracted, it cauterizes the incision. The body then absorbs the tissue. Recovery is 3-5 days and you should only need strong over the counter medications (I am getting 600 mg of motrin). Good luck on you're journey and I will Update after my surgery.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as users can easily find the information using a search engine rather than linking to a specific website. Also the link provided was incorrect.

• Posted

Hi Julia, Can you private message me the link please. Do you know if it is available in the UK as they only seem to offer embolisation.

How big was your fibroid & where was it please?

• Posted

Hello Heather, I wondered if you'd had any luck finding somewhere in the UK that would perform the Acessa procedure? I have been following its progress for a few years now. I'd like to give it a go as have only been offered a hysterectomy for my fibroids which I'd like to avoid if possible but have not yet seen anywhere that offers it in the UK. Wondered how you'd got on? 

• Posted

No there isn't nearest is Germany, but their trials are only if the fibroid is 10cm or under. It's UFE here.

• Posted

Thanks Heather. I have large multiple fibroids and really would like to avoid surgery. I did contact the inventor of the Acessa procedure and have even fleetingly considered going to the States for treatment. I'm going to hang on for as long as I can. Did you hear about Vizablate? That is available in the UK but I was told it was not suitable for large, multiple fibroids.

• Posted

Heather, do you mind shedding a light to where in Germany is this please (which hospital)?
  • Posted

Hi Julia122480,

I have had Acessa procedure in September 2, 2016.  The surgeon was able to treat 7 fibroids.  Before the procedure, I had more than 15 fibroids.  Because of adhesions in my uterus caused by my abdominal myomectomy in 2011, the surgeon had trouble reaching my fibroids. Since the procedure, I have been having liquid discharge.  Did you have liquid discharge after your procedure, if so for how long?  Did your fibroids shrink significantly?

• Posted

Hi Sonia,

How large were your fibroids? I have one very large one, about the size of Heather's and Julia's. I am in Canada, and they only do it at once clinic, so am waiting to consult with a doctor in Regina, SK. I am 52 yrs old an post menopausal, but refuse to consider hysterectomy, which is what the gynecologists here are trying to push for. 

• Posted

Hello Sonia, it has been 9months since your procedure... any progress? How are you? Do you recommend this to us woman suffering from fibroids?
  • Posted

Hi Julia,

This came up on my feed again with the recent message & I was wondering how you got on? I am currently investigating another option as I was referredf for UFE in November but it didn't actually end up happening due to a bit of a difference of opinion! So still in limbo but looking into a simillar technique that may now be available in the uk.

• Posted

Hello Julia, it has been 12 months now and im curious to know about your healing process and in hope to hear this procedure is successful. Any improvements?
  • Posted

Hi Julia! I’m a 33 year old woman with a 13cm by 8.5cm by 9cm fibroid on the fundus (top) of my uterus. I’m thinking of having the Acessa procedure in Beverly Hills, CA next month. Can you please tell me about your experience? My husband and I desperately want children. While I have symptoms, I had no idea of the fibroid and only found out about it a month ago because we weren’t concieving. I have spoken with multiple Drs. and most of them want me to have a myomectomy since it's currently the gold standard for fibroids in women who wish to concieve. 

• Posted

Sakura26 - Yes, I had the procedure and i regret it. The remaining mass - of the fibroid, either didn't degenerate or the fibroid wasn't completely abolated. I got an ultrasound done 10 months after the procedure and the report said that there isn't a significant change in size before and after the procedure. I need a myomectomy now and have lost a year that I would have had to be able to more sucessfully concieve. Also, the dr who performed the procedure told me that my uterus went from being 16 months pregnancy size to 13 or 14 during the 3 month check up but that was disputed by the ultrasound.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.