Extremely painful Hiatial hernia. Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. So glad I stumbled upon this site hoping to get some feedback from people who are in similar situations as I am right now. I am in my mid twenties and I'm suffering from an extremely frustrating sliding Hiatial hernia. I was diagnosed in February after spending a year going back and fourth to doctors and emergency rooms thinking I was having heart problems. Cancer the works. Finally they sent me for an upper gi and found this. I did some research and was put on some medications. I started eating better cut of the drinking and taking the medication the dr gave her. Felt like I was slowly getting better so I went off my medication. As I hate taking anything prescribed and started taking probiotics and glutamine chews which I found to help better but now I'm back into bad eating habit and having weekly drinks and feel awful right now. Does anyone ever get the feeling like your heart is racing and your chest is caving in. It's really scary and I need a quick fix before it gets worse again. Looking for all natural ways. Please help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have same and all can say is that yes I am a great believer in the possibility you Hernia at times affects your heart. Sure the docs will check out your heart but There is a series of fab clips on You Tube by a Cardiologist at York Hospital .....an Asian guy but sorry can't remember his name.might be Sanjay Gupta. View the one about the gastro/heart connection. Sorry haven't got any miracle cure and I do take medication Lansoprazole. Other than that loose weight if u need to, eat smaller meals and not late at night. Try not to twist your torso as I feel can start a spasm which takes days to subside. When your heart races try to calm yourself believing might just be the Hernia perhaps pressuring the Vegus nerve which sets off confusing signals to the heart. Seems a second pacemaking signal can start up doubling your pulse. Good luck and hopefully your heart health isn't an issue.

• Posted

I was also taking that medication but it made me feel tired and dizzy. I'm only 110lbs. I'd say I'm fairly healthy other than this but this whole thing throws me off. I will definitely check that out. Thank you.

• Posted

I have had a Hiatus Hernia for many, many years, but has really got worse in the past 5 years.  I too have the same symptoms, and it can be very stressful and worrying when your heart starts to race.  The only advice I can give is to calm down, slow your breathing and try to9 relax.  The symptoms do pass.  I also get light headed and feel like I am going to faint sometimes.  This condition is the worst ever as you really don't know what to do or when to seek help.  I too am on Lansoprazole 30mgs per day and when the symptoms are really bad I do take two a day at the advice of my doctor.  I just live with this day to day.  Good luck and hope things improve for you

• Posted

Thank you for replying makes me feel better knowing I'm not the other one feeling like this. I was taking that medication as well but made me feel tired and dizzy that's why I stopped and not having the dizzy spells as much but the burning on my chest is sometimes unbearable. Doing yoga subsides the pain and deep breathing exercises make the anxiety go away too.

• Posted

I was also an medium HH patient but succesfully came out of it after struggling for a period of 2 years. Now I am not on any medication.

I just want to tell you what I have practised. These are some of the guidelines to come out of the problem successfully.

1) stop taking Tea, Coffee, liquor and aerated drinks.

2) stop having non-vegetarian food.

3) stop having bakery foods like condiments, biscuits, even bread

4) stop having sweets.

5) stop having white flour and gram flour foods.

6) eat plenty of roughage ( fibre) like vegetables, fruits etc may be in cooked form.

7) eat only 60% of your capacity in a single bout.

8) drink plenty of water ( may be three litres a day distributed through out.)

9) maintain a food chart and observe what don't suit you.( update it on regular basis and review every third day)

10) don't lie on back or sleep at least 2 hours after having dinner.

11) dinner shall be as light as possible with good proteins.

12) check the intake of your fats and limit the oily food.

13) walk regularly may be 30 mins in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening.

14) concentrate on you breathe and take deep inhalations and exhalations all through ( this may be difficult but highly effective.)

15) if you are a singer, sing all through in whispers ( it strengthens the diaphragm and gets the LES back in position close to esophagus.)

16) keep bricks of 4 to 6 inches height under your bed on head side so that the reflux would not bother you in the night.

17) join yoga for keeping good mental and physical health.

18) don't stop taking medicines until recommended by your doctor even you feel alright.

19) try to control your emotions like anger, jeolousy etc that have negative effect on your wellbeing.

20)the most important thing is that you shall maintain good bowel movement. stop all the things that get you constipated. you are the best judge and never take them even in small portions. generally sweets, bread, eggs and oils increase the risk.

I presume that you are married, even if not, continue to maintain intrinsic healthy social life.

write to me if you have any more to know. If you find anyone having these kind of issues please get to know more from them about their symptoms and the medication they follow. encourage them to be positive and share the data you know.

all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.