Things gone a bit backwards last few days

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I'm at the end of week 4 on 10mg of escitalapram last 2 week been ok but last 2 days seem to have gone backwards is this normal ?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello don, i had the same issue as you starting out, and my doctor calls this effect the 'honeymoon period'.  10mg was ok for a little while, but i expect it's now proving to be not enough of a dose to tackle your depression fully. i would consider moving up to 15mg for a couple of weeks, and then take things from there (if after some weeks on 15mg, it proves to also be not enough, then you can move up to 20mg)

i personally wouldnt recommend jumping from 10mg to 20mg incase you get the increased anxiety side effect. perhaps some people are ok with that, or dont get it so bad, but personally i found it very difficult, so preferred slower increases in dose (5mg each increase) to ease the transitional side effects

• Posted

it's a funny one, what happened was i was on 20mg for a while and felt ok but thought i would try 30mg as i was still having the odd low spell.  30mg was good, felt good, but i did notice i was a bit more sleepy feeling, and i was getting out of bed later than normal. perhaps the new sleepiness side effect might have lessened with time, but i decided to go back to the single 20mg tablet in the morning. so i have been back on 20mg for about a week, and so far doing fine and feel good.  i will stick on 20mg now, and be patient, as we can all be impatient and want immediate results, but it will often take months of gradual improvement while still having the odd bad day.   so anyway it's 20mg for me now, for a month, and then i will take things from there (but i expect that should be the right dose, along with some patience).

...onwards and upwards friends!

• Posted

Hi Don. I totally agree with sparrow. You've got used to the 10mg which is probably not enough to tackle the level of depression/anxiety. I would definately speak to your doc asap about increasing to 15mg for at least 4wks & see how you get on. there are 5mg tablets - take 15mg day currently in the morning & take one 10mg/one 5mg. I have been on 20mg before when needed (at stressful times/events) but currently 15mg maintains me well. Take care, try not to dwell on it too much - its normal as sparrow said. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.