Globus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

So through my journey so far for the last leading into 7 months it is apparent I suffer with Globus due to my anxiety and fear of illnesses, I know now after the scope down my throat and the gastroscopy & chest x-ray that it is not cancer....

Does anyone here that suffers with Globus have the following same symptoms and if so how did you calm them or stop them....

~ Dry throat

~ Tight feeling in throat where voicebox is and mayble a little lower sometimes

~ Swallowing that feels like I am swallowing a piece of leather all the time but just one sided and sometimes in the middle

~ Wheeze when inhaling hard (GP says I do not have asthma and my lungs sound clear).

Any advice would be helpful or people that have this hidious condition to tell me I am not alonesad

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I literally just posted with very similar symptoms looking for answers.

I recently had an upper and lower scope done for unrelated stuff a few months ago so in the back of my mind i know its nothing, but I too have been gettimg that one sided pressure when swallowing and its led to me swallowing saliva a lot more often.

I also have fear of illness which is probably fueling the issue. Hopefully someone more experienced sees this and can shed light for us both

• Posted

Hi there

I have severe Health Anxiety and now this is what causes my throat issues, I have now developed tummy issues which is even more upsetting for me!

• Posted

I recently started suffering with Globus too and its horrific. Even swallowing liquids, I often have to swirl them first to try and get them down and can gagg eating food etc.

I suffered with anxiety and depression for nearly 10 years but the globus only appeared in the past year for some reason

• Posted

Hi Kay. This has been mentioned to me by my GP. I have suffered from a virus for 4 weeks in my throat & with a cough. Following this I started to feel symptoms: Dry throat, hoarse voice,cough, wheezing on inhalation (I don't not suffer asthma or allergies) build up of white frothy mucous in throat that I could not clear or cough up well. Lump in my throat. Swelling around neck area. GP said it could be a chronic post nasal drip. Following steroids & antibiotics which didn't work i was given nasal spray to help. I seem to cope well through the day & can eat & drink without complications however evenings & through the night are horrendous. I have felt I am choking & cannot breath. I am now being referred to ENT consultant & my GP says I could be suffering from globes sensation. I'm really not having a quality time of life at the moment. At my wits end !!!

• Posted

I am suffering from lump in throat sensation as well. Had scope found hiatal hernia no gerd, had barium swallow- no gerd the only thing that the ENT found was my throat was inflammed and he is 99.9% sure it is from reflux. The PPI's do nothing for me. I think this is LPR- there is a lot of information on it on these boards- it is a silent reflux with no burning sensation. Mine is getting worse- starting to hurt a bit just so uncomfortable and always there- I am at my wits end as well! Just wanted you to know you are not alone. 

• Posted

Google largyospasm or largynel sensory neuropathy. Because you make the wheezing sound it could be your vocal cords tightening up. Look up vocal cord dysfunction there are some exercises to help receive that wheezing and tightness. If you want to get to the bottom of it go to a major clinic system call the ENT department ask if any doctor at the clinic botoxes the vocal cords. You need an appt with them to see if you have this largynospasm. No one else will dx you with this. This is what I have I guess Botox releaved my symptoms but it was Short term and I need to be injected again. They have to play with the dose etc and it can take 4 or 5 tries to get dose right and have it last longer.
    • Posted

Hi there

I saw the top ENT professor in our county and couldnt see anything wrong with my vocal cords it was all normal. I notice that if i get anxious and very stressed it comes back with a vengenace!

• Posted

Your vocal cords can be normal. Mine function and move normally. Drs in my city did not look well enough. Mayo clinic found that my vocal cords are shifted off to one side to what degree I don't know . My symptoms came after a virus. It is thought the virus settled in my throat voice box and or nerves. All I can tell you is my throat tightens and I cough more. When it's not tighten I get a dry patch or a pin prick feeling and that makes me cough. I also have shortness of breath. A test I did not have done yet is being scoped while on an exercise bike and then when I exert myself I get winded more than normal and they scope my vocal cords and look to see if they are closing. When this happens you wheeze. I have only noticed wheezing a few times when first falling asleep. It was squeaky and I don't have asthma so they think it's my vocal cords tightening. Try the exercises several times a day and especially when it tightens on you. See if symptoms are relieved. It takes awhile to get use to doing this

• Posted

Hi thank you for this. I also feel the tightness and dress spots in my throat its silly like im being suffocated and the saliva is not going down properly

The throat when i move it feels heavy.

• Posted

What exercises have you been doing. Your symptoms sound very similar to mine
    • Posted

I can't copy and paste here. Too long to explain. Google breathing excercises for vocal cord dysfunction or largyeal spasms. You will find lots of info

• Posted

I have recently gone through the same symptoms and was referred to a ENT and he did a scope down my throat. She said all was fine. It still worries me. I also have a stiffness going from under my ears and down the side of my neck. Sometimes it feels almost like an earache. So weird and I do have quite a b ok t of street right now and dealings with premenopausal.
    • Posted

My last sentence was really messed up sorry. I meant to say that I have quite a bit of stress right now coupled with pre menopausal symptoms. I think all of this brings on fear of illness anxiety. This really sucks.

• Posted

Hi. Same here. Suffering a little stress at times but more importantly pre menopausal symptoms! Not nice! Recently been wondering if this could be linked to menopause????
    • Posted

Its not easy. Thought about making another apt. with my Gyno..I feel like I'm driving him crazy..I guess I just want peace of mind knowing it's not my thyroid. The ENT said all was fine. I probably should just go with that. I'm very doomsday with the hormones and all. Thanks for your reply

• Posted

Hi

Funny I have under active thyroid. I too wondered if it could be linked with that. It does your head in doesn't it. My GP was going to refer me to have my thyroid checked. It's nice to know I'm not only one suffering this.

• Posted

Well my gp wanted me off armout thyroid and he will check thyroid numbers in 3 months. Someone else put me on it to raise my t3 because of my symptoms. I have to say it seems that going off has helped a little. Last week Wednesday mayo clinic botoxed my vocal cords. It is the 2nd time I had it done. It seems the first time they hit the nerve in my voice box and my cough immediately stopped for one week and 5 days! Then the cough and pin pricks in my throat gradually came back. This time they did not hit the nerve I felt it was close but I did not get the zinger pain so I felt they missed and it did. Or stop my cough so I feel they missed. My voice is already coming back and it has only been one week. First time I lost my voice for 4 months. So that tells me they missed. Anyway the saga continues. My diagnosis is latyngospa with voice dystopia. The sensations in my voice box area cause me to cough 1000 times a day per my pants and makes it difficult to have a conversation because talking is a trigger for coughing. I resorted to drinking whiskey dr is not happy but they won't give me lidocaine to spray on my throat to numb it. So my dr in mayo is retired and works one day a month to Botox us patients. I found a new doctor at Uw Madison wi who does this same procedure. I see him next week for a consult and to take over my case. I cannot think the retired doctor is going to continue to do this very long so I will re establish at UW Hospital. It's my only hope. I can't wait a month for when the doctor has his day of work. When it gets bad it gets bad and I want to been seen sooner. Let's hope the new dr takes my case, maybe he has other solutions too!

• Posted

It does get in your head. The last 2 days I've been doing the neck excercise someone suggested and it does seem to help. Also a week ago I started back on my prozac..I know that I neede to slow my thoughts down a bit. Thanks for responding and I'll stay in touch. It sure helps to talk to others that are going through similar things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.