Bee is tendon tear interviewing doctors surgical questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had a longitudinal split tear of my Brevis tendon in my right ankle for 18 months now and I have come down to the conclusion that I'm going to have to have surgery I've tried everything else ... 4 MRIs in the split tear is the same (which I guess it's good that it hasn't gotten worse) I'm down between two surgeons and I have one basic question but anyone else's thoughts would be appreciated. It seems the two surgeons have differing ideas for the immediate post surgery immobilization. One surgeon who travels with one of the Olympic teams and is really into sports rehab suggests an "Air Cast" immediately following surgery and immediate rehab although it's really just keeping the ankle moving not any stress on the ankle. The other surgeon suggest being in a hard cast for I think about four weeks. In my search on the Internet it seems like most surgeons I think do the hard cast option but I'm not sure what to do. I have an athletic background and would at least like to get back to running so I don't know if the first surgeon really is looking at this as an athlete that he's got to get back into competition etc.. So hard cast or air boot immediately following surgery? Any other questions to ask the surgeon or thoughts would be appreciated as I'm trying to make a decision in the next couple of weeks. Thanks again.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

dont think it matters ultimatly but air cast is better if you got the  money cuz you can keep useing it to help after the time the cast would come off to help prevent accidental damage. with the cast off you feel naked and volnurable but you need it off if you wanna ever get use of the ankle. im 6 weeks into post op of tibialis anterior repair and I cant even lift my foot up and scared that if my foot bends all the way down it can rip... i sleep very carefully not to snag my foot or bend it. an air cast would come in handy for sleeping.
    • Posted

The one doctor wants me to have the tendon repair and then come right into his office the next day to start physical therapy ( although I think he means it's just doing a little movement of the ankle not anything else ). He is the one that does travel with one of the Olympic teams and has worked on professional athletes

• Posted

Hello Thomas

I am sorry to hear about your pain and I hope you get better soon. I worn and air cast boot - on and off for a period of 9 months and it helped me. I thought that I had posterior tibialis tendon dysfunction but this was a misdiagnosis. I have problem on my feet for one and a half year and  till now I don't have a diagnosis. I have been to see 5 doctors and none of them found  out what my problem is. I wonder if you wouldn't mind to give me the details of this doctor you said is related to the olympic team?

I wish you all the best.

Cris

• Posted

Dr. Higgins in Olney Maryland. How many diagnostic tests have you done: x-rays, MRIs, Bone scans Etc? I have a torn brevis tendon in my right ankle on four separate MRIs and I am planning on getting surgery in the next 30 or 60 days ... For people that have not been able to get a diagnosis through a doctor one thing I will mention is AIS - Active Isolated Stretching . You might want to look it up as this is a fascinating alternative protocol that I've used for different problems over the years.

• Posted

Hello Thomas

Thank you so much for the reply.

Yes I had all tests you can name:x-rays, MRIs, Bone scans, nerve conduction studies and 4 ultrassound scans. All normal! So frustrating. I feel some improvement but the pain is still here. I feel pain in the anterior part of the ankle and burning on the sole of the feet when/after I walk doing my day to day things that I have no choice but doing them. I avoid walking but, you know, when one lives on their own, one has to get on with things in order to live. 

My last two doctors suspect I have tarsal tunnel syndrome, but this was not shown on the tests I have had. I think that I also have plantar fasciitis. 

I will look at AIS. Thanks for the suggestion.

Good luck with your operation. I hope all goes well. 

Cris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.