''Middle stage''

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm in the middle stage of frozen shoulder,gone is the excruciating pain of the 1st stage,but now I have 'discomfort' after work,I don't do any thing heavy but what little I do is giving me this new discomfort, the only way I can discribe it is: like some one has hit the front of my shoulder with a mallet & the kind of mixture of ache/pain spreads from shoulder & up along my collar bone and partly under my armpit.

Has any one else had this sort of discomfort ?

Although I feel like it's better I still don't have any ROM.

Look forward to reading your replies.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi - sorry to hear you are going through this.  I am on month 9 of frozen shoulder and am past the excruciating pain part as well.  Thank goodness as I thought I was going to go out of my mind from lack of sleep and the constant sharp pain.  Now I have more of a heavy ache; my range of motion is very poor and the muscles in my shoulder have atrophied.  I have been trying to use the arm more to build up some of the muscle and I wonder if that is contributing to the ache.  The frustration of not having full use of my arm is so irritating, but aat least I can get on top of the ache with Ibuprofen.  I take comfort in knowing that I am on the positive side of healing!  Best wishes for speedy healing to everyone suffering from this.
    • Posted

Hi Tara-thanks for your comments,I to have being trying to use my arm more on every day tasks to try & build the musles up as well, it does feel uncomfortable/annoying feeling that bit of extra flab near the armpit !! like you I know I am slowly getting there after 8 long months & being my dominent arm was really hard.I do wonder though when ROM will start improving,mine seems to be where it was when it first started.I long for the day when it will be back to normal,it will come.

Here's wishing all FS suffers a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I've not experienced this type of pain, But being what I’ve been through w/ mine, I would think this goes along w/ frozen shoulder syndrome.  It has been THREE years and I am continuing to have twinges mostly in the upper back and neck.  I’ve had numerous x-rays which are all good.  My dr. is beginning to think I may have fibromyalgia.  I’ve been through a lot in 3 years emotionally.  Losing my mother, left shoulder freezing and then five months later, the right which I feel all has contributed to my unexplained pain.  Some days are better than others.  I’ve tried taking 2 different anti-depressants (reluctantly) and both hurt my stomach.  The meds that have helped me the most are Tramadol and a muscle relaxer I take at night.  I’m so tired of hurting and I also feel perimenopause could be also a factor in my pain.  So frustrating because I am healthy yet hurt most of the time.

• Posted

I really feel for you,you've really had a lot to cope with & losing your mum as well, your so brave. I hope things will in time be sorted out for you,& you soon get back to some normality.Pain is an awful thing & eats away at you,keep your chin up & keep fighting it xx

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words.  I have not missed one day of doing my therapy exercises.  I was in therapy f/ 5 months.  Keep doing the exercises even when you think they're not helping!  When I was able to reach the high shelf in the grocery store without asking f/ help, I was sooo happy!

?Because of how it has made my upper back feel, it made stooping to pick things up really hard.  It felt as if I would hurt my back, so I began bending down awkwardly.  Now, I’ve had to go through therapy f/ hip & knee arthritis pain.  I am beginning to be able to pick things up somewhat normally.  For me what is so depressing, is I worked out w/ weights, did stomach exercies etc….Now, I am having to work up to lift just 2 pounds and cannot do the floor exercises due to my neck.  It’s like if I move a certain way, it is going to make the nerves in my back or neck really upset!  I hate to say something like this has changed my life because it is not life-threatening, but it has.  I have to ask f/ help in things I used to be able to do.  It is a very claustrophobic feeling.

• Posted

Sheila I could have written this post. I am 7 months into FS. I have no more horrible sharp pains. I have annoying achiness. My range of motion is horrible and at times I feel getting worse. My armpit aches and feels like it's swollen or maybe dropped? I hope I do not lose anymore ROM. I hope the thawing starts soon. I sometimes think the sharp horrible pain is gone because I cannot physically move my arm to the range that caused the pain?? Also when I try to raise my arm straight up or to the side my entire shoulder raises up instead of my arm roaring properly within the shoulder joint. Anyone else notice this??

• Posted

Yes, exactly Sheila.  I actually asked my physiotherapist how he knew I wasn't faking all of this; he said, "Because your shoulder doesn't move rotate within the joint..." or something like that.  I got to the point where I couldn't lift my arm at all...I had to use my other arm to move it around.  My muscles in my shoulder have all atropied - the physio said it's about the worst he's seen and I was devastated when I heard that - this is such a horrible infliction.  I encourage everyone to measure little benchmarks for range of motion so you can notice little improvements as you start to get better.  Fortunately, I can now raise my arm to the top of my steering wheel and use it to drive (just for a short while - it tires very easily) whereas before, I couldn't lift it to rest on the bottom of the steering wheel.  When I stand facing a wall, I can raise it up straight in front and place my hand against the wall so my arm is 90 degrees out; before I started improving, I couldn't lift it 6 inches from my side.  I didn't used to be able to reach behind me at all - I could barely touch the outside of my back left pocket with my left arm.  Now I can reach across behind me and touch the top of my right back pocket.  Success will be when I can actually do my bra up behind me again.  When I started noticing little improvements like that, my spirits lifted a lot too.  It's not noticeable day by day, but each week I notice a bit more.  I am on month 8 now.

• Posted

Hi Tracey,thanks for your reply,I did have a little chuckle at your last paragraph,I think probably all FS suffers do this,I certainly do, you can't help it.I have noticed tiny improvements,but I think we still have a long way to go yet.

As Tara replied below this comment we can measure little benchmarks which is a good idea & gives us hope that we are slowly getting there.

I am so glad I found this site to talk to others,only we know what we are going through,other people don't really understand how we are suffering.

• Posted

Hi Tara,you didn't say how long you have had FS,but you seem to have come on a bit,the thing with your arm across to your pocket is good because apparently that's the last thing that comes back,reaching round the back,so I was told by my phyiso.

I can relate to the driving bit as well,some days after work I could barely put my key into the ignition...Keep up the good work x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.