Can one expect to ever feel normal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thanks for every input here.  About 6 weeks ago I started having increased back pain from an injury of 3 months ago.  X-rays, MRI'S, lead my neurologist to request a myelogram (spinal tap) in order to construct a surgical plan for removing bone spurs in my neck that are impinging on my spinal cord.  The condition is serious and not uncommon for folks over 60, I'm 66, because the spinal cord is delicate and within the next few years I would be walking or shuffeling and bent over. A larger concern is that a minor fall or auto accicent could result in death or total paralysis.  The myelogram dye requires minimum of 72 hour free of  Effexor XR. No problem, after 10 years, I have been wanting to drop it for the last few years.  I had read the Pfizer info indicating one should not quit abruptly, and my GP recommended reduction schedule from 37.5 X 3 daily, to X 2 daily for "a week or so" then X 1 for a "week or so" and then stop.  You may have some residual side effects, but you'll be fine. 

I have a very high tolerance to pain and only used the occasional Tylenol Extra Strength for my back pain.  For those of you still reading, this is where my life changed.

[u]Week 1 of 2 caps X 37.5 daily.[/u]

No noticable difference until day 3, and I started to feel a bit more alert but light-headed.  Then occasional dizziness but my back pain was more distracting, and I caught a cold...first in 2 years.

[u]Week 2 of 1 cap X 37.5 daily[/u]

Hate colds, but not any real intense WD symptoms except the dizziness.  This is where my bride started to notice that I was not myself.  A bit grouchy, short, and ill-tempered.  I thought it was more the cold, which was not a bad cold except for the cough.

[u]Week 3 No more Effexor[/u]

Day 2 was starting to get just a little ugly.  Day 3, the first "zinger" was alarming as was the first "visual shift."  I was looking at my work bench and it seemed to move about a foot to the right, INSTANTLY and I had the electric zap in my head.  I built that bench and spent 15 years working at it and not once did it ever do that.  Maybe I should do a little research on some of this via Google. Probably wouldn't find anything on shifting work benches, so looked at WD from Effexor and that's when the fear started.     You guys said this could go on for a long time!  

That week got worse and worse.  I could not get a myelogram with a cough, and that puts a lot on hold, and I can't start Effexor again because I don't want to go through this again.  Reschedule the myelogram and try to figure out what is happening to me.

[u]Week 5 no Effexor[/u]

I'm begging my bride to go see the kids for a while because I feel CRAZY.  I'm afraid she may call some very kind folks in white to take me for a 30 day visit to some institution. Had my myelogram 3 days ago and it went very well. The Radiology Nurse and Radiologist said they have heard some ugly stories from patients who have gone through the WD from Effexor, but most do fine in a month or so.  That gives me a lot of hope, because they are the only medical professionals to whom I have spoken, that have ever heard of Effexor WD problems.  Called my cousin, a pharmacist, and she said "Good luck and God bless you Cuz!  It's worse than heroin WD, but worth it on the other side."  

Anybody still there? 

My question:  When does it become worth it?  At 66 years old and in need of neck/back surgery, I will NEVER put another Effexor in my mouth again.  If my GP gently recommends that I try going back to 37.5 just for a while, I will not be responsible for my actions or his health. 

My words have reached my limit, so thank you for being here!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am SO sorry to hear about the problems you have been having. I fervently hope things get better. You are in my thoughts. Hang in there and try to take good care of yourself. I do believe there is light at the end of this tunnel.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear of the trouble you're having.  I came off 75mg it very quickly over 9 days and have really struggled with the withdrawal.  I was off it 10 weeks and last night decided to finally reinstate on a quarter of a 37.5mg pill because things were so bad for me and my anxiety was being driven by the symptoms I had.

I think everyone will be different.  I came off it in 2009 without much of a problem, some emotional challenges but nothing physical other than the electric shocks which disappeared pretty quickly and in around month I was well again.

Supplements that helped me recently were Omega fish oils, that reduced the electric shock sensations and got me through that stage.

Hope you are healing soon.

• Posted

Thank you a-jay.  It is a huge help to talk to folks that know and speak from the experience.
  • Posted

I have now increased my dose to four beads a day and my mood is no longer  psychotic but, I can't stop felling faint every time I stand up, sometimes so bad I have to lie on the floor, then comes the  nausea and hot flush! I have completely lost my  appetite, which I might add is no bad thing as I teand do to comfort eat and put on weight. The odd thing is I'm putting on weight! I'm thinking fluid retention maybe? I'm a bit worried as I don't want to hurt my heart. I'm on maximum fish oil and drinking plenty, any thoughts please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.