Coming off fluoxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've been on anti depressants for at least 10 years. I am unsure exactly when I started again. For most of that time I was on 10mg citalopram until December 2014 when it was increased to 20mg. Tried setraline in February 2015 which I didn't get on with and then switched to Prozac a few weeks later. Prescribed 40mg but ignored practioner nurse and have been taking 20mg.

I am now just over 7 weeks stopped. I was doing ok but recently have been struggling a little. I have been feeling tearful although not actually crying at times and anxiety has come back a little. I was dating for a short while and she broke that off so this is affecting me too.

I haven't reached for the Prozac yet but have been tempted. I want to stay strong and stay off.

Any advice?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I've recently stopped taking fluoxetine too. It has a long half life so although it has been 7 weeks, it has only recently been completely out of your system. I've had days where I've considered taking it again as I'm struggling to cope but I try and focus on why I stopped taking it. I really struggled with the side effects and if I can stay off it, then I will. 

I think if you're having more bad days than good then maybe you're not ready to be off medication yet, but take some time to think about it as it isn't going to work instantly if you start taking it again. You should also see a GP before starting it again as they may have better advice for you or should at least know that you've decided to take it again.

hope this helps,

Roxi

• Posted

Thanks Roxi, that has helped. I will see how I go.
  • Posted

Yes! Take a much smaller dose of fluoxetine. I had been on it for about 7 years at about 1mg per day. Eventually started feeling depressed and irritable so like an idiot I thought I needed to change meds. Went on Zoloft 25 then 50 then 75. It was horrible. Just went back to fluoxetine last week but standard starting dose of 10 mg made me feel horribly depressed, anxious and awful cardiac arrhythmia. Did some research online and found info about people doing very well on "micro-doses" of SSRIs. I believe I'm in that category. I clearly cannot take even the starting dose of any SSRI, but I definitely need something. I've tried every SSRI at the "recommended" dose and I stopped all of them because they made me feel much much worse. I do well on about 1mg of fluoxetine per day. Sounds ridiculous but it works for me. Doctors prescribe way too much of these very harsh and potentially damaging medications. For me, in this case, less is more.

• Posted

Thanks Dawn, that's very interesting. I agree less is more and doctors do prescribe willy nilly and will increase your dose or change your meds at a drop of a hat.

• Posted

Yes they do. So many people don't have succes with these meds and that could be why. It's discouraging and disempowering when people are already depressed and scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.