Utetine fibroid Embolisation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi al. Just a quick update on day 3 of my period and its light. Still got the pregnancy belly only 2 weeks of the 6 month mark. And I have found out why my belly button sticks out its a hernia brought on by my stomach swelling. Having an MRI scan in a few days and then will see consultant where they will no doubt say it has Shrunk. It has but nowhere near enough I was asked if I'm pregnant today so that's how much it's shrunk. On the plus side periods are miles better now 2 heavy days and a few light days so probably don't have anemia any more. Still go to the toilet loads though. Hope everyone is well.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia, at least the periods are better, hopefully the swollen tummy can be sorted too. I am 2 months post Esmya, no bleeding, tummy is soft, just hoping the monsters don't grow back this time. Still getting menopausal symptoms, flushes every 2 hours....

• Posted

Hi christine, sorry just jumping in but how long was you on esmya for? When did you start to notice it was working and what did you notice first. I'm on my second packet 9f the 1st 3 month treatment. I've lost 10lb and my stomach has shrunk a great deal, haven't had any bleeding at all; stopped pretty much straight away. How much do they shrink and how quickly? What should I expect when I take my break. I'm having a lot of dizziness and fatigue.

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I have taken 3 courses of Esmya, each for 3 months, with a gap of  about 2 months in between. In each case I only really noticed shrinkage in the last month. I started taking mine at night so I didn't suffer the fatigue or dizziness. The first time I did not bleed for 2 months after finishing the course, then had a sudden large loss which continued on and off until the second course. After the second course I started bleeding again quite quickly, and I didn't get a lot of shrinkage. This time it's 2 months and I can't feel the uterus yet. Fingers crossed as I am past menopausal age, I am also taking supplements and being careful with my diet.

• Posted

What I'd an embolism? Is it suitable for large fibroids, 2 to be precise. I need to have mine removed but not sure what options I should be telling my consultant I want. I'm on esmya st the momebt, second packet of the 3 months.

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

embolyzation can be done on large fibroids. I had a very large one. They were multiple. My uterus measured like a 5months pregnancy. But I had embolyzation in the month of May. Procedure is quite expensive since I do not have health insurance. But it's worth it. Am getting better. My period no longer flows like my intestines are going to come out. Period is on at the moment,  day  1& 2 were very light, only heavy on day 3. Very light on day 4&5.. Am on iron tabs and folic acid currently. Will be on those for next 2 months on till the bleeding normalizes. So if you are considering it. It's ok. Contrary to what the doctors say, the result is not immediate though. It's gradual till about 5-6 months. I have had open surgery twice and had to deal with the trauma of pains and healing for about 2-3 months. But you do not need that long on ufe. 

• Posted

I'm in the UK, wonder if is available on the nhs. I'll speak to my consultant at my next appointment. Thank you for your reply and glad your getting relief from these monsters

• Posted

Hi Patricia, glad to hear at least your periods are lighter. I had a scan at 4 weeks due to problems with machines during op meaning it was only half done. Results nit encouraging he struggled to find any signs of shrinkage and at very end found one of the smaller 4cm ones had shut k to 3.5, all of half a centimetre. He did say it was early days and I am re scheduled to have another scan in 2 months time as he saId most shrinkage occurs by 3 months. Still have same bladder issues and still look pregnant so I'm not hopeful. He has I dictated I will probably have to go in again but it's still not guaranteed to work. So frustrated I wasn't given the option of sorting it once and for all with a hysterectomy. Let us know how your scans go.

• Posted

hi Ali,

truth is that 4 weeks is too early to see any meaningful change. i was meant to see my Gynea after 6weeks but i did not go because i felt i may not see any good change and i did not want to put myself under undue stress. i wanted to wait ontil my period becomes lighter which will be an indication that the procedure is actually working.on i think it is. i had my ufe on the 4th of May.its exactly 2months today. my stomach has reduced a bit and am glad my period is not as heavy as before. i expect a much lighter flow next month then i can go and see my gyneacologist. i think you need to be patient a little. systems are different. the procrdure works. i think in your own case its a bit slow. just be patient and watch how your period goes. your stomach reducing may take time even if the the period becomes lighter but i would advise that you dress around it. get some waist slimmers and tight. that is what i use. no body knows i suffer from severe fibroids because i have all kinds of tights for cover. i hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Ali, can I ask about your bladder problems? Do you struggle to get any wee out, especially in the mornings. I have to wiggle round several times before I can get anythibg going.
    • Posted

My bladder only has half the space it should which means I leak if I cough, sneeze, move quickly etc, so I can no longer do agility with our dog. I sometimes want to go but have to strain to get things going x
    • Posted

I have the same too, stress incontinence, difficulty starting a stream, I also have a prolapse bladder and womb all because 9f the fibroids. They are such a problem aren't they. I'm on my 2nd box of esmya (1st 3 month course) I have notice some improvement in urinating and I've lost weight so hoping 8t continues but ultimately want them out asap just not sure how they are going to do it yet.

• Posted

Same problem here, before my third course of Esmya I was having to wear a pad as much for the incontinance as well as for the bleeding! Yet you can never empty the bladder. It has much improved now though, my only problem is that if I leave it too long I really can't hold on, so do make more frequent trips to the toilet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.