Did taking Gabapentin mess up your stomach??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been off Gabapentin for months now and still having digestive issues..did this effec anyone else this way??

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I've stopped talking gabapentin for over a year now and I'm still having stomach issues. Dr's. Don't want to admit that it messed my stomach up royally, but I'm still having issues. Keep talking to your Dr. Phenagren (sp?) had helped me so much with the nausea is has caused me. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for responding nausea is mild it's the bloating that bothers me!!

Good Luck

• Posted

Sorry for the digestive issues you are dealing with.  Curious - how long were you on the gabapentin and did you taper off gradually?  I am taking it for neuropathy and cannot stop taking it currenty.  But, I would love to get off of it -- I also worry about what it is doing to my body!  My memory is already being affected.  

Good luck -

• Posted

I was on it for about 14 months for osteoporosis pain built up to 3200 mgs. It wasn't helping so my Rheumatoligist told me to drop to 1600 for 5 days then 800 for 5 days and I should be good! He was SO wrong withdrawal was horrid my family Dr said I should of been taken down 100 mgs at a time over a series of months!!!

Lesson learned. so if you get off of it please do it ever so slowly don't rush it

I am much better. I got off it in February and still dealing with it!!

Good Luck!!

• Posted

I was on it for 4 years. 1200mg 3xs a day. I just stopped one day, even though I wasn't supposed to. But I was on it for nerve pain and migraines.

• Posted

Actually, I was prescribed Gabapentin by my GI doctor at Stanford for stomach issues!  Been on it, at various doses, for over a year. Had I known then what I do now, don't know that I would have started it but nothing else was working.  I am trying to decrease by 100 mg a week.  Have had memory issues and weight gain.  Maybe it wasn't the Gabapentin but who knows?  

• Posted

I have just gone down to 0, last dose was 50 mg a week ago. I had been on it for 6 years, at a max of 3600 a day for Lyme pain. I got down from 3600 to 100 over 18 months before finally going to 50 and then 0. Ever since I got below 100, I have had intense nausea and stomach pain, as well as some rebound pain in my spine (that pain was why I started it). Have other people experienced this nausea? How did you treat it, and how did it resolve (hopefully it did resolve) - any response welcome.
    • Posted

Wow, that is a pretty high dose for a long time!  I am still trying to decrease 100 mg a week. As I have GI issues, it is hard for me to tell if any symptoms are from the Gabapentin decrease!  Also, I have developed neuropathy and numb big toes still being tested for and Dictirs admit they usually prescribe Gabapentin for this!  

I think I am an expert on nausea! Had it before I started this drug and still have bad days, no vomiting.  Some suggestions.....

try drinking ginger and honey in water.  I actually have packets of crystalized ginger and honey I got from the Chinese acupuncturist I have gone to.

try acupuncture.

i could not take Phenergan, gave me tremors.

doctor gave me an older med called Tigan I can take 3 x daily

i also have Zofran.  I can use both.  If one does not work in an hour, I can add the other.  

Tea and saltines.

miserable, I know!  

• Posted

Thanks Margot - I will try the ginger (should have thought of that - I took it when I was pregnant many moons ago)
  • Posted

oops Sandy see you already replied - how's your stomach now?

• Posted

Still have issues, some bloating and nausea is now very mild.

Makes me mad I have never had stomach problems before I got off Gabby sad

• Posted

me either - a week out and still have the nausea

• Posted

My nausea has not been to bad lately good days and bad. It's the bloated feeling I hate.

I am in my 5th month off Gabby praying each day gets better. And compared to 3 months ago I am a whole lot better!!

• Edited

Thanks so much for the encouragement - I will think good thoughts for your continuing recovery from this nasty drug - still can't believe it's considered so benign by doctors

• Edited

Just take one day at a time..my Rheumatoligist told me when I got off of it that he had never heard of anyone having withdrawal from getting off it..WHAT??  My family doctor was very upset..

?Its a nasty drug..it might help some people but ther needs to be warnings about getting off of it..

?Keep in touch..wink

• Posted

I will - and even if I had known how bad it was I probably would have started cause I was in agony with Lyme neuropathic pain. But to have people say that they don't understand why you feel so bad when you try to get off is very upsetting. Nausea actually a bit better right now - as you say, one day at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.