Peeling hands

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had Ss since I was 23 with a myriad of different effects on my body. At 51 I just got a new one. My hands (fingers,and palms mainly) are peeling out of the blue. Does anyone else experience this? I think I may be in the middle of a flare. My skin is dry and cannot live without hand cream/body lotion but I could live with my hands dipped in cream all day and it's not helping the peeling. Will this just disappear as quickly as it appeared? Anything I can do to help it dissipate in terms of creams or vitamins or herbs?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sunkissed,

I have a bad time keeping up with my skin.  I was on Methotrexate, and that just about destroyed my skin, and have tried just about everything...which did not work...UNTIL...I have been reading a lot about Coconut Oil.  Preferably Organic Coconut Oil from Hawaii.  The one I have been using is just on the shelf at the grocery store...the most highly recommended...it comes in a plastic jar, and looks more solid, white in color.  Not the liquid.  A very small amount goes a long way!!  I have been using it daily, all over as soon as I come out of the shower.  Let it dry before getting dressed.  Once it soaks in, it is not greasy.  It will feel a little that way at first...just don’t use too much!!  Small amounts!!  You will get the feel of it.  It does not smell like coconut.  I think you will find you will start seeing a huge difference in your skin, including your hands!  I put it on my hands every morning when after I am done doing everything, then again at night before bed.  It will also start taking away any spots you might have on your skin.  It really is amazing stuff.  You don’t need to spend a lot of money on the stuff with all the big names, and fancy ingredients.  All you need is the 100% coconut oil, and make sure it is organic.  If you want a scent, you can add your own oils if you like.  I put a little in a small glass jar, and add a small amount of mint and even smaller amount of eucalyptus, this is a nice fresh scent, and also a calming scent, that can help you sleep at night.  I just use it plain for the daytime, as I can use my perfume.  And on top of it...you can cook with it!  LOL  It has worked better than any lotion, skin butter on the market, and I have tried all kinds of lotions.  I have spent more money on stuff that does not work at all.  This is the only thing I have tried that has actually done what it says it will do, and beyone!  BTW...it can be used on your face, as a makeup remover, skin cream for the face too.  Good ol Nature!  I wish you luck!!  Can't hurt, and it is not costly!

• Posted

Thanks Deidra..

I have had a lot of hair loss and breakage on the e DS of what locks I have left and the miracle product for me..you guessed it Coconut oil. That and Argan oil which is also that craze now luckily it's cost effective since you only use tiny amounts. Wl try it on my hands and let you know how it goes. Sunny

• Posted

Sunkissed...have you tried taking Biotin?  I too have had hair loss, and breakage, and started taking Biotin supplement.  It comes in 5,000, 7,500, and 10,000 mcg.  I take 7,500 and it has done wonders for my hair!  Within just a couple of months I had hair growing, and my hair was looking healthy.  My Mom has Lupus, and lost most of her hair.  I got her to take it as well, now her hair loss was much more dramatic, but she had hair growth, and when she takes her wig off at home, she is more comfortable now, she does not look like she has no hair!  She is so happy now.  As for me, I can no longer see my scalp!  My hairdresser said my hair not only looks so much better, but feels so much more healthy now.  I will continue to take it from now on with all the meds I take, I need all the help I can get!  I also use a good shampoo and conditioner called Nioxin for thining hair and breakage.  I love the way it smells, and the way it makes my hair feel.
    • Posted

Hey Deidra, you and Sunkissed have got me thinking about biotin and coconut oil now! I'd already been wondering about the latter. My skin is pretty dry but I can control it with dermatological skin creams like E45 and fancier stuff for my face. But I've always had really brittle nails and weak, fine hair. The latter have been made much worse in the last 10 years or so by SS-related hypothyroidism. Starting thyroxine slowed down the actual hair loss but my hair is still in a terrible state and getting worse with age.

Both are now on the shopping list for my next trip to the old country in September! (More choice of supplements, vitamins etc. there and much cheaper.)

• Posted

only other thing I can think of is 100% Aloe, but it can be sticky feeling.  But once it dries, it does make your skin feel soft, and it is healing.  Just an FYI 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.