Newby I ate Chinese food white rice

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is the first time for me to post here. I'm noticing that after I eat white rice I have a flare up, anyone else? I can not find an answer by searching in general.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I can't eat any rice - it can cause problems with the diverticular pockets - however others will have no side effects. It's all trial and error really, it took me 7 years to discover I am unable to eat any fibre!!! Now on low residue forever as it suits me, also lactulose twice a day. Best to put rice on your 'avoid' list!

• Posted

Thank you linda346, My husband and I both were sure this has happened twice after eating rice. This will go on my avoid list; this is horrible.
    • Posted

Yes, my 'avoid list' seems to get longer and longer!!! Luckily I can eat tomatoes, in fact my dinners generally consist of tomato pasta, macaroni cheese or  salads with just lettuce, tomato and cheese!!!! Oh to be able to eat  beans on toast, fish and chips, (fries) and meat tho I do occasionally nick a chip off my husbands plate!!!!!  I am surprised you have to wait for blood results before they will give you antibiotics, in the meantime you are suffering pain!  Are you in the States?  Over here, we can generally get antibiotics straight away once you've been diagnosed with dd.  Hope you get sorted soon. 

• Posted

Yes, I had to wait for antibiotics; I'm in the states.

• Posted

Hi  Linda, I posted on another thread, that we all need to know our bodies and how we react to different foods, non of the doctors have a pat answer, I could Never live on a low fiber diet, the only thing that keeps the attacks at bay for me is high fiber, lots of water, and I avoid fatty foods, alcohol & any thing that dries out my system.But we are all different, I think any one with our problems should keep track of what they eat and drink and figure out what causes the flare ups or infections and avoid those things!

• Posted

Yes you're totally right - newly diagnosed people want reassurance about what causes flares but it's as you say, we are all completely different in what we can tolerate. Takes a long time to find the right balance. Many people can't eat tomatoes because of the seeds but luckily I can! Which is good as not being able to eat vegetables means my dinner plate is a bit boring!!! I'm glad we have both found what suits us!

• Posted

the thing is ,to overcook everything,  and don't put cardamon seeds in your rice,that is ,if you make it yourself

• Posted

Hy jacqueline01135  this is my daughters name, nice. My husband mentioned that maybe there was sesame in the general tso, No more rice for me. Thank you
    • Posted

Sorry you are giving up on rice, I use it in a few different meals, but i 

do make sure it is tender Al dente seems to be the popular standard  

for rice and pasta, but not my taste, Keep your bowels in good form, then nothing will be able to settle in the pouches. 

I just avoid seedy things, I strip tomatoes of skin and seeds ,and

scrape the centres out of bananas, bit  fiddley but it's worth it, to me.

Chew  everything really well  

Jacqueline x

• Posted

My GP advised me to avoid dried, stored food, including rice, pasta, cereals etc and it certainly seems to work for me.  I can't eat rice and only fresh pasta without some kind of reaction.  I had stored egg noodles last week which I thought might be ok but no... I had a bad reaction.  I still have off days and am still figuring out which foods to avoid but the advice from my GP worked well. 

• Posted

Thank you

I'm still in pain it started Saturday and it is now Wednesday; I'm on Tramadol. It was 4th of July weekend and I waited til Tuesday to see my GP; I'm waiting on blood work for white cell count to see if I can have an antibiotic. Over the weekend I tried to take care of it myself with a heating pad, liquids, bedrest as I normally do, but that is not working. I have never had this bad of a flare up. Either way no more rice for me.

• Posted

I don't recall having an issue with rice, but I don't eat it very often. My worst episodes comes from red meat.

• Posted

When I was first diagnosed 12 years ago the consultant told me to avoid beef, pork or lamb as they are all fibrous and hard for the colon to cope with - haven't eaten any since but he said chicken is fine so I do eat that occasionally!

• Posted

I'm going to note what each of you have good experience eaingt, this last epidsode was horrible. 

• Posted

I know, it's horrible - do know how you feel. Trouble is, we all tolerate different food, others will be fine with rice! I am on the low residue diet which goes through the colon easily, white bread, white pasta, no root vegetables or any vegetables which cause wind (gas) , only chicken, no other meat and no fibre at all - you may find it suits you, it may be worth a try! Look on Mayo Clinic Low Residue Diet. Take care and best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.