mirtazapine increase

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone   been on 30mg mirt since march  was doing great  sleeping fine, mood lifted  and felt so much better  apart from the weight gain,    anyhow this all came to a end last monday   when i started feeling sick, no appetite  really low mood  panic attacks etc,    went to see my gp today  who upped my dosage to 45mg    (i really didnt want to do this)  but he said if i stopped them to be put onto something else  i could go worse   which put the fear of god into me  as ive heard so many people say it was a nightmare coming off them .   sat here crying wondering what to do for the best  do i take them  or not   if they dont work  then thats just a higher dose to come down from  which will take me longer to get them out of my system     or do i try see if they work . xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So 4 months or so on 30mg Mirt ... that isn't very long for it to suddenly "poop out".  I'm wondering if you have taken any other meds, antibiotics or natural supplements that may have interacted?  Or maybe a stressful time recently or over doing exercise?

I have no idea if 45 mg could be better for you, I think you are right to be cautious, but time is on your side, so take your time considering this, but of course AD's are only a sticking plaster to help tide you over a difficult time during depression/anxiety/insomnia etc.  Maybe another option might be CBT, or Mindfully Based CBT?  

Wishing you well Patricia.

• Posted

Hi Patricia84103  sorry to hear your experience with mirtazapine. I am taking 30mg and have gained weight from the med. I sleep well with it but I need to talk to my Dr.about maybe getting off it. I heard from another Dr. that while taking this med it is harder to lose weight. In your case however, I would try something new rather then raise the dose.It's your call and I wish you all the luck. cat196111

• Posted

hi cat   well i had to choose  there and then in the doctors surgery.  i have a family camping trip which was booked at the begining of the year  and we are 3 weeks away now from going,  i also have been so looking forward to going and spending time with my family ,   The doctor said he could take me off them  and try something else  but i could go worse   or i could try upping the dose see if it helps,   i really didnt want to feel any worse  so decided to go the 45mg   which i took one last night   hoping and praying  they do the trick,   And In reply to calmer, i  did try a digestive enzyme  for a couple of days  because i was full of wind and grumbling stomach    do you think it may be them thats caused it to poop out  also had abit of a stressfull time with my daughter spliting up from her boyfriend  xxx
    • Posted

Hi Patricia

All the symptoms you describe "when i started feeling sick, no appetite  really low mood  panic attacks etc, and then you added full of wind and grumbling stomach" are symptoms folk usually experience when doing a quicker taper from Mirt', also, and interestingly in your case, when Mirt poops out the same symptoms come on, forcing you into invoiluntary discontinuation syndrome !  Worth exploring that idea?  

No I don't think the digestive enzyme would have any effect on Mirt, only in as much as easing the tummy.

Anyways, I hope you pick up and will be well for your vacation.

Best wishes x

• Posted

HI Patricia I have been taking 30mg of mirt. and I am going to try 15mg of mirt tonight. which is the dose I started with.hopfully I will have no side effects.I cant see why I would. As far as your case mirt could have a part with stress but im not 100% certain. stress is brought on by so many things and it may not be related to any of your meds?? Enjoy your vacation thats what you need time with family.cat196111
  • Posted

Hi Patricia - I was on 30mg of of Mirt for about 4 years. It's been great for helping me to sleep but my anxiety has never really improved. I've also been taking it with other meds. I've tred it with Effexor, Paxil, Tritellix and now Cipralex. I would always feel quite nervous and anxious. Someone on the forum suggested that I may be suffering from Seritonin syndrome. Basically too much Seritonin which will increase anxiety and nervousness. I reduced the Mirt to 15mg and I felt better the next day. I decided to try to get off Mirt but going down to 7.5mg was horrible. I will continue to try as feel quite sure that Mirt if causing some of my anxiety now. 

The point is that if you don't need to take it, don't. It does have horrible side effects.

• Posted

Hi Paul

I was wondering, did you drop 30 to 15 mg in one fell swoop?  Thats a mighty cut, also when you say you tried 7.5 and it was horrible - did you do another 50% drop?   You might be interested to read, for your comfort and full informed choice, the advice regarding 10% reduction from the last dose.  

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum, 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".   

Hoping this might help you a little in the future.

Best wishes.

• Posted

As anyone ever suffered really bad gas since taking mirt ? i suffer with excessive wind so embarrasing  doctors said it could be ibs as ive had diarrhea too,   but no matter what i eat im always full of gas  just wanted to know if anyone else suffered bad with it whilst taking mirt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.