Diverticulitis DIlemma

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm in a dilemma now.  Little over a week ago, had very bad stomach pain on left side - mid abdomen.  Went to an Urgent Care center & he felt it was DIverticulitis, so put me on Augmentin & ordered a CT scan.  Got CT that day, and next day went to my GI who has done 2 colonoscopies on me in last 5 years - last one a year ago.  I had a few diverticulum (we all do, and I am almost 70) but no issues. He now diagnosed Diverticulitis, BUT the CT scan didn't show it.  No fever, No bleeding, no elevated white cells, but both docs said CLINICALLY it is Diverticulitis.

A week later, after being on a liquid & then a low-residue diet, pain totally gone.  Then yesterday, as I stood up I  had pain in my lower back unlike any pain I ever experienced before.  COuld barely move. Called Ortho, and saw him.  X-ray showed degenerated disc L4/L5. He said it was only a matter of time with that and my bad scoliosis.  I told him I was just finishing up diverticulitis.  He could not give me a shot though, because my platelet count was too low to give an epidural. So He put me on the  Prednisolone 6 day pack.

Next day, saw my Gastro, and he had a mini-fit about being on the steroid, because that makes infection more likely, and Divertculitis is contraindicated with Prednisolone.  I am only on day 2 of the Prednisolone.  Gastro put me back on Augmentin  and low-residue diet for another week.

So now I am in quite a quandary - I don't think I can quit the Pred cold turkey, but it could exacerbate my DIvert.  Wondering though if the short term Pred is not really a problem re reinfection.

What a Mess!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am sorry you are feeling unwell.  I have a serious case of diverticulitis with flares off and on that last months.  I also have arthritis and a hip inpingement that causes pain, and problems trying to walk.  I have been told under no circumstances can I take an anti inflamintory or steroids to help with the pain caused by arthritis.  I did learn the hard way after a month on an antiflamitory which in turn caused a bad flare of diveritculitis that lasted almost 6 months of misery. Just some background to help you with your decision. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your experience.

Hopefully the fact that the steroid is ony for 6 days it won't be a big problem.  Waiting for return calls now from both the Ortho & Gastro

• Posted

Please let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Very odd stuff so far.  First of all, Diverticulitis pain is usually in lower left abdomen - mine is upper left. My pain has pretty much been gone since last Tuesday - 4 days - the day my back went out.  The two Drs are each pointing to the other as to whether I should have taken the steroid for my back. So today I am on day 4 of the steroid.  Pain in stomach has been gone - EXCEPT - if I lay on my right side, I get a little pain on the upper left. Once I move to my back or stomach or left side, pain goes away.  

I've been eating a low residue diet for about 6 days now and my bowels seem to be normal.  But a litttle twinge of pain in upper left before I go. Goes away afterwards.

Unfortunately, back still pertty bad - my dog not happy because our walks are very slow - too slow for her  :-)

• Posted

I think you have something different. Go back to Dr's and ask for a scan of your pancreas.  Your pain radiating from your back maybe something different.  

• Posted

GI Doc considered that too - saw nothing in scan.  Scan did show an issue in Cecum, but that is wrong side.  He's actually more concerned with that than he is the diverticulitis.  

Once things are cleared up, Dr wants to do a Colonoscopy to see what's going on better, even though I just had one exactly a year ago.

Back totally unrelated to stomach issue. Back just suddenty went out as I stood up.  Have had back issues on & off for 40 years!

• Posted

Responding to my own post - wondering when I can get back to NORMAL food.  Have been on Low residue diet for most of the week. No symptoms.  Still on Augmentin for another 3 days.   Do I start adding fiber back into diet now, or wait until no more antibiotic - will have been 14 days on it.   Seeing Dr again in 8 days - then next day supposed to leave on a short vacation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.