Depression after THR

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm only 10 days out from THR. But this morning I just started crying for no reason! I'm always on the go and knowing I can't do much with this 90 degree thing is already getting to me. I have started to walk unassisted but it is hard when my new hip side leg is longer thand the other. Pulling lots of muscles trying to walk with out a limp.

Patients I do lack!

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning Lorrena -- I think that depression is pretty common following major surgery.  Tomorrow will be 3 weeks out for me.  I think the first two weeks I had some adrenaline going on.  Pumped that the surgery seemed to go so well, had lots of visitors bringing food and flowers and fun conversation.  Things are slowing down now and I'm feeling like I want my old life back.  But really, it's two more months before I can forget about those precautions. So that can be a bit depressing.         So hope you can find some things you can enjoy -- I'm loving watching Wimbledon.  Addicted to Netflix.    Love my iPad and this forum.   Avid reader (though I must say I haven't read much since my surgery).  And I invite people over to visit and they seem happy to do that -- I live alone so have to put myself out there sometimes.      What sorts of non-action things do you enjoy?         I'm impressed that you are walking unaided.   I still use a walker though I put less and less pressure on it every day.  But I was told to use it until my visit with my surgeon which is later today.    Yesterday I practice walking with crutches but I must say that I found the walker to be way more comfortable.        Anyway -- you'll find this forum to be a wealth of information and lots of fun so post lots!    Hugs,  Leslie

• Posted

Thank you Leslie!

It's nice to know I'm not alone!

I have always been very active, they call me the energizers bunny I will be 66 in a few weeks and I clean houses for a living. I go none stop. So to go from that to 0 is hard. I go out side and sit, read, watch TV, do my exercises. I just need patience.

I think I did to much yesterday sore today. The tears just came at breakfast for no reason, not like me.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Ahhhh.....I know that feeling of those tears.  You say 'no reason,' but really, tons of reasons.  Years of probably being in pain.  A hugely major surgery.  Not being able to be the person you are used to being -- that energizer bunny.  Maybe feeling a little scared that you overdid yesterday.  So, I would say relax into it and have a good cry.  Sometimes it feels soooo good afterwards.

I've never had a house cleaner until this surgery.  I have a service where two cleaners come for an hour.  It certainly is a help but I wish you were recovered and lived nearby!  I'm not sure these cleaners are very energetic.  I often feel that I could have done a better job!  However, I shouldn't complain because it's better than nothing......but I was expecting more!

Before my surgery, I was seeing a chiropractor regularly.  So I'm using the money I paid for that to pay for the cleaners!

Hugs,

Leslie

• Posted

Super answer Leslie.

Patience is hard but absolutely necessary. Doing too much too soon can delay recovery of all the connective tissues that were outright cut or traumatized during the surgery. This happens on multiple layers that I truly never thought about prior to this surgery. But I definitely have a better appreciation of them now as each and every one of them are 'clamouring' to be heard at times.

Try to be patient Lorrena - you need to focus on recovering and it is time to let others thank you for all your help in the past??

Regards,

Linda

• Posted

PS - I doubt anyone is prepared for how long recovery takes and this is a huge hit when we realize the immensity of it. This is not a quick fix.and recovery is a bit a of a physical and emotional rollercoaster because we feel helpless at times, progress sometimes slides backwards and we want to be BETTER?

Hugs,

Linda

• Posted

Hi Lorrena I remember the blues well, and the pain and the worries, and as soon as the dressing is off, and you can shower, carefully, you will start to feel better again, and the bed excersise is the most important thin that you can be doing to get the leg right. I am a year out of it now and walking about fine, if more slowely, still readjusting, but no pain at all, I really do have my life back.It gets easier with time and as you say patience.....Ian.
  • Posted

Hi Lorrena,

I remember crying like that at two weeks after my posterior right thr. It was my 58th birthday and I felt so sad, frustrated and old! Prior to that I was very active with no hip pains at all. I am a pet sitter and I literally slipped in a big dog poo mess on 12/30/15. I didn't see it and right leg went under left leg, twisted and torqued and I went down on my right hip on hard tile floor and fractured my femur head and slightly dislocated hip. I didn't have my phone and was there 4 1/2 hours before someone heard my crys for help.

Now I walk unaided without a lot of pain but have this pronounced penguin walk that came on around 5 1/2 months out and still working to correct it. My leg feels sort of like rubber and so I press on with exercises etc. Hang in there and stay strong! We are alive and we will adjust and improve.

Hugs

Cindy

• Posted

Thanks! It was just strange for me to Cry! It has only been 10 days but today seem to be ruff. I seem to hurt more,than yesterday. And this not doing anything is killing me. I just accidently sat in my recliner, Hope I didn't hurt myself more by jumping up.

Going to take it easy the rest of today. Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Cindy -- your accident on the dog poo sounds horrible!  And having to lie there for 4.5 hours.  How awful.  Was this prior to any hip surgery?  I'm glad you're now getting stronger and continuing to improve.  Hugs,

Leslie

• Posted

Hi Leslie,

Yes, this was the fall that led to my needing a thr. I had no pain prior to that. Thanks for responding and hope your recovery is going well.

Hugs,

Cindy

• Posted

What Leslie said!

I had a bit of a cry about the 10 day mark. 

Please don't worry about it. Even though you are on the way to a pain free hip. I so understand. Initially you can do much less than before the operation and your body feels like it has been in a car crash!

i have got used to not doing so much, try and enjoy the forced "laziness". 

Before long you will be back to Dycem Bunny mode!

The 90 degree thing is a complete pain. But I have found I can do most things apart from putting socks on my operated leg, shaving that leg and putting moisturiser on. Anoying to have to ask someone to do that for you. My 19 yr old son had a giggle putting a sock on for me! Lovely husband in now aquainted with Venus lady shave!

we are so lucky really. This is temporary and it WILL get better. It is early days. Keep posting and take care. Don't do too much too soon. 

Kris. X

• Posted

Lol you just said everything I'm feeling! My daughter takes me out to the porch to shave my legs in a car wash pail! You are so right, We will heal not cancer just a new joint! The energizer bunny ia going to get up out of this bed and get new battery's and leave the kleenex in the bathroom!

Thanks

• Posted

Hi on a personal note it took me ages to get socks on without the gadget, and I can now cut my toenails just like I used to...  idea so I am getting back to normal, you will never be quite the same as the person you were, but I have learned to dance now...cool and had no interest in that when I was in pain, and I am spending more money on photography equipment, than I ever dreamed I would,  redface and parting with stuff to charity,  eek  I have been a bit of a hoarder, redface so a real change in mantal outlook is happening, I now would like to slowely get into computer coding, and have bought two books on the subject, started reading them yesterday,   idea anything is possible,   exclaim so stay with it and look for the changes that will occur, they may surprise you.... Ian.  eek

• Posted

What a great post to read, Ian.  You're right that we will never be quite the same person as we were......and it's up to us to figure out who this new person will be.  A good time to maybe change some of the things we weren't thrilled about with ourselves and to find new interests.   Anything is possible.....and we might be surprised at what comes our way.  Thank you for writing that.      Leslie

• Posted

Thanks Leslie for the kind words, I have always been upbeat with my posts and used to have quite a following, less posts of course as I get better, but I still read most, and comment where I feel my expierience will be some help.  cool  Just love the Emocoms too.....cheesygrincheesygrin

• Posted

LOL, Ian  You're very good with the emojis ??????????

It's great when people who are further down the recovery line stay connected here and help us newbies.  Invaluable information.  I hope I will do the same.   Hugs.

• Posted

Hi ian, 

Good to see you here again, big guy and to read all the accomplishments - boy, how time has flown - one year ago we were in a different situation, weren;t we -

look at you now - a ballroom dancer wink - letting go of things that are no longer useful to you anymore --- and interest in doing something new ---

are you still working? 

thank you for sharing and having been there for me 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee, very kind words indeed, we are all here for each other as often little things go wrong, usually overdoing it, and worry us, then sort themselves out with a little time spent resting up. Yes I am still working just had some time off and tack tonight, I have more time off in September and there is the Blackpool Airshow on 7th August I have that day off too, with the new cam will get some great shots I hope.

So nice to hear from you again hope all is getting better will PM you some of my latest shots later today.  Ian ++

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.