Diverticulitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

★1

patty69073 Maddi2 minutes ago

Hello my name is Patty I was just told by a surgeon that I have to have my sigmoid colon removed .I had 4 attacks in a year and was in hospital.for 2 of them. This is very painful and believe its brought on by stress and diet .

Please can anyone tell me if they had this done and how do they feel and are there things u can not do or eat or even drink..I am nervous but the pain can be very intense and the more attacks you have the weaker the volon can get is that true

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patty!

I had elective sigmoid colectomy at end of Jan this year. Best decision that I ever made after years of DD.  Last year was the worst with antibiotics practically every 4-6 weeks because of flare-ups.  I was housebound for most of last year.

They removed all of the sigmoid colon and lots of adhesions from previous gynie  ops, which they said contributed also to my problems.

I didn’t need temporary colostomy bag.  I am now nearly 6 months in and although recovery was grim for first 6 weeks I knew I wasn’t experiencing the same symptoms I had before op. They were post op symptoms which gradually went away.

Just remember it takes time and you will find it tough to begin with but it gets better…. just take it easy and rest.  Go with what your body is telling you.  I did have to take a couple of courses of antibiotics for post op infection which cleared up.  I only needed to take paracetamol 4 x daily for first 6 weeks and now have to take Fybogel  2 x daily forever, but that is a small price to pay. Meals are more comfortable as small portions. Plenty of fluid is good. I now can eat whatever I want.  Haven't found anything that disagrees with me although I am still cautious about some things...like red meat and really bulky stuff.  Still cautious of skins and nuts and beans etc but have to say I have tried a few of these things and have been okay.  I always have a balance of everything but can't manage too much bulky foods  Bowel movements are differant ie. now tend to be in the evening but I was told it can take up to a year for things to get back to normal but normal might not be exactly what it was before the problem occurred.   I have no pain or flare ups and bonus is I’m not taking anymore antibiotics and all the other drugs and not spending my days hugging hot water bottle on sofa!! Now I have my life back.

Good luck Patty with your op and I am sure you will feel better like I do.  Am interested to know how it works for you. Anything else I can help you with let me know.

Regards 

Annie

• Posted

Glad to hear that Annie, I'm having surgery July 27 to get a small piece of my colon removed. I'm looking forward to not having to worry about what I eat anymore and having pain all the time. I hope I have the same luck you did.

• Posted

Good luck Carlos! I am sure all will go well!  Hope you let me know how it goes and if I can help with what I experienced let me know. Everyone is differant so will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Regards

Annie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.