Immediate release v prolonged release!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Curious to see whether people feel one works better as other?..also Effexor v generic venlafaxine??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Which 1 are you on cathy I'm on xr. . Taking its time tho.. I just feel so tired all the time.

• Posted

I was never on Effexor, I'm on venlafaxine and I love it. When I was first on it and when doc increased my dose, I was tired for about 5 days. After that, awesome energy, sharp mind and a consistently great mood. Give it time.

• Posted

Ahhhhh I wish that would happen to me I'm upto 225mg nw .. have been for 3weeks ..not seeing much change at all ?? my pdr is horid if I said these arnt workin after the mirt made me relapse & sertraline just made me yawn none stop. . She.l say there's nothing else for me or try n take me off lithium. She makes me feel like pathetic & worthless

• Posted

When u say venlafaxine is it immediate release or prolonged. Tablets or capsules. Name on packet?
  • Posted

I noticed no difference when I changed from Effexor xl to venlalic xl
  • Posted

Hi,

There should be no difference with generic drugs. XR version is probably better but is much more expensive I think. I use the non XR tablets and get on fine with them. If there is no cost implication to you try thr XR, otherwise try standard relese would be my advice. If you find you don't get on with it you can allways  change. Ven has a short half life of levels can fluctuate a lot on the non XR version and that causes some people issues.

BW, BM.

• Posted

I once ran out of Effexor XR 150mg while abroad and took a generic equivalent. Erm...took me two weeks to re-stabilize. I had no idea they could be so different. I remember thinking - same thing thank god i found the equivalent. Not so. Since then i am wary of generics. As for XR and IR they each have their merits. XR is better in the sense that it gives a more even/smoother effect throughout the day between doses. I found with IR they were great for getting used to the drug and for increasing the dosage giving shorter bursts until brain gets adjusted. Depends on the disorder or mix of disorders being treated though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.