Pain walking after being released at 10 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was released at 10 weeks July 1st but I am having a lot of pain in my foot I feel like I have a ball inside and it's so painful and makes me want to cry. Has any of you gone through this? I just barely was released July 1 and I took the boot off for the first time and this week I've been using regular shoes slowly the pain progressed and progressed and today it is so painful that I'm going to the doctors at 2:30 I have an appointment. Has any of you experienced this after not wearing your boot? Is it normal? I still have a lot of swelling. I have a sock to wear and need to ice and elevate. My doctor told me I could do everything. I have been on my feet all day this week. But today I woke up I could not stand the pain. Took 2 eleve and now I feel better. But I think something is wrong?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

YES!!!  Removing the boot was just the beginning of a long, long process.  My foot was VERY painful.  It just takes a long time to get back to normal walking because you haven't done that in so long -- plus the swelling is causing discomfort too.  But all of the tendons, ligaments & muscles haven't been used in 10 weeks.  Yolanda, I don't know what your surgery was -- mine was a lapidus  bunionectomy and shortening of two metatarsals.  I had one foot done 8 months ago and the other 5 months ago, I've been to 10 weeks of physical therapy.  I am STILL having pain when walking and have tried zillions of pairs of shoes & inserts.  The therapist tells me it "just takes time".  So don't get discouraged!  You will have to take it slow.  And I hope I didn't discourage you!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the info. I was in so much pain that for sure I thought something was wrong. Went to a doctor that was on call for the weekend. He checked gave me pain meds and crutches and took x-rays and to follow up with my surgeron. He said maybe the pins that were inserted may have moved. But not sure because he didn't review the x-rays. I will keep in mind that it's a slow process . Thank you so much. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Janice is right, the muscles, tendons & ligaments are stiff from not being used. They also were being misused before the surgery, so now the poor things need not only to learn how to move again, but how to move properly!

I'm 11 weeks post scarf bunionectomy, and also feeling a stiff sore pull under my arches, exactly like there's a ball of bound up muscles. In fact, I can even feel it.

I find that daily massages (Ive been copying my physios technique) and yin yoga (slow, restorative & mostly done on the floor) to stretch not only the foot but all the muscles connected to the feet has greatly eased the ball-like tension.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.