Toxic multinodular goitre

Posted , 2 users are following.

Following my thyroid scan I have been diagnosed with toxic multinodular goitre.

Has anyone had this diagnosis? Just wondering what to expect? I am currently off medication and blood test shows I am slightly hypo.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with a toxic multi nodular thyroid about 4 weeks ago. I first noticed that my thyroid felt larger about 12 months ago. My GP sent me for a scan which showed some nodules, measuring between 1cm & 3cm. My bloods were ok at that time so nobody seemed too concerned, apart from me! I asked to be referred to an Endocrinologist & after 7 months I got to see him. By this time I was anxious ++, my resting heart rate was about 110bpm, I was suffering crazy heat intolerance, palpatations, mood swings, weight loss, trembling etc. My bloods came back & my TSH was 0.03 & Cons diagnosed me as Hyperthyroid caused by a Toxic Multi-nodular Thyroid. Treatment suggestions were RAI, which I really dont fancy, plus my children are young so not advised. Ive started on 10mg Carbimazole, which ive been on for a week now, plus some supplements. Ive also adjusted my diet and cut out caffiene. Sorry for the drawn out response but i found it helpful to hear peoples stories. I didnt realise how horrid this illness can be. Have you had bloods done? Has your Consultant suggested any treatment? I think Radio active iodine is a first line treatment, followed by tablets, or surgery. I hope your getting some answers....and are on the road to recovery x

• Posted

Hi Veevee,

Thanks for the reply, I have already seen the consultant who gave me my scan results, because my bloods are showing that I am slightly underactive they felt it's best to stay off all meds & repeat the bloods again every month. I don't feel right at all, really tired even after sleeping 8hrs, irritable, feels like my body won't shut down, going really hot (especially at night) Consultant told me that it's almost certain I will go hyperthyroid again, if the goitre continues to give me problems I will have to go for the iodine treatment( which I don't really want to do) if that fails I will have to have the thyroid removed. Do you have a fullness feeling in your neck, it feels like I have a lump in my throat. I forgot to say I was on carbimazole last year when first diagnosed but it resulted in my thyroid completely closing down. Was given levothyroxine to kick start it. I just want to feel normal again. What supplements are u taking ? Hope u feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi, sorry for my late reply...yes I do feel a lump in my throat at times & my voice also goes funny every now & then! The symptoms are horrible, aren't they? I thought I was going through the menopause & my hubby thought id eventually turned loopy - but all jokes aside, I completely agree with you & just want to feel normal again. Your symptoms sound just like mine. I dont fancy the RAI treatment either, Im hoping the Carbimazole will help otherwise its surgery for me too - I decided to try & help things along by avoiding caffeine, processed carbs like white bread, pasta, potatoes, rice. Ive also cut out sugar so at the moment im eating alot of fruit, particularly berries, veg, eggs, yogurt, dairy, fish, chicken, beef, brown rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa, porridge and herbal tea. Chamomile seems to calm me down & help with my anxiety & Lemon Balm is known for helping with the thyroid. Im not 100% strict, I need cake every now & then! My supplements off the top of my head are: Magnesium, Calcium, Vit B Complex, Vit B12, Omega 3 & 6 & Selenium with added Zinc...Im hoping over the next few weeks along with my Carbimazole I'll start to see a difference! Hope you feel better soon too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.