Cortisol Spike at Night

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently did a saliva cortisol test throughout a day, and my cortisol was above reference in the morning, even morso at mid-day. Then it went to normal in evening, but the late night test (11 PM) was way high! It was 0.56 mcg/dL, about 5 times higher than the upper reference limit (normal is considered below 0.1-0.15). Do cortisol tests like this typically point towards Cushing's Disease or are there other possibilites?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There are many possibilities. Also these tests are not very reliable due to the nature of the method itself.

Repeat the test for several more days and then calculate the average curve. This will give you a more reliable result.

• Posted

Unfortunately I can't, because I did it through a doctor, and it costed a lot of money. I went back to the doctor for the lab followup never said anything about Cushings or tumors so I just never brought it up. Apparently I have low estradiol, testosterone, sub-par vitamin D and free T4, on top of the high cortisol. I feel like a lot of my symptoms are coming from the cortisol, but I really don't feel like I can reduce it no matter what I do.

• Posted

can you sleep? usually if corisol is spiking you can't sleep....at least that is what i've been told.

• Posted

I sleep very light and sleep bad if there is any light, sound, or any kind of discomfort. I wake up tired and unrested practically every morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.