Need advice ;(

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've posted new posts a few times but I have a couple questions. I've been on 10 mg flu for almost 3 months now. Ive been feeling fine the last week until today I had what I'm guessing was a panic attack out of nowhere. I started to not be able to breathe felt trembly. Extremely confused. I tried to calm down but couldn't so I took a little of my Xanax . I was fine an hour later wasn't very confused anymore and feeling better. Was that a panic attac? Or could it of led to a siezure? I have an extreme fear of having a siezure. Ive never had one and not sure if I ever could but I got nervous maybe that was. But idk. Also I've been feeling almost like I have a pinched nerve in my back and I feel shooing pains through my arms and legs every once in a while. And my neck and back hurt all the time. Idk if that has anything to do with fluoxetine or not? Idk I'm nervous. Thought things were getting to be ok and now maybe I should up my dose or try something new? Any suggestions?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HI M You sound just like me, im at 8 weeks 40mg. I get mini panic attacks or so i think they are, where i feel i cant breath, shaky, nervous, panicky, but i get too scared to take xanax so i just ride it out and it eventually goes away. I want to feel that i can control it now....and not freak out. Ive also been getting severe neck pain that it even hurts to turn my head from side to side, thus making my head feel pressurized almost numb and that makes me panic. I too dont know if that's the flu, or just stress in itself.....but i get it more once im at work...i have tried masages, pain meds, muscle relaxers, wont take it away....if i didnt have this i would feel perfect. hoping for better days**Atleast i know i wont die.....

• Posted

Same here! I have the same neck pain as well. And if I didn't have it I'd feel great, atlwast ID hope so. Idkrolleyes I'm only on 10mg so thinking of upping my dose Atleast to 15 or 20.

• Posted

3 months, you're still recovering.  Recovery on these meds often comes in waves, so you may start feeling better and then out of nowhere feel panicky or uncomfortable again.  Its normal.  You're still going through recovery, and in time these feelings should subside until they don't happen any more.

No, it won't lead to a seizure.  That's something completely different altogether.  You might feel as though the panic will increase until you do, but it simply can't happen.

Pinched nerve in your back could be from holding your body a little too tense, or it could indeed be completely unrelated.  Back and neck hurting is probably due to being tense too, though check how you're sitting.  Using a mobile phone, iPad, tablet, etc etc can lead to neck pain because if you hang your head forward it puts a strain on the neck.  It's called text neck :-)

Increasing your dose isn't aways the answer, though of course a higher dose suits some people and not others.  Increasing or decreasing doses usually brings about side effects again, but they're short lived and will wear off.

If you try and accept you may feel up and down for a little while yet, but understand its often how recovery works.  You're still levelling out.  Whatever dose you're on you will invariably get this up/down effect too - you can't escape it - but ... if will wear off in time.

I do reckon your neck and back pain are from tensing your body, but do go see your doctor if you are worried.

Yoga is a good exercise to adopt - it'll help you relax whilst also getting benefit from gentle stretching too.

K xx

• Posted

Wow thank you so much all that helped a lot. I'm just a 21 year old that had to deal with all this right when I moved out. ;( I've never taken meds or done anything like this before and I've never had any of these problems before all this hit me. You definitely helped me a lot, thank you so much!

<3 Mikayla

• Posted

My son was 21 when he had a huge melt down and it took him 9 months to recover.  Please don't worry about that timescale as its different for different people xx  He's 22 now and back to his normal happy self again.

Often this illness comes about following a long period of stress, or trauma and many other issues - everone's body has a different limit to how much stress they can cope with, and if stress if prolonged the body just does what it knows best in its defence.  Whatever your path that led you to it, we all seem to end up with the same symptoms.

I've also suffered from this many years ago and after years of being ill, I recovered within 6 months of starting the meds.

They really will help you, but you need lots of patience.  Talking to family, friends is a great help too - this is more common than you may think.  Keep in touch here too.

K xx

• Posted

Does your son still take fluoxetine or did he stop taking it after 6 months?
    • Posted

He's still taking it, which is now nearly 2 years.  He slowly stopped Mirtazapine earlier this year which helped him through the difficult times, and will come off Fluoxetine slowly sometime later.  He's back to his usual happy self again which did take a while.  It was a very difficult time for him, but slowly he recovered.

K xx

• Posted

I upped my dose from 10 mg to 15... I take it all at once in the morning but ever since for the first hour it makes me feel spacey almost like I can barely see or I'm struggling to see. Should I be worried? It's just kind of weird. Should I take it later in the day? Or does that even matter.

• Posted

So just upped my dose to 15MG. The only thing I feel is when I take it all at 10 is the first hour I feel like I'm spacey and my eyes can't see very well at all. Should I be worried? It almost feels like I am going to stop seeing completely. Or it feels spacey. Not sure. Anybody understand or jabe felt this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.