Treatment Recovery Times

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of the recovery times for the verious types of surgery relating to Uterine Fibroids.

I am intrested in understanding if any are done on an outpatient basis and if not typicly how long is the hospital stay after the opperation?

Any advise would be very much appreciated, the information is for a close friend whome lives in a country where surgery and after care are payable for and she also has a young daughter whome she needs to care for with no current living relitives, because of this she is intrested in finding an option that would allow her to return home sooner rather than laterafter surgery.

i.e.

1.    MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery (FUS)

2.    Uterine artery embolization

3.    Myolysis

4.    Laparoscopic or robotic myomectomy

5.    Hysteroscopic myomectomy

6.    Endometrial ablation

7.    Abdominal myomectomy

8.    Hysterectomy

Many Thanks in adavance for any answers or comments.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

7 and 8 hospital stay after sugery is usually 3 nights for NHS Hospitals and Private Hospitals are usually 5 night stay, if there are complicaitons then the stay is longer.  Recovery times once at home for 7 and 8 is 6 weeks  as both are considered major surgery.
  • Posted

Number 2 (UFE) is usually an overnight stay in hospital but I have heard of some people getting the procedure as an outpatient (procedure in the morning, monitoring all day then discharge in evening.

Recuperation time is anywhere between 1 and 3 weeks.

• Posted

#2 & #5 were both out patient procedures for me. I recovered from #5 within a week. I am on day 12 post-op of my UFE. The first week was brutal. It's getting easier but just started my period, I think and I passed a blood clot the size of my fist. Sorry for the TMI but thought you should know. Your friend will not be able to take care of her kids right away if she has a hysterectomy or an abdominal myomectomy. #7 & #8 from your list would require weeks if not months to recover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.