Will it always be like this

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive hit that brick wall again fighting with my own mind again. Ive now been on reduced dose 7.5 of mirt for about 7 weeks after too manu side effects on 15mg but this last week or so ive been struggling and fighting feeling very low. I was put on mirt in oct last year due to severe depression which seems to come on with a stressful event in ny life. This one being the death of my mum. Im a 42 yr old sinlge mum of 3 teenage boys. It helped hugely as id lost such a lot of weight and had a total breakdown but unfortunatly 15mggave me awful sode effects awful side effects. They tried upping to 30mg but this caused severe anxiety Ive always been very sensitve to medication. Prior to this i was on dosulepin for about 7 yrs but it pooped out on me big style. Im at a loss now as this horrible feeling of utter doom has crept back. Is this because 7.5mg is just not working for me. Im constantly tired and wake up several times mind racing almost like im having a fight inside my own head!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just want to add that in ny datkest hour while i was rocking back and forth in a ball in my bed wanting to die this site was my godsend i just dont want to be back at that place again
    • Posted

Hi Kelly sorry to hear that you're having a tough time with mirt.I want to say it's temporary and hope's that I'm right.I too lost my mom and I will never be the same.I am tapering off mirt due to weight gain.I really wish you all the best and so sorry about your mom.Cat196111

• Posted

Sorry its taken so long. I do hope its temporary cat i hate to say this drug os awful for side effects even though it definatly helped the depression but looks like i need so.ething else now. Losing your mum is the worst thing to happen in anyomes life isnt it xxx
  • Posted

Hi,if you are very sensitive to meds like me perhaps you cut back to 7.5 too quickly?

How long were you on 15?

• Posted

Hi

plainden.

I was on 15mg from say oct till about 8 weels ago the i dropped to half tablet due to side wffects doctor thought were being caused by mirt.

I am hugely sensitive to meds and it took lots of different anti depressants before i found dosulepin to work but as i said after about 7 years they had done there job and stopped working for me. My problem always seems to be brought on with stressful situations i cope with them brilliantly at first and it looks to people that i am doing great and then it hits me like a bolt and i get severe depression.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time, Kelly. Are you on any other meds? In general, mirtazapine's side effects are much more prominent in lower doses. At 7.5mg it's basically just a sleeping pilll. At 15mg it started to help my anxiety immensely. It's not until you get to 30 or 45mg that it actually beings to help depression.

I just lost my mom to Alzheimer's after taking care of her for 6 years. It's really hard. 

• Posted

Hi mud sorry its taken so long to reply.

U think you definatly right the 7.5mg is just a sleeping pill now even though i jisaying that i waken several times. I think it helped the depression massivly at 15mg but because of the horrendous other side effects such as awful dizziness stomach pain nausea all day list goes on i need off this drug.

But i hate to say its had the knock on effect of my depression coming back day by day. Ive fought hard to fight it off but even as i write this i feel so so down. I wake up just thinking afwul thoughts. So now i think i have to make an appointment and get them to gove me something new before it returns. I hope you are well

• Posted

Do you drink alcohol, by any chance? I'm a red wine lover who works in the industry, doing design for wine bars and restaurants. I found that one drink while taking mirtazapine feels like 2-3 drinks, and I would get immediate brain fog for at least 2 days even after just a couple glasses of wine—kind of like a dizziness but nothing would spin or anything. 

Is there a chance you have undiagnosed IBS or colitis or some sort of food sensitivity that might cause the stomach distress? Ir, sometimes anxiety and depression will make you feel physically ill—you probably know that already—most of us have dealt with that. I guess the only way to find out is to see if your symptoms go away when you're completely off the mirtazapine. Please let us know if it goes away or not. 

I am hanging in there. Dealing with guilt and shock. Taking care of my mom for all those years was the hardest thing I'll ever have to do. Alzheimer's is the cruelest disease. The suffering, fear and sadness I witnessed—happening to my favorite person on earth, my mom—I wouldn't wish that on anybody. 

I'm waiting for my insurance to go through so I can get some therapy. I'll go back on meds if I must, but right now I want to focus on the reasons for my anxiety, not just mask the symptoms. I've done the latter since 1999. Time for a change. I'm not getting any younger! 

• Posted

Hi hun.

No i dont drink at all as i get vitiman b12 injections every 12 weels have done for about 10 yrs. I also have diagnosed ibs that also gets worse as im getting older but the mirt has definatly made it worse. I have the doctors on friday so will let you know how i go. Is it usa youre in im in scotland x

• Posted

Yes, I'm in Chicago. Wait, did you say you're from Scotland and you don't drink? I didn't know that was possible smile

I wold love to visit Scotland. Some friends of mine lived there and I fell in love with their photos. Beautiful. Some of my favorite bands are from there as well, from the 70s and 80s.

Funny you mentioned the B12—I can't take vitamin B complex because it makes my anxiety 10 times worse. I disovered that before I even began treatment for GAD and PTSD. Every once in a while I'll try it again and, sure enough, anxiety comes back like a best. I'm going to ask my new doctor about that, next time I see him. 

• Posted

Hi Kelly

I hope you are feeling a little better. I dropped from 15 to 7.5 and it was horrendous. I then did it slower by going back up and reducing in 3.75 increments after this I was fine. I think you dropped the dose too quickly. Like you I'm sensitive to mess and that dip in withdrawal is horrendous. I am now on venlafaxine and it's been a godsend. So hope you are better ?

• Posted

Hi Lorraine.

I really am wary about going up again with this drug as it caused too many other problems along the way it seemed to make my ibs 100 times worse etc. But i definatly have noticed a huge dip in my mood. I have the doctors on friday not my usual doctor as shes on holiday.

How long have you been on h

Venlafaxine and what side effects did you get xx

• Posted

Hi Kelly

if you are feeling a little better then you should not go back up. Venlafaxine made me feel better within days. No side effects at all (I usually get every horrid side effect with meds) I stopped taking mirt 10 days ago and apart from itching and a bit of retching plus insomnia, I'm doing okay. I have tried 3 ADs prior to venlafaxine and the ordeal of depression lasted a year! I wish i had been prescribed venlafaxine first time around! Please let me know how you get on at the docs xxx

• Posted

Thanks Lorraine.

Depression is such a horrible illness invisible to others who think you look fine.

Did you take the Venlafaxine along side mirt to start or did you have to be completley off it first xx

• Posted

Hi kelly

I started it whilst on mirt 7.5 (it's compatible) i then took myself off mirt as i started to feel so much better. Depression is the worst illness, it's relentless and debilitating until you find the right med. Mirt made me feel slightly better but venlafaxine certainly done the trick and gave me life back!

Kelly don't hang on to meds that are not working. The right AD makes you feel better quite quickly in my view. Dont let the fear if changing to a new tablet stop you from getting well ?

Please let me know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.