Concerns regards my ruptured achilles tendon

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

I was wondering if you could help. I have been worrying endlessly and need some advice please. My situation is I ruptured my achilles tendon on 12 June 2016 (4 weeks and 2 days ago). Went non operative route ie. conservative treatment. Had plaster of paris on for 1 week initially and then it was removed and aircast boot applied to be worn for about 7 weeks. I have many concerns but will try and keep it brief. ie. my main concerns. Straight after the injury I was not able to move any of my toes on  my injured leg side. I did however still have sensation in those toes, which were warm to touch.  I am now just over 4 weeks post injury and still am not able to move any of my toes although they are warm still with sensation. The consultant at my appointment 2 days ago seemed very concerned about this so much so it has made me very concerned. I wanted to know should I be doing toe excercises when in the boot, and is it okay to point the toes in an upward and downward direction, not that I can do this yet. I did start doing toe excercises but then started feeling some twinges in the back of my lower leg and wondered if this was normal. As it's so NB to have foot set in downward position in boot (ie with wedges in boot) I wondered if pointing my toes upward maybe not a good thing? Do not want to hinder the tendon from healing or cause any extra problems.I wondered if any others had this happen to them and what the outcome was? Secondly, I notice I have a significant amount of muscle wasting on my calf now which really concerns me too as I am only at the 4 week mark. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to increase the calf muscle or prevent it from wasting away further? Am not sure if I can or should be excercising my leg at this stage. I want to do whatever I need to do to get better. Maybe some exercises, or some medication to build muscle or ? some protein shakes. I am really concerned about my recovery time with these issues I am having. I need to get back to work asap as I don't have private insurance and have lost my job due to my injury. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You will have great muscle atrophy.  That is a fact.  The majority of people if not everyone ill end u with 1 caf smaller than the noinjured one.  I would say go to a surgeon, get an mri etc to see what is going on. If you are about4-6 weeks since injury, then you may be well outside the window of getting surgery. I went back to work 2 weeks after surgery, but i have desk job.  I could move my toes after injury though it was difficult, then i stopped trying to so i wouldn't aggravate the injury. It is expensive but a serious injury like this requires doctor/surgeon eyes. I'm also a semi pro dancer so safety, quickess of recovery time are important to me.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi - as per the comment below, muscle wastage is inevitable and very difficult/near impossible to get the calf back to normal. What to do about this:- 1. start weight bearing in the boot as soon as you have little pain and initially for short periods - i did this after 2.5 weeks and full weight bearing at 3.5 weeks. 

2. - At 2.5 weeks, sitting down, boot off, i raised my leg gently up and down on my toes several times a day.

3. And this is probably the most important - get out of the boot as soon as is practical/you are allowed to. In my case the 6 week mark. At this point all wastage will stop and can slowly start to reverse.

Toes - cant advise here other than to say I could always move mine and wiggling in the boot will not harm you/your tendon. The boot stops any flexion which can damage.the tendon.

"Recovery" - depends on what was normal for you - not difficult to get back to walking and running hard (16wks for me). Explosive sports - squash, (me), basketball etc willl prove much more difficult, not due to re-rupture risk, but loss of muscle/explosive flexion.

Really hard work on the calf will counter all the wastage - I continue to improve 26months outs. Can run sprint jump bike 100miles and finally play some squash.

Calf is 85% power/endurance of good one.

My injury - very bad and hugely painful tear of tendon & muscle high up on calf, non-op.

• Posted

Hi, I am now exactly 8 weeks post op for full rupture and had final visit with surgeon today. Boot now in the bin and back in normal training shoes. Already had a 30 minute dog walk today and now resting. Here's a summary of what I did which I hope will help you on the road to recovery. 

My surgeon by his own admission, was very conservative and advised me to be pretty much inactive through the first 6 weeks post op. After reading copious amounts about the injury, I decided to be a bit more pro-active (within reason). 

From week 2 - 6 post op, I had the boot off several times each day. This helped the wound breathe and allowed my to do simple movements of my toes and foot in general. Every week, my range of motion improved.

After week 6 post op (4 weeks in boot), I stopped using crutches and walked around in the boot all the time. A bit sore sometimes, but the tendon was well protected and it really helped me get strength and muscle back in my calf and leg which had totally atrophied. I also took the boot off every night which allowed me to sleep much better - never had any probems with this.

Over the last two weeks, I've walked around my office most of the day with boot off and bare feet. This along with doing light physio has been great and I'm amazed at how much I've improved.

If you'd asked me after 4/6 weeks post op, I wouldn't have expected to be where I am till at least 12-16 weeks. 

It seems like an eternity in the early weeks, but with a bit of focus, you'll get back on your feet very soon. 

On your muscle loss, it's unavoidable, but weight bearing on your leg as soon as possible will really help along with a good diet. Also worth taking the boot off regularly and massaging your tendon lightly and calf muscle.

Good luck for a speedy recovery...

Cheers

Kris

• Posted

Hi ali94228, I am sorry to hear about your problems. I ruptured mine on 16th June (today 4 weeks). When it happened my whole leg from knee below went numb and I was very worried about the nerve damage, but following day even with lots pain was able to wiggle my toes, now am able to move them (toes not the ankle of course) to the maximum limit. The ankle exercises which mentioned I am doing them too but extermley worriedand and careful! My calf muscles wasted alot as well, even when I massage it, I don't really feel any muscle. In terms of the sensation, numbness etc., I would have them checked, maybe a MRI scan to make sure that the nerves are intact. Mine had 6cm gap when it's ruptured, I keep wondering how this going to heal (rejoin) on its own, the length of the Achilles tendon is only 15cm!

Please be careful and take it slowly.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi Ali

I am 7 months post my rupture which I did on 16th December. I was able to move my toes a bit from memory but I used to get a lot of tingling. Throughout my recovery I tried to flex my foot backwards and forward and rotate as much as was comfortable and I always stopped when the achilles started to feel tight. By the time I was out of my boot at 10 weeks and had my first physio I had probably about 80-85% normal movement and the physio was very surprised at that. I put that down to my flexing which I would do every evening sat in front of the tv. In my case I just listened to my own body and just knew what I could/should do and get away with. The one thingI will say is that you can't rush the recovery but in my case there has been and still is slow steady progress. If I assess my progress every week it feels like I've got nowhere but if I assess my progress from month to month I feel much happier! 

On the muscle wastage I would say I have very little, not noticable to my OH who I ask to check for me but I can't tense my calf anywhere near as much as my other good one. I'm convinced it will recover close to normal in time, I do single leg calf raises every day in the shower! I have only really walked (some long ones on rough terrain) and cycled (up to 50 miles currently with some hills thrown in) but I am ready mentally to start doing some running now. I'm not a spring chicken either by the way 54 so if that gives you some hope then good! Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.