Frozen Shoulders

Posted , 7 users are following.

Decided not to have the MUA surgery. Best decision because both shoulders are about 95% ROM. Lots of rest and mild movement only. I have found the culprit of my 2 frozen shoulders. Degeneration of cervical disc 4 and 5. Disc 5 bulging. Swelling down now after 11 months. I feel bone on bone in my neck. Lots of cracking. Buy shoulders feel better. I'm on meloxicam for tendinitis and bursitis.

Have patience, it will get better.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That's good news.  How long were your shoulders frozen?  I'm at 5 months and am wondering how much longer this will take.  Saw my orthopedist yesterday and he recommended against MUA and arthroscopic surgery.  He also said to keep doing PT.  I disagreed with that, as I did 12 sessions with no improvement in ROM at all.  Am just doing some mild exercises at home.

• Posted

Good move (IMHO). I have had it twice. The first time in my left shoulder was the worst. The more I tried to speed it up, the longer it took to heal. Wound up taking over 3 years to finally get over. Then after that, I got it in my right shoulder. Decided to do nothing but PT and MSM supplements this time. Well, I'm not even one year yet and I'm about 75% ROM and pain nearly nonexistent. About the only thing I still can't do is get my right hand behind my back. That is the last hurdle in the process. Best of luck to you and classic frozen shoulder WILL go away, eventually, but the more one fights it, the more it seems to get nasty and fight back. That's my experience anyway. Regards, Mike.

• Posted

You are right i found the same the more physical you get with frozen shoulder the worse it gets but let it run its course with light excersise physio is ok. But everytime they get a bit harder during physio i go backwards for weeks. People say no pain no gain but my personal experience and that of almost everyone ive spoken to that has had a true frozen shoulder tells you the same.

Time and patience is what you need.

Lauren

• Posted

Hello. Can you explain the thawing phase. I'm on month 7. So sharp shocking pains. I do have dull achiness and about 25-30 % ROM. So does the thawing come on slow and take awhile? At about how far into the process did the thawing start and how long did it last. I'm anxious.

• Posted

Tracy I was too still having ripping pain my 6 and 7 months. Then it all started to demenish. Slowly day by day. Mild movement, lots of rest and an anti inflammatory meds. I never took steroid shot. Just muscle relaxers, pain meds, meloxicam, light movement, rest and good diet. Time and Patience
    • Posted

The last phase. Realistically it doesn't happen until about 18 months after initial diagnosis if you have the common frozen shoulder associated with type 1 diabetes, thyroid issues or menopause. This phase lasts the longest, but is WAY more tolerable as the condition SLOWLY fades out. You won't wake up one day and be all of a sudden cured. It's a long fade out, but you will start noticing major increased ROM, and all the pain and "zingers" will be long gone. I'm just now entering this phase at about 1 year into it, but it took over 2 years the first time I had it in my opposite shoulder. Hope this helps and best wishes, Mike.

• Posted

Thank you I just now seen your response. I think I am in this last phase or near it. I'm just entering menopause. No diabetes. Not officially menopausal as it hadn't quite been a year but I'm close. I did have an uterine ablation 5 years ago tho. No zingers from the shoulder. Some discomfort. Bad ROM. Been close to 8 months mane longer as I believe I started feeling twinges for awhile before the horrible zinger pain which was in January. Twinges maybe Nov/Dec. I wish I would have taken better note of that but chalked it up to over use. Thanks for responding.

• Posted

Do you think your better from time alone or did you need to treat the neck issues? Perhaps the meds? Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.