Does Omeprazole inhibit absorption of vitamins and minerals?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking Omeprazole for 18 months for gastritis. I have also been prescribed with iron, ferrous fumerate, as my ferritin level is low. Below 12. I can't seem to get my iron levels up and am always drained and tired. I have a blood test every six months. And I try to have a good diet of iron rich foods. I take the Omeprazole first thing in the morning as directed. Then usually have vitamins and iron after breakfast. Has anyone experienced Omeprazole inhibiting absorption of iron? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes I suffered this too and low vit d and low phosphorus.  I dont know if you can improve your levels while on omeprazole..... ask your GP if there is any alternative.   
    • Posted

Thanks. Yes I do need to discuss with GP. I'm not sure how much I need the omeprazole. Guess I'll know if I stop. Better to get iron levels up and feel stronger.

I've wondered about taking the iron later in the day with evening meal.10 hours after omeprazole.

• Posted

My problem was actually low acid as a result of long term anxiety but as low acid gives the same symptoms as having to much acid I had actually been wrongly treat with antiacids. I was severely low with many vital nutrients and vitamins as a result of the wrong diagnosis. I was suffering from hypochlorhydria. (Low acid). The omeprazole was the totally wrong treatment for me but as the symptoms are feelings of indigestion the GP must have thought that I needed antiacids!! I had previously suffered from h pylori too. It would be worth being tested for that with the gp too!

I do know that avoiding calcium at the same time as taking iron can help with regards absorption. Also it's good to take vit c with the iron to assist absorption.

Thank you

Karen

• Posted

It does get quite confusing knowing what to take and when! I try to avoid dairy when taking iron and increase Vit C. I've had palpitations which can be a symptom of anaemia, menopause and a side effect of omeprazole! Very confusing knowing what to treat first.

• Posted

I was on Omeprazole for 18 years, as best I can figure.  I never had low vitamin levels when tested, although I always supplemented with magnesium, and a few months back, I had my vitamin D levels checked, and they were far above maximum levels.  I am, however, off it, weaning slowly.  I do, also, have to continue taking Rantinidine, daily.  I have always have an acidic stomach, and without something, I am miserable.  It makes me sad that the one thing that made me feel wonderful, with zero reflux and heartburn, is now something to fear.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

It's the only explanation I have for the low iron apart from heavy periods. But I've been taking iron supplements for over a year.

Why did you feel you had to stop taking the omeprazole?

• Posted

My doctor suggested it.  She put me on the Rantinidne, but I started, and stopped it, went back on, and weaned myself slowly for a month.  Now I take the Rantinidine every day, 300 mgs.
  • Posted

Iron malabsorption can indeed be due to induced hypochlorhydria from large dose of acid suppressants over a long period.

If you visit the free book / website: www DownWithAcid org uk, you will find a chapter on induced hypochlorhydria.

• Posted

Thank you Barretts. I was hoping you would respond. You are very knowledgeable on this subject. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.