What will my GP ask me about my missed periods?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 19 and haven't had a period since February 2014 (a long time I know). I've never been comfortable talking about all this with anyone but I recently told my mum and she's booked me in to see my GP. I'm just nervous about the questions she's going to ask me and the things she might ask me to do. I've hears of internal ultrasounds being a possibility but I'm still a virgin so that's worrying me a bit. Does anyone have any answers? Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

She will probably ask if you have ever experienced an absent period before and when you first started your period. If your periods are painful and also when you did have periods were they regular (every 28-35 days) They will probably offer you birth control (to help regulate your hormones and period) and something to make your period start. She will probably order several blood test. I'm not sure of the ultra sound or pelvic exam since you're a virgin (I wasn't on my first exam). Have you had any weight gain since you last had a period? Sometimes young woman periods will disappear for a few months or years and then return. You will soon learn that our bodies can be unpredictable. Hopefully you will have a good experience on your first well woman exam.

• Posted

Thank you so much! I've put on weight bit by bit ever since I was nine and then I had my first period when i was twelve. They were okay for the first few years, some more painful than others, and then they stopped for a few months, came back, stopped for a year, came back and then stopped back in 2014 and have yet to start up again. Thanks again for your help.

• Posted

I'm 19 too ?? Yes I know it's worrying but if the doctors find what they want to know from just a ultrasound and blood tests is good!

I had an internal ultrasound and believe me I was scared yes it's uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt so you'll be fine if it comes to that. Just take you mum or someone with you and squeeze there hand! Haha

Hope that helped ease you a little sorry if I was no help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.